Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-SLC, EL @ DIA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...30ZZ/KBOS/KDEN

Last edited by burbanite; Aug 7, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Were you on that flight?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
WOW? That is crazy. Where did OP get these photos?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't on the flight. I belong to another forum where they were posted by a friend of a passenger who was. The discussion on that forum involved talk of radar effectiveness, dry hail, pilot choice in that kind of situation etc.

I'm thinking the passengers and crew were very lucky.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP, correction to your thread title: Flight was enroute from BOS to SLC and diverted to DEN due to the hail damage.

Pretty crazy and nasty stuff though. I wonder how/why the aircrew wasn't able to avoid this weather pattern (I'm not assigning blame to the pilots or ATC or anyone else - just wondering what led to this).
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'd love to see the looks on the faces of the ground crew. Holy sh*t indeed.

Not a good day for Delta jets, that's for sure. Whether it be hail damage or catching on fire.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OP, correction to your thread title: Flight was enroute from BOS to SLC and diverted to DEN due to the hail damage.

Pretty crazy and nasty stuff though. I wonder how/why the aircrew wasn't able to avoid this weather pattern (I'm not assigning blame to the pilots or ATC or anyone else - just wondering what led to this).
Thank you, yes I just saw that it was an emergency landing at DIA, I'll correct the title. It landed at 08:42PM MDT so this is just fresh of the vine, I don't imagine there will be any determination for some time.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Flight 1889 on Fri, 07 Aug 2015
Change planes
We apologize for the service disruption. Please check your reservation to see your new flight information.
One-Time Flight Notification New Search Flight Schedules
Status Departure Arrival
City Scheduled actual City Scheduled actual
Diverted Boston, MA (BOS)
Terminal A
Gate A4 5:30PM
07 Aug Diverted Salt Lake City, UT (SLC)
Terminal Unit 2
Gate D6 9:00PM
07 Aug Diverted

That pilot is very lucky to land that plane in that condition.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:03 am
Original Poster

The discussion on the forum the pics came from is centered around how and why as you would expect. One of the contributors, a pilot, had this to say about hail in general :

Hail has been known to get ejected from the tops of thunderstorms and blown downwind of them clear of the body of the storm. If it has time and conditions are right it will refreeze making it dry. You can be flying along in clear air 10 miles downwind of a 60,000'+ thunderbumper and hit hail unpainted on airborne weather radar. Then you do the chief pilot carpet dance explaining why you didn't go around it by 20 miles.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
I've looked at the animation of the local radar at the time this happened. What was initially a 40 mile gap, became a solid line of thunderstorms.
Here are a couple of still images, with the second being taken at the time the aircraft passed through the weather. Look toward the center-right, this is near McCook, NE:

Basically, two systems converged into one. It was dark outside, and they were probably relying solely on weather radar to navigate around the thunderstorm.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:32 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
In case anyone missed it, here's a similar story from July 4 of a DL B744 that ran into hail enroute from DTW/ICN. Some AMAZING pics of the damage!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...il-damage.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Here's the ATC tape from the area, it's a jumble of frequencies, but you can hear Delta 1889 starting at 1:10 reporting severe turbulence, and again at 7:50:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kd...2015-0200Z.mp3

...and here's the ATC map of the area. You can see the DAL1889 was one of only a few airplanes in the area:

http://www.flightradar24.com/2015-08...0.35,-101.26/7

Last edited by bigsaabowski; Aug 8, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by bigsaabowski

...and here's the ATC map of the area. You can see the DAL1889 was one of only a few airplanes in the area:

http://www.flightradar24.com/2015-08...0.35,-101.26/7
The data being received is clearly sporadic and unreliable at best, after all the plane suddenly ends up 100 miles West of where the map thought it was...but (and again, no idea if it's true or even close) the sudden loss of altitude towards the beginning would be very concerning if it was real...

I flew into DEN yesterday and we were coming from the east but went all the way around North over Wyoming and came in over the mountains before landing...no idea why they didn't do the same thing if they were on their way to SLC
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:36 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
do you have a link to the other forum?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Not sure if this was the same storm, but SLC had a pretty nasty-but-small thunderstorm yesterday that shut the airport down for a half hour. Timed perfectly with my ATL-SLC flight and, given that we were too low on fuel to circle for very long, had to divert to GJT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.