Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I had more than a few flight number changes today and a few minor time changes.
Most weeks, this is all I have. This week, DL is removing flights from the schedule right and left and making me work to save itineraries.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hey all, first time Delta flyer coming soon - and I was just hit by a schedule change and I would like some guidance please. They changed my comfortable 100min layover to 46min.

Was: DL2995 09:00 - 13:26
Is: DL160 10:00 - 14:23
Connecting: DL160 15:09 (MSP-AMS)

It's exactly a one hour change departing, but only 57 minutes difference in MSP. I'm freaked out because we are connecting to a DeltaOne international flight, and a 45min connection isn't something I'd ever book on (a) a snowy airport, (b) on an overseas flight, or (c) during a holiday travel weekend like Thanskgiving. Delta has now changed my flight to be (d) all of the above. EEK!

DL2995 is still available but it was moved to 07:30-11:53. Honestly, I'm pretty seriously thinking that I'd rather wait in MSP for almost four hours than a minimum connection time, would they put us back?

But also relevant, is that our new flight# is the same as the MSP-AMS flight (DL160). Obviously it's a different aircraft (MD80 to A330), but does Delta using the same Flight# indicate some sort of 'married' segment and they wouldn't let the A330 leave without us?

The scheduled arrival in Amsterdam is non-negotiable for a few reasons that aren't relevant.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Hey all, first time Delta flyer coming soon - and I was just hit by a schedule change and I would like some guidance please. They changed my comfortable 100min layover to 46min.

Was: DL2995 09:00 - 13:26
Is: DL160 10:00 - 14:23
Connecting: DL160 15:09 (MSP-AMS)

It's exactly a one hour change departing, but only 57 minutes difference in MSP. I'm freaked out because we are connecting to a DeltaOne international flight, and a 45min connection isn't something I'd ever book on (a) a snowy airport, (b) on an overseas flight, or (c) during a holiday travel weekend like Thanskgiving. Delta has now changed my flight to be (d) all of the above. EEK!

DL2995 is still available but it was moved to 07:30-11:53. Honestly, I'm pretty seriously thinking that I'd rather wait in MSP for almost four hours than a minimum connection time, would they put us back?

But also relevant, is that our new flight# is the same as the MSP-AMS flight (DL160). Obviously it's a different aircraft (MD80 to A330), but does Delta using the same Flight# indicate some sort of 'married' segment and they wouldn't let the A330 leave without us?

The scheduled arrival in Amsterdam is non-negotiable for a few reasons that aren't relevant.
The same flight number most definitely does not mean that DL will hold the 2nd plane. Actually, it offers you no benefits whatsoever. It does mean that you get fewer miles (DL will calculate the distance from your origin to AMS, rather than the sum of the distances of your 2 flights).

Yes you are entitled to a free change.

I also would not want a 46min connection to an international flight. I would take the early morning flight to MSP.

You don't mention where your origin is (I'm guessing based on the flight times that it's on the West Coast). In which case, consider switching to SEA-AMS, SLC-AMS, LAX-AMS, SFO-AMS etc to avoid the 4-hour connection.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by kjnangre
The same flight number most definitely does not mean that DL will hold the 2nd plane. Actually, it offers you no benefits whatsoever. It does mean that you get fewer miles (DL will calculate the distance from your origin to AMS, rather than the sum of the distances of your 2 flights).

Yes you are entitled to a free change.

I also would not want a 46min connection to an international flight. I would take the early morning flight.

You don't mention where your origin is (I'm guessing based on the flight times that it's on the West Coast). In which case, consider switching to SEA-AMS, SLC-AMS, LAX-AMS, SFO-AMS etc to avoid the 4-hour connection.
The full route is PHX-MSP-AMS-TXL. We paid $180/pp more for this routing to get to Berlin as early as possible (compared to a 19:42 MSP-AMS leg). That's the one I'd be afraid an IIROPS would result in and I know I'd never see our $360 again.

If I move to 07:30 we have a 3.25hr connection in MSP; I guess in my agitation I did the math wrong. I checked alternatives and we can't do much better than that (2.5hr if we go PHX-JFK-CDG-TXL, or 3hr if we go PHX-ATL-CDG-TXL, both of these on Air France).

So thank you for your help. I will call them to get moved to the earlier flight to Minneapolis.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
The full route is PHX-MSP-AMS-TXL. We paid $180/pp more for this routing to get to Berlin as early as possible (compared to a 19:42 MSP-AMS leg). That's the one I'd be afraid an IIROPS would result in and I know I'd never see our $360 again.

If I move to 07:30 we have a 3.25hr connection in MSP; I guess in my agitation I did the math wrong. I checked alternatives and we can't do much better than that (2.5hr if we go PHX-JFK-CDG-TXL, or 3hr if we go PHX-ATL-CDG-TXL, both of these on Air France).

So thank you for your help. I will call them to get moved to the earlier flight to Minneapolis.
The could move you to PHX-LAX-AMS or PHX-SLC-AMS or even PHX-SEA-AMS or PHX-LAX-CDG-TXL, etc....

AF/KL are JV on TATL with DL so it doesn't matter whose metal you fly. They split costs/revenue equally. Just find the routing that works best for you and call and ask. regardless of what it sells for today they'll change for free.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Xeno
I had more than a few flight number changes today and a few minor time changes.

I wish there was a way to auto-update TripIt with these weekly DL changes.
Kayak Trips actually does a reasonably good job of tracking/updating for changes like this. Not perfect, but more than decent IME.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The could move you to PHX-LAX-AMS or PHX-SLC-AMS or even PHX-SEA-AMS or PHX-LAX-CDG-TXL, etc....

AF/KL are JV on TATL with DL so it doesn't matter whose metal you fly. They split costs/revenue equally. Just find the routing that works best for you and call and ask. regardless of what it sells for today they'll change for free.
I was interested in the A330 product specifically which is why I mentioned the metal, more than any concern over DL approving a schedule change. The ATL & JFK routes actually leave Phoenix the same time as the earlier MSP flight so I have stayed with the original routing but took an earlier MSP flight. I had to call Delta Vacations for it and they say it should be confirmed tomorrow. Thanks again for your help, flyerCO and kjnangre!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I used GUCs on KLM flights and was booked into Z class. There was a schedule change on my return flight, changing a 1.5 hour layover in AMS to a 6 hour layover. There are Air France flights on the same day with a much better layover in CDG. Any chance Delta would let me switch? I did not book one of the expensive fare codes that permit GUC usage on Air France. And there are no 1-stop routings available on Delta metal unfortunately.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I used GUCs on KLM flights and was booked into Z class. There was a schedule change on my return flight, changing a 1.5 hour layover in AMS to a 6 hour layover. There are Air France flights on the same day with a much better layover in CDG. Any chance Delta would let me switch? I did not book one of the expensive fare codes that permit GUC usage on Air France. And there are no 1-stop routings available on Delta metal unfortunately.
I doubt it, especially with DL/KL being an option, just not as nice of one now. But are there any O/D's that would have 1 stop DL/KL flights that are close to your original itinerary. Or is the schedule different the day before/day after?
Hard to give better advice without more info.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:01 am

Some TATL schedules affected deep into 2018

Seems like more schedule changes rolled out today, including a 70 min change in departure time for ATL-MUC in May next year - so check your TATL flights for changes.
With that in mind, my layover in Munich went from 2h to just over 3h (and in ATL layover time is 70 min less but still over MCT). Do you think I might have any options in getting a different routing?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by klanfa
Seems like more schedule changes rolled out today, including a 70 min change in departure time for ATL-MUC in May next year - so check your TATL flights for changes.
Even JFK-BCN had an equipment change to a 764 (from an A330) and a departure time change for May.

I also noticed the flight durations increased by nearly 30 minutes. I know they've got to keep their fantastic on-time percentage, but really?
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I also noticed the flight durations increased by nearly 30 minutes. I know they've got to keep their fantastic on-time percentage, but really?
+1.
SLC-AMS flight duration increased by 34 minutes.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Don't be too derisive here. Aircraft and crew utilisation is a big part of profitably. There's a reason that airlines are always trying to speed up boarding and lower turnover time, every minute counts. When DL does something like this, it's very expensive.

Let's say there a route that is frequently late and passengers are unhappy about missing appointments and stressing about tight connections. DL spends a lot of money to increase the duration by 30 minutes, that results in happier and less stressed passengers. That means DL is spending money to make customers happier and less stressed. It's not such a terrible thing
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have tried four separate times to accept changes on a revenue D1 ticket to SYD/AKL and each time this fails.

I will call in later if this is not resolved.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Don't be too derisive here. Aircraft and crew utilisation is a big part of profitably. There's a reason that airlines are always trying to speed up boarding and lower turnover time, every minute counts. When DL does something like this, it's very expensive.

Let's say there a route that is frequently late and passengers are unhappy about missing appointments and stressing about tight connections. DL spends a lot of money to increase the duration by 30 minutes, that results in happier and less stressed passengers. That means DL is spending money to make customers happier and less stressed. It's not such a terrible thing
I wasn't being derisive, but rather I was surprised they would add half an hour instead of just a few minutes like they usually do.

You pose some interesting points, and I agree. Someone must have done the calculations and figured it was worth it (in some sense).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.