Wiki Posts
Search

DL or MU to PVG in Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
DL or MU to PVG in Business

DL diamond flying NYC - PVG and have the choice of flying direct on MU on the 773 or DL via DTW on a 772.

I have extensive experience with D1 but have never flown MU up front. How would you compare the hard and soft products? If MU is inferior, is it sufficiently inferior to warrant a connection in DTW?

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How convenient are the schedules for you? Are the differences in MQM/RDM/MQD earnings significant for you?

My instinct would be to stick with DL because MU customer service doesn't have a good reputation but YMMV. Also, DL is 1-2-1 seating on the 777 with genuine flat beds all having direct aisle access, but how is the MU aircraft configured in business class? You'll also get better wine in more generous servings on DL.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Great follow-up Q's. If I book on MU it would be a DL codeshare so MQM, MQDs etc would all flow through.

It appears that MU flys at 773 with 1-2-1 with a reverse herringbone configuration--flat bed (all according to seatguru). SG also claims the MU seat is 2.5" wider FWIW.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by finny52
Great follow-up Q's. If I book on MU it would be a DL codeshare so MQM, MQDs etc would all flow through.

It appears that MU flys at 773 with 1-2-1 with a reverse herringbone configuration--flat bed (all according to seatguru). SG also claims the MU seat is 2.5" wider FWIW.
I know sometimes it feels like partner earn less miles but many times the MQM are the same and they get more miles because of the distance base but also a medallion mileage bonus. It is at 120% of whatever base miles u earn for DM on some partner.

I haven't check this yet but this is something to consider sometimes especially on a VS PE fare that is low
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:42 am

My experience with MU is mainly domestic China flights. Service is OK, but the FAs typically do not speak good English; perhaps this is better on their International routes.

I have also had domestic China experience with CZ (China Southern). Their service is generally superior to MU, and the level of English is better than MU.

Given the choice, I would go DL, CZ, MU.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
My experience with MU is mainly domestic China flights. Service is OK, but the FAs typically do not speak good English; perhaps this is better on their International routes.

I have also had domestic China experience with CZ (China Southern). Their service is generally superior to MU, and the level of English is better than MU.

Given the choice, I would go DL, CZ, MU.
I agree with yoour impressions about CZ versus MU, but I don't think the OP has a CZ option.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree with yoour impressions about CZ versus MU, but I don't think the OP has a CZ option.
Understood, but I added it in case he does.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
Understood, but I added it in case he does.
Thanks all... given that this is marketed as Delta, I'm going to earn the full 150% MQM on MU which is all I care about. At the end of the day, DL metal via DTW was $5k more ($11k R/T versus $6k) so I let the dollars speak (especially given the mileage earning cap)

Your insights on the merits of MU vs. CZ are helpful as I'm going to fly onward to CAN from PVG. Will definitely take CZ.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP, I assume in your original post that by "direct" for the MU flight, you actually meant non-stop, correct? although used interchangeably, they are not the same thing and if both flights involve a connection, my choice -- all else being equal -- is to go with the DL bird since you're "in Delta's hands" in case anything goes wrong with IRROPS or anything.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by finny52
Thanks all... given that this is marketed as Delta, I'm going to earn the full 150% MQM on MU which is all I care about. At the end of the day, DL metal via DTW was $5k more ($11k R/T versus $6k) so I let the dollars speak (especially given the mileage earning cap)

Your insights on the merits of MU vs. CZ are helpful as I'm going to fly onward to CAN from PVG. Will definitely take CZ.
If CAN is your destination and you do not need to make a stopover at PVG, I would look for a flight that goes to CAN. If possible, it's better to avoid connections at mainland Chinese airports. You often need to claim and recheck bags, sometimes taking them between terminals. There can be bad ATC and weather delays as well as lots of cancelled flights. For CAN, look for a CZ operated USA-CAN nonstop flight. Or think about some other connection, such as KE through ICN. Unfortunately DL doesn't operate NRT-CAN, although there might be a same day NRT connection that doesn't require a terminal change. Yet another option would be USA-HKG-CAN with the last leg on CZ to keep yourself on SkyTeam.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
If CAN is your destination and you do not need to make a stopover at PVG, I would look for a flight that goes to CAN. If possible, it's better to avoid connections at mainland Chinese airports. You often need to claim and recheck bags, sometimes taking them between terminals. There can be bad ATC and weather delays as well as lots of cancelled flights. For CAN, look for a CZ operated USA-CAN nonstop flight. Or think about some other connection, such as KE through ICN. Unfortunately DL doesn't operate NRT-CAN, although there might be a same day NRT connection that doesn't require a terminal change. Yet another option would be USA-HKG-CAN with the last leg on CZ to keep yourself on SkyTeam.
I agree to this u should try to avoid connection in China

But one thing is worth to note while CZ FA has better English in general as it base in Gaunhzhou, when MU is Shanghai. Both carriers put only FA who has receive some training before serving on these international flights.

Airlines are subsidized and it also suppose to represent China when they fly out and therefore as a member of the communist party (most coperrate heads and management are in the communist party)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all... I added the PVG stop over for a few days before proceeding onto CAN so the non-stop to CAN on CZ isn't really an option unless I want to backtrack.

Warnings heeded on CN ATC delays but I have a feeling I will get a few no matter how hard I try given that I have 6 mainland stops on my 8 day trip.

Once again, appreciate all of the help.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
I would prefer DL over MU, but not for that price difference...

I'm in China now and flew Hainan airlines to get here because it was $4k difference...(and on a 787). Trying to be a good steward of company travel funds.

My experience with Chinese carriers is that the service is NOT as good as DL in general...still some communications difficulties with flight attendants.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dk240t
I would prefer DL over MU, but not for that price difference...

I'm in China now and flew Hainan airlines to get here because it was $4k difference...(and on a 787). Trying to be a good steward of company travel funds.

My experience with Chinese carriers is that the service is NOT as good as DL in general...still some communications difficulties with flight attendants.
how was the hard product?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 777 on MU will have better seats than anything DL offers currently. Food will be better if you like Chinese, probably worse if you prefer western food. Flight attendants are going to try harder than on DL in general but English will be much worse obviously. For a long flight like that I'd take the nonstop, especially since the hard product is better on MU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.