Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:12 pm

So I was originally supposed to take DL4290 from IND to MSP on December 10 at 7:13 am operated by Shuttle America. The scheduled was changed and now I was put on DL3914 leaving at 9:37 am going from IND to MSP.

The crazy part is that it looks like everyone who was on DL4290 was put on DL3914 as first class is now oversold 2 and the back is oversold by 40. (Yes that is not typed wrong...forty). The plane has a capacity of 76 and now there are 118 people now booked onto the flight. Think it might change to a Delta metal plane to accommodate the extra 42 people that do not have a seat on the plane or how much would they offer as a voucher for this flight?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Xu Guan
So I was originally supposed to take DL4290 from IND to MSP on December 10 at 7:13 am operated by Shuttle America. The scheduled was changed and now I was put on DL3914 leaving at 9:37 am going from IND to MSP.

The crazy part is that it looks like everyone who was on DL4290 was put on DL3914 as first class is now oversold 2 and the back is oversold by 40. (Yes that is not typed wrong...forty). The plane has a capacity of 76 and now there are 118 people now booked onto the flight. Think it might change to a Delta metal plane to accommodate the extra 42 people that do not have a seat on the plane or how much would they offer as a voucher for this flight?
Wait until later today when the system finishes reassignments. Worst case is that you get moved to a later flight (all of which have available capacity). The most likely scenarios are an upgauge of 3914 or more likely, a replacement carrier for 4290. The system has to keep you somewhere while the solution is derived.

If you're connecting in MSP, preplan what your options are so you can be prepared if you need to call for a change. Also, if you can't live with how it ends up, AND if they change to mainline or another carrier, you're entitled to a refund.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

How do you know that FC is overbooked by 2 and coach by 40? AFAIK this data is proprietary, although airlines are obligated to tell you (yes or no) whether a flight is overbooked or not if you ask.

BTW, you mean overbooked and not oversold, which happens when too many passengers show up on the day of departure.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you know that FC is overbooked by 2 and coach by 40? AFAIK this data is proprietary, although airlines are obligated to tell you (yes or no) whether a flight is overbooked or not if you ask.

BTW, you mean overbooked and not oversold, which happens when too many passengers show up on the day of departure.
The OP of this subthread is a DM and may have a friend or relative who works for the airline and gave him the information. They also probably forgot to tell him/her not to post the specifics on FT.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The OP of this subthread is a DM and may have a friend or relative who works for the airline and gave him the information. They also probably forgot to tell him/her not to post the specifics on FT.
Being a DM has nothing to do with this.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Being a DM has nothing to do with this.
It does, in that the poster (with only 5 posts) is not a novice or newbie,and flies enough to have a fair amount of knowledge about procedures and possibly has made friends with DL employees, particularly if based at an outstation.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've very often gotten overbooked/oversold numbers from Delta agents just by asking politely. When a Gate Agent announces over the PA "We need 6 volunteers" I don't consider the fact that the flight is oversold by 6 to be confidential.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:02 am

Actually the agent on the phone gave it to me when I inquired about the schedule change.

It appears the same flight, DL 4290, from IND to MSP was cancelled today. The 7:00 AM flight is cancelled until December 19 when Delta metal picks it up again. Shuttle America is supposed to pick the route up again on Jan 5 next year.

I guess the pilot shortage is very real at this point.

Last edited by Xu Guan; Dec 7, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:32 am

Actually the agent on the phone gave it to me when I inquired about the schedule change.

It appears the same flight, DL 4290, from IND to MSP was cancelled today. The 7:00 AM flight is cancelled until December 19 when Delta metal picks it up again. Shuttle America is supposed to pick the route up again on Jan 5 next year.

I guess the pilot shortage is very real at this point.
Thanks for the update. I'll assume that you've taken care of rebooking but if you haven't. do so immediately while you still have options.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had an MD-88 turn into a 717-200 for MSN-DTW next April. Pretty minor as far as these things go.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Something else that seems to happen on these Saturday things. Seen this at least on two saturdays so far.

I am watching seat assignments closely on a ICN-DTW 747 Biz for April trying to snag 1A.

Anyways, all of a sudden, another handful of passengers seem to appear with assigned seats. Later in the day or Sunday, they go away and it is back at the same number of "occupied" seats.

Weird stuff.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Just a bump of the thread as I had some MAJOR changes to my March trips!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Just a bump of the thread as I had some MAJOR changes to my March trips!
And, those changes were??????
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And, those changes were??????
DL Mainline changes. 4 of 4 segments. One of them over 1 hour.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:51 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The only one I can find on my trips, is, EWR/ATL/LAX changed from a 50 minute connection to 35!!!

It's not showing "RED" and I checked the schedule, and IT'S THERE! So, apparently, 35 minutes is a legal DD connection at ATL!

That said, I'm not really comfortable with it, so, I looked for alternatives, hoping they'll change it for me, but, nothing else really looks good to me without changing hubs and losing MQMs! I could ask for LGA vs EWR, but that's a 44 minute connection. Not a whole lot better.

THAT said . . . . I suppose I SHOULD try to change it. If I miss ATL/LAX and get a cr@ppy seat for a later flight - particularly on a B739 - I'll be REALLY peeved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.