FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL or MU to PVG in Business
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:12 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by finny52
Thanks all... given that this is marketed as Delta, I'm going to earn the full 150% MQM on MU which is all I care about. At the end of the day, DL metal via DTW was $5k more ($11k R/T versus $6k) so I let the dollars speak (especially given the mileage earning cap)

Your insights on the merits of MU vs. CZ are helpful as I'm going to fly onward to CAN from PVG. Will definitely take CZ.
If CAN is your destination and you do not need to make a stopover at PVG, I would look for a flight that goes to CAN. If possible, it's better to avoid connections at mainland Chinese airports. You often need to claim and recheck bags, sometimes taking them between terminals. There can be bad ATC and weather delays as well as lots of cancelled flights. For CAN, look for a CZ operated USA-CAN nonstop flight. Or think about some other connection, such as KE through ICN. Unfortunately DL doesn't operate NRT-CAN, although there might be a same day NRT connection that doesn't require a terminal change. Yet another option would be USA-HKG-CAN with the last leg on CZ to keep yourself on SkyTeam.