Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by vgb2001
I got recently rebooked at ORD on my way to SAN on AA. It was a Y fare but I received the receipt and it was HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. As a matter of fact, it was about the same price as my original discounted economy fare on DL (X or T something like that).
Being on Y fare and seeing 2 first class seats available, I called AA to use miles or cash to upgrade and was told that this Y fare was not upgradable.
When you are off-lined the price the airline pays they other airline is not displayed. I would imagine that it's all tallied up on a monthly/quarterly type basis.

It doesn't make sense for airlines to keep paying each other for individual tickets. To me it makes sense for the airlines to see who owes who more money at the end of whatever time period and cut 1 check instead of hundreds of little checks back and forth.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:46 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DWFI
I think a lot of posters seem to believe that these agreements provide for carriers rebooking pax at very cheap rates.
My understanding is that there is a contracted price for each sector and while it books in Y it isn't the same Y fare a customer might be asked to pay.

Unfortunate to see this option go away but I think that is the nature of the business at this point and I wouldn't be surprised to see more interline agreements removed, especially with domestic carriers.

Last edited by TTT; Sep 11, 2015 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Looks like UA is the winner as they will get IRROPS from both DL and AA/US.

I wonder if this is a hardball tatic between AA and DL or will they never interline again?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Looks like UA is the winner as they will get IRROPS from both DL and AA/US.

I wonder if this is a hardball tatic between AA and DL or will they never interline again?
My speculation is DL is holding out for more $$$ from AA because they are betting that their operation is far superior and the number of people that the would have off-lined to AA is relatively small.

Where with the AA/US integration looming it could impact a lot of their customers if things go poorly could come back to the table and pay DL what it wants.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
There's a lot of silly comments here, and the same old suspects continue to post the same old nonsense...

1. AA/US send more people to DL then DL does to AA/US.

2. DL recognized this and said- you need to pay more if taking advantage of our investment in operational performance.

3. AA said no, and thus there is no deal.

Sounds fair to me, not sure how this turned into an evil DL story. Should be looking at AA's refusal to pay up if you want to find the bad guy.
You're basing this on what... first hand knowledge? Or speculation like everybody else?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kop84
It doesn't make sense for airlines to keep paying each other for individual tickets. To me it makes sense for the airlines to see who owes who more money at the end of whatever time period and cut 1 check instead of hundreds of little checks back and forth.
They don't, this is what a clearing house takes care of.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:09 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
They don't, this is what a clearing house takes care of.
For those interested, here is the ACH webpage (Airline Clearing House).
http://www.airlinesclearinghouse.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Some information on how this all works.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly, if DL had to pay full Y anyway, it would have been cheaper in many cases to go to www.southwest.com or www.jetblue.com and just buy a ticket for the passenger--but obviously they don't do that. They negotiate a reasonable discount on walk up fares which benefits both carriers. If DL is truly taking in more passengers than that are "giving" to AA, then DL is getting a reasonable amount of revenue for seats that would likely be empty anyway.
The funny thing is that this is basically exactly how it worked at VX in the early days before interline. The station manager at VX would have a checkbook and literally pay to rebook pax onto OAL with checks. Full published fare. I'm told it was rough sometimes.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Yet another aspect in which Southwest is superior to the lagacy airlines.

Interlining is just another vestigal appendage of the old days.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah

I think it's financially beneficial for the airlines to not interline however it's not superior for customers.

Remember when the roof flew off the WN 737 a few years ago and half the WN fleet was grounded? People either had to buy their own walk up ticket on DL/AA/UA etc or wait multiple days until there was an available WN flight.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hazelrah

It's useful sometimes. If you are at an airport with few options on DL and they cancel, getting out on UA/AA might be the only option.

I was due to fly SFO-DTW-CLE earlier this year, but the SFO-DTW flight was delayed for hours due to a mechanical. DL sent me on UA instead of SFO-MSP-CLE or SFO-ATL-CLE, which were both feasible.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Interestingly enough, American went out of its way to list Alaska Airlines as one airline it will continue to interline with, in addition to listing United.

American and Delta End Interline Agreement
...American’s interline agreements with United, the world’s second largest airline, will continue, as will its agreements with other airlines including Alaska Airlines as well as its joint business and one world partners, the airline said....
The above appeared in FBT, where I serve as Ed.Dir.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kop84
I think it's financially beneficial for the airlines to not interline however it's not superior for customers.

Remember when the roof flew off the WN 737 a few years ago and half the WN fleet was grounded? People either had to buy their own walk up ticket on DL/AA/UA etc or wait multiple days until there was an available WN flight.
Sure it makes sense in the short term financially to just tell your passengers, sorry we have no seats for XX days. Those that don't care how much a new ticket on another carrier costs and have to get there will buy a full fare ticket. Those that can't delay their vacation by several days or can't afford a walk up fare plus all the baggage and other fees will simply stay home.

It is one less differentiating factor between DL and its competitors though. JFK to SFO/LAX is a perfect example. DL had multiple UA/AA flights to protect people on in the event of something going wrong. Now UA is leaving the market and AA/B6/VX are no longer back up options for DL passengers.

Is this good for DL---maybe--but it is certainly not going to good for customers with discounted tickets.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
Totally agree on the above.

Doesn't SW already have a no interline policy? If so, how come people are so upset at DL? Shouldn't they also be just as upset at SW? Just trying to figure this all out.
WN = Southwest is a discount carrier; DL is not.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
My one experience with IROPS rebooking onto US was a total nightmare last year. US dropped my reservation because it involved a paper ticket and their reservation system wasn't fully linked up correctly, and I got stranded in Pittsburgh with them refusing to help.

The absolutely fabulous DL staff at PIT escalated to DL corporate and made it right - heavily overselling their own flights via Atlanta to get me to my destination. But the US staff had no interest in all at helping even understand what went wrong until a DL agent walked over to work with them on my behalf.

My point in this anecdote - Clearly some of this decision was simple contractual terms (e.g. they couldn't come to an agreement on costs), but I also wonder if some of it was a reaction to a poor customer experience when the interline agreement was used.

We've come a long way since 2012, when DL and AA actually codeshared on a few regional flights out of LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.