Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:50 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
DL's own PR here shows that DL is paying to AA 5x less than AA is paying to DL. AA is paying to DL 5x more, as DL itself states (presuming the payment is proportional to the pax flown, and as it is based on each unique case, it should be approx. so). DL is obviously doing all it can to avoid reaccommodating its pax on other airlines (hence its 5x lesser payment to AA than from AA to DL), instead leaving them stranded for longer (sometimes days) and forcing them to fly out on DL much later (just like the low-cost carriers do, which DL seems to be wishing to become). It would be interesting to see for how many more hours longer are DL pax stranded in irrops, due to DL's poor handling of that by doing all it can to avoid accommodating pax on other airlines, than AA pax, where pax are readily accommodated on other airlines in case of need, as DL's own PR shows.
What you say above is not "obvious" based on the data available (personal anecdotes aside).

From July 2014 to July 2015:
Delta: 0.46% flights cancelled
Delta: 85.22% on-time

AA: 1.55% of flights cancelled
AA: 76.57% on-time
The above excludes contract carriers as that data is difficult to ascertain.

Rather than Delta "avoiding" sending passengers to AA during IROPs, the data suggests that AA has a more frequent opportunity to send their passengers to Delta during IROPs.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
In my recent UA>DL experience, the ticket price did show up when it posted to my DL account since that's how DL awards miles these days. It was about double the cost of what I paid UA for the segment in the first place.

I suppose if there is a fixed, agreed-upon interline price of some sort then it all comes down to averages - some will be higher and some lower. And that is the matter that the two sides have to negotiate and agree upon (or not in this case).
+1 I also received a receipt from AA when I got rebooked on them from my original DAl flight. It had a detailed price on it (and it was CHEAP, even if Y fare)
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Exactly. From my experience, having flown about equal DL, AA and UA over the last 1~2 years, DL has - by far - the worst reliability and on-time track record. Now, mind you, that is just my own personal experience based on my travel patterns.
1) Your personal experience is worthless to anyone else.
2) I don't actually believe you have honestly conveyed your experience. Indeed, I suspect you have completely fabricated the above claim.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) Your personal experience is worthless to anyone else.
2) I don't actually believe you have honestly conveyed your experience. Indeed, I suspect you have completely fabricated the above claim.
Agree with you totally. As I have mentioned numerous times, I have been flying Delta since the late 1970's. Never have even come close to having any problems.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Interesting to note that DL and UA did renew their interline agreement.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Actually AA would be making DL look good. If a passenger who would otherwise be stranded overnight--possibly sleeping at the airport if all hotels are sold out--could have used his/her ticket to travel in DL's otherwise empty seat, the passenger would be appreciating DL. They also may find that DL's flights are pretty good and take them again in the future when they may have always taken AA in the past. DL can play hardball with American and who knows if UA decides to do the same to DL--(Love field drama anyone?). This may finally lead to WN/B6/VX etc working more closely with UA/AA and of course AS is already moving closer to AA. May be great for DL's bottom line but how many passengers end up getting stranded leaving a bad impression of DL in the process?
AA makes DL look as good as DL actually looks on that flight. Leaving the pax stranded makes AA look really bad, and the passenger might decide not to fly AA again for a while.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DWFI
I think a lot of posters seem to believe that these agreements provide for carriers rebooking pax at very cheap rates.

From several friends who work in revenue management at a US carrier, rebooking pax onto OAL during IRROPS is very, very expensive. Not full Y fare (it is discounted from that) but certainly not some kind of bargain basement price.
Part of the problem might be that those tickets are available whenever Y fares are still being sold, leaving to overselling. The other day, DL was selling Y at $960, and paying people $700 to take a VDB. It doesn't take much of a discount from full Y before that's a losing proposition.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TTT
What you say above is not "obvious" based on the data available (personal anecdotes aside).

From July 2014 to July 2015:
Delta: 0.46% flights cancelled
Delta: 85.22% on-time

AA: 1.55% of flights cancelled
AA: 76.57% on-time
The above excludes contract carriers as that data is difficult to ascertain.

Rather than Delta "avoiding" sending passengers to AA during IROPs, the data suggests that AA has a more frequent opportunity to send their passengers to Delta during IROPs.
RealHJ's Biased anecdotal examples are more important than facts... /End Sarcasm
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Part of the problem might be that those tickets are available whenever Y fares are still being sold, leaving to overselling. The other day, DL was selling Y at $960, and paying people $700 to take a VDB. It doesn't take much of a discount from full Y before that's a losing proposition.
Delta still comes out ahead:

Suppose DL sold passenger a seat for $500. Now, DL asks this passenger to VDB for $700. Balance: -$200.
Next, Delta sells the free Y seat for $960. Final balance: $960-$200=$760. Which is more than the original $500.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Delta still comes out ahead:

Suppose DL sold passenger a seat for $500. Now, DL asks this passenger to VDB for $700. Balance: -$200.
Next, Delta sells the free Y seat for $960. Final balance: $960-$200=$760. Which is more than the original $500.
What "free Y seat"? Delta is 8 overbooked. It sells a Y seat for $500. Now it's 9 overbooked, and ends up bumping 5 people at $700 each. Without the sale, it would have bumped only 4 people. Delta lost $200 on the transaction.

There was nobody willing to pay the $960.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
What "free Y seat"? Delta is 8 overbooked. It sells a Y seat for $500. Now it's 9 overbooked, and ends up bumping 5 people at $700 each. Without the sale, it would have bumped only 4 people. Delta lost $200 on the transaction.

There was nobody willing to pay the $960.
Delta would not overbook unless it comes out ahead.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not sure DL has the choice when AA interlines onto DL. If DL sets Y > 0 becasue DL is willing to sell a full Y seat at $1000, DL might not be able to prevent AA from grabbing the seat for only $400. If the VDB compensation is $700 (to make the numbers easy), DL would have gained $300 from selling a full Y fare but it loses $300 if AA interlines someone into that seat.

However, I've heard that for interline, the new carrier must actually have a seat available, so that AA might not be allowed to overbook someone onto a DL flight. I don't know what the actual rules are for these transactions, although we do often hear stories of another airline rebooking someone as an interline transfer (is this the correct term?) but not doing it right and especially not checking that the new airline is willing to sell the seat. These problems might also be part of DL's reluctance to interline for a low price.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It comes out ahead on full Y purchase. Maybe not on discounted Y, so it would prefer not to sell those. But it might not have the choice.

If the discount (whatever it is) for interline tickets is reduced, Delta comes out ahead because it buys fewer of them, due to having more reliability (this year).
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
I think a lot of posters seem to believe that these agreements provide for carriers rebooking pax at very cheap rates.

From several friends who work in revenue management at a US carrier, rebooking pax onto OAL during IRROPS is very, very expensive. Not full Y fare (it is discounted from that) but certainly not some kind of bargain basement price.
Definition of very expensive/very cheap is relative. The settlement amounts are designed to represent the approximate value of a passenger coupon over a wide sample. Perhaps the people you know in Revenue Management have bi-lateral agreements which are "expensive", but the industry agreements are certainly not.

Originally Posted by vgb2001
I got recently rebooked at ORD on my way to SAN on AA. It was a Y fare but I received the receipt and it was HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. As a matter of fact, it was about the same price as my original discounted economy fare on DL (X or T something like that).
Being on Y fare and seeing 2 first class seats available, I called AA to use miles or cash to upgrade and was told that this Y fare was not upgradable.
It's certainly "heavily discounted" from a full Y fare.

If people really care about the whole process and the rates the ACH website has plenty of public info:
http://www.airlinesclearinghouse.com...ettlement.aspx

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Agreed. When I used to manage the ticket counter at an airline, I always tried to take OA pax if we had space/time and they had their bags with them.

However, I think it will be a short term hit. Long term it will give DL more control over their own inventory. You can't really plan for OA IROPs.
That's the kicker. Last-minute inventory is valuable inventory and AA was using a lot more of DL's valuable inventory for IRROPS than DL was using of AA's. There's the argument that for IRROPS the re-booked inventory is about to perish anyway so it's incremental revenue, but given DL's recent actions I'll bet DL views that inventory as highly valuable and therefore being taken advantage of by AA.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:21 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Meanwhile, there is a thread on the UA board that DL and UA have just renewed their interline agreement. I suspect UA tosses more passengers Dl's way than AA/US.

While I understand the dispute over rebooking rates, what I don't understand is the failure to allow interline ticketing and bag checking, which is rather unusual, particularly as one can envision a number of scenarios where someone may wind up on an interline itinerary as a result of lower cost or availability.

I don't know or care who's at fault here, but it seems a lose/lose proposition for both AA and DL customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.