Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JSprague24
I was looking into buying tickets on a CMH-MSP/ATL-SAN-MSP-CMH routing and the schedule went from CR9/739-757/753-753-739 to CR9/739-753/764-753-319.

Is ~60 days out still the typical rule of thumb for when schedules are locked in? I feel like there's a better chance for upgrades on a 764 than on a 753 and would hate for an ATL-SAN segment to get dumped down to a 739 or 321.
There is no typical rule these days, plenty of changes have been made within 60 days. (If Europe shuts to Americans, or America opens to visitors, I'd expect quick changes.) If the schedule actually changes, though, you will be able to change flights.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by xliioper
ATL-ATH looks like it now ends on Oct 29th (with last return flights on 10/30). ATL-OKC looks like it will still be 5x mainline on weekdays (down from 6x daily mainline).
Now that the dust has settled, two of my OKC-ATL-OKC flights are now A319 and A320. However, a Wed AM flight OKC-ATL is now an RJ, howbeit a RJ9.
I still have never forgiven DL for putting us on one their smallest RJs for ATL-OKC which was a terrible way to end a day of 20+ hours of flying.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
Now that the dust has settled, two of my OKC-ATL-OKC flights are now A319 and A320. However, a Wed AM flight OKC-ATL is now an RJ, howbeit a RJ9.
I still have never forgiven DL for putting us on one their smallest RJs for ATL-OKC which was a terrible way to end a day of 20+ hours of flying.
The daily RJ flight only looks to be a part of the September/early October schedule. I don't see any in schedule after Oct 10th when it looks to go back to all mainline.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:27 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Our November JFK-SFO-JFK flights for Thanksgiving were upgauged from 75S to 76Z and the 0830 SFO-JFK departure became 0700. Overall, I consider this to be a downgrade in both equipment (we're up front) and schedule but there aren't any better alternate flight options right now.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
For January, ATL-SCL r/t was changed from a
764 to a 333.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
For January, ATL-SCL r/t was changed from a
764 to a 333.
They've been running an A333 on the route since last January and have now extended it to run through March 26th. Not scheduled to switch back to a 764 until March 27th now.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I don't know if this is a weird issue or typical. I'm scheduled in October ATW-MSP-MCO. My buddy is joining me on the MSP-MCO leg. He got notified today that the flight was changed, new flight number and time moved up by a half hour or so. I haven't received any notification that my flights been changed, when I look at in on the app or the website it shows the old information but says there has been a schedule change that I need to acknowledge. I just checked and Delta is selling an ATW-MCO routing that has my ATW-MSP flight and my buddies new MSP-MCO flight. Do I need to be concerned about this and planning an alternate routing? Or is this typical and will get fixed overnight tonight as a regular part of the schedule?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
I don't know if this is a weird issue or typical. I'm scheduled in October ATW-MSP-MCO. My buddy is joining me on the MSP-MCO leg. He got notified today that the flight was changed, new flight number and time moved up by a half hour or so. I haven't received any notification that my flights been changed, when I look at in on the app or the website it shows the old information but says there has been a schedule change that I need to acknowledge. I just checked and Delta is selling an ATW-MCO routing that has my ATW-MSP flight and my buddies new MSP-MCO flight. Do I need to be concerned about this and planning an alternate routing? Or is this typical and will get fixed overnight tonight as a regular part of the schedule?
Clicking acknowledge usually fixes it
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
The weekly drill continues. Our KOA-SEA-IAD got a long connection that added about 2.5 hours to the arrival time. I noticed that I could route KOA-HNL-SLC-DCA to get in at my orignial time, switch to DCA, and have a lie-flat seat for the red-eye segment from HNL-SLC. At first, DL didn't want to change us, but I pointed out that my (81 year-old) mother had a separate reservation to return home flying DCA-DTW that evening. And, coincidentally, DL has also changed her flight which created a mis-connect.

So, we all got the changed route, and I'm happy with the better flights. But, this took another hour of my time on the phone to get a decent flight after a DL schedule change. It's gotten to the point that I've just stopped booking new trips on Delta.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
Officially questioning my 15+ year Delta loyalty

I just can't deal with this nonsense anymore. Flying JFK-PDX with my infant son and wife in October. I've now had my itinerary exploded 5 times with these ridiculous scheduling changes. And because of Delta's inability to process the simple notion of a lap infant online, I'm unable to do anything except wait on 3+ hour hold to fix the busted itineraries they keep auto-scheduling me into.

The latest change was the complete removal of the nonstop PDX-JFK flight from my itinerary, and replacement with PDX-SLC-JFK. I suppose that's fine, except for the fact that they expect me to make a 34 minute layover in SLC. With an infant! Are you kidding me?

Feeling Iike I'm just going to take my business to Alaska for this trip, they seem to manage to be able to keep their schedule set for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I sat down this afternoon and reviewed all of my reservations now that the dust has settled from yesterday's Schedule Change Saturday. All 6 of my itineraries were impacted in some way.

I am happy to report I was able to successfully modify a trip online for the first time in ages. And more notably, this was a reservation that had already had multiple changes, ticket reissues, etc. I was able to pick out a more suitable set of return flights, and the system processed it as an even exchange. New e-ticket numbers issued, all looks good.

Here's my question: For the other 5 itineraries I have, none were severe enough to warrant making any changes (or I guess I should say no suitable alternatives exist... DL definitely made cuts in October). Anyway, no new e-tickets were issued. All reservations still have the original e-ticket numbers. Anyone suspect this will cause an issue come checkin time? There were no date, origin, destination, or connection city changes. There were, however, A LOT of flight number changes (almost every flight) and many time / aircraft type changes. Not trying to be paranoid, and I don't relish having to call DL to get 5 separate PNRs re-issued, but just debating if I should trust the tickets to be "re-validated" or call to have them "re-issued."
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Here's my question: For the other 5 itineraries I have, none were severe enough to warrant making any changes (or I guess I should say no suitable alternatives exist... DL definitely made cuts in October). Anyway, no new e-tickets were issued. All reservations still have the original e-ticket numbers. Anyone suspect this will cause an issue come checkin time? There were no date, origin, destination, or connection city changes. There were, however, A LOT of flight number changes (almost every flight) and many time / aircraft type changes. Not trying to be paranoid, and I don't relish having to call DL to get 5 separate PNRs re-issued, but just debating if I should trust the tickets to be "re-validated" or call to have them "re-issued."
They're fine, no need to worry
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:54 pm

This seems like such a basic thing but I'm stumped. How do I select new seats for a schedule changed flight?

Details: We're flying Delta LGA-MSP-ANC in November and we have a minor schedule change (over 3 hours in MSP with both old and new flight numbers) and now the old flight shows an error message of "Due to a schedule change, you will miss your connecting flight. Please review your scheduled itinerary and contact our Reservations team for alternative flight options." We have plenty of time and I'm perfectly happy with the new flights so this error message seems irrelevant. We have two flights listed for MSP-ANC, the old one has passenger status "schedule changed" while the new one has passenger status "confirmed".

The system won't let me select new seats on the new flight. What am I missing? Up at the top of the page it also gives me the "modify flight" option which I don't need or want to do.

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
This seems like such a basic thing but I'm stumped. How do I select new seats for a schedule changed flight?

Details: We're flying Delta LGA-MSP-ANC in November and we have a minor schedule change (over 3 hours in MSP with both old and new flight numbers) and now the old flight shows an error message of "Due to a schedule change, you will miss your connecting flight. Please review your scheduled itinerary and contact our Reservations team for alternative flight options." We have plenty of time and I'm perfectly happy with the new flights so this error message seems irrelevant. We have two flights listed for MSP-ANC, the old one has passenger status "schedule changed" while the new one has passenger status "confirmed".

The system won't let me select new seats on the new flight. What am I missing? Up at the top of the page it also gives me the "modify flight" option which I don't need or want to do.

Thanks!
Hmmm, by chance does the "Acknowledge" button appear around the same area as the "Modify" button? That usually cleans things up and would cause the old flight to go away and the new one to display. It also typically enables the seat map for the new flight.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Hmmm, by chance does the "Acknowledge" button appear around the same area as the "Modify" button? That usually cleans things up and would cause the old flight to go away and the new one to display. It also typically enables the seat map for the new flight.
Negative, when I search the page for "acknowledge" there are zero results. I should have also mentioned that the tickets were purchased via the Amex travel portal so I don't know if that is mucking things up. The Amex "manage trip" page already reflects the new flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.