Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow. Who poked whose eye first?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I know my opinion carries zero weight but I really don't feel bad for DL having to pay a higher price to get me where I paid Delta to take me. I see it as a penalty. Delta screws up their operations and therefore has to accommodate me on another airline. If Delta wants to avoid paying a high price on another airline then they need to work harder and make sure their operations go off without a problem.
Or DL resists rebooking its passengers onto other carriers because of the added expense.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or DL resists rebooking its passengers onto other carriers because of the added expense.
That too, Delta will find any excuse to leave you high and dry. Before Amderson came along DL agents were allowed a lot of room to get passengers where they needed to be. On the Delta Shuttle if one of the flights were overbooked they would roll out an additional 727 to take the additional passengers. Eventually CRJ's were used for the extra sections but still, that's impressive. They really lived up to their marketing campaign of "Delta Gets You There". Now it's more like "we'll get you there when we're dam good and ready".
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS next?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That too, Delta will find any excuse to leave you high and dry. Before Amderson came along DL agents were allowed a lot of room to get passengers where they needed to be. On the Delta Shuttle if one of the flights were overbooked they would roll out an additional 727 to take the additional passengers. Eventually CRJ's were used for the extra sections but still, that's impressive. They really lived up to their marketing campaign of "Delta Gets You There". Now it's more like "we'll get you there when we're dam good and ready".
I know you like to blame Richard Anderson for just about everything, but Anderson was not even at Delta yet when the Delta Shuttle guarantee was dropped. Here's a NY Times article from February 2005 talking about Delta dropping the extra section concept from the Delta Shuttle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/02/ny...past.html?_r=0

Richard Anderson joined Delta in 2007
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sad since I was just rebooked from DL LAX-AUS onto AA LAX-AUS today due to IRROPS.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:11 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by DWFI
I think a lot of posters seem to believe that these agreements provide for carriers rebooking pax at very cheap rates.

From several friends who work in revenue management at a US carrier, rebooking pax onto OAL during IRROPS is very, very expensive. Not full Y fare (it is discounted from that) but certainly not some kind of bargain basement price.
Just a fun fact, but when I got suck in IROPs a few years ago on US as a paid F passenger, I looked over the options with an agent to get me from PHX-SJU in First/Business and the one way price that US would have to fork out if they book me on another airline was $1990.

Not cheap at all. We agreed to a workable option on US which included a sector in Y.

This whole development is certainly disappointing from both sides and this does not benefit anybody, particularly the customers
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by HDQDD
... Anecdotal: In my last 500 or so DL flights, I've only been rebooked on pmUS once, because they had a non-stop PIT-RDU. Generally I'd prefer to stay on DL, but of course there are some times where OA makes better sense....
I have booked that flight (~6pm) 6 times over the last year on US/AA and it has been cancelled twice, it has been significantly late 3 times arriving well past midnight. And only once, the last time I flew it, it arrived late, but only about an hour. Granted, much of it was weather, with some mechanical, but I expect that the NEW AA will operate more like the old US.

DL could make a good decision flying PIT-RDU direct.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I think a lot of posters seem to believe that these agreements provide for carriers rebooking pax at very cheap rates.

From several friends who work in revenue management at a US carrier, rebooking pax onto OAL during IRROPS is very, very expensive. Not full Y fare (it is discounted from that) but certainly not some kind of bargain basement price.
Exactly, if DL had to pay full Y anyway, it would have been cheaper in many cases to go to www.southwest.com or www.jetblue.com and just buy a ticket for the passenger--but obviously they don't do that. They negotiate a reasonable discount on walk up fares which benefits both carriers. If DL is truly taking in more passengers than that are "giving" to AA, then DL is getting a reasonable amount of revenue for seats that would likely be empty anyway. Guess saving/making money is now more important than helping out the passengers. Will be interesting to see what happens in the winter. When something like DL skidding off the runway at LGA happens, DL won't have many options to protect passengers if it keeps acting the way it has in negotiating with other carriers.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:26 am

DL might be getting some revenue from AA taking more passengers but it also leaves DL less room to protect their OWN passengers.

DFW-ATL on AA gets a mechanical and a bunch of passengers are transfered to the DL DFW-ATL flight. But just a few minutes later the DFW-DTW DL flight gets delayed but now there isn't room to re-accommodate Delta's existing passengers on the DL flight through ATL.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:33 am

There's a lot of silly comments here, and the same old suspects continue to post the same old nonsense...

1. AA/US send more people to DL then DL does to AA/US.

2. DL recognized this and said- you need to pay more if taking advantage of our investment in operational performance.

3. AA said no, and thus there is no deal.

Sounds fair to me, not sure how this turned into an evil DL story. Should be looking at AA's refusal to pay up if you want to find the bad guy.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:48 am

I would also see this as a growing trend in the airline industry.

When ticketing agreements were established no carrier truly had a global reach so taking multiple carriers was necessary for a lot of O/D's

Then came partnerships where you could take multiple airlines who work together.

Then came consolidation in the alliance world where between *A, OW, and ST you can go nearly anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world.

Then came consolidation in the US market where DL, WN, AA, UA can take you from most anywhere in the country to most anywhere else in the country.

Then throw in the rise of the ME3 and AA, UA, DL don't want people booking cheap domestic tickets to one of their gateways to take the money making TATL flight on an ME3 carrier. It can still happen w/o ticketing/baggage agreements but it makes it a much bigger hassle.

I see in the next 5-10 years ticketing agreements existing only within the alliances. It is not very customer friendly but I think it's going to be a reality.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I was a loyal (not so frequent) AA flyer for years through high school and college and my first job. It was AA IRROPS that booked me on my first DL flight. Sorry to see this go, but I get it.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
There's a lot of silly comments here, and the same old suspects continue to post the same old nonsense...

1. AA/US send more people to DL then DL does to AA/US.

2. DL recognized this and said- you need to pay more if taking advantage of our investment in operational performance.

3. AA said no, and thus there is no deal.

Sounds fair to me, not sure how this turned into an evil DL story. Should be looking at AA's refusal to pay up if you want to find the bad guy.
Totally agree on the above.

Doesn't SW already have a no interline policy? If so, how come people are so upset at DL? Shouldn't they also be just as upset at SW? Just trying to figure this all out.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold

I got recently rebooked at ORD on my way to SAN on AA. It was a Y fare but I received the receipt and it was HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. As a matter of fact, it was about the same price as my original discounted economy fare on DL (X or T something like that).
Being on Y fare and seeing 2 first class seats available, I called AA to use miles or cash to upgrade and was told that this Y fare was not upgradable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.