Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
Here's the ATC tape from the area, it's a jumble of frequencies, but you can hear Delta 1889 starting at 1:10 reporting severe turbulence, and again at 7:50:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kd...2015-0200Z.mp3
Around the 7:15 mark, the DL 1889 pilot says "Negative RADAR." What does that mean? Their weather RADAR stopped working?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Around the 7:15 mark, the DL 1889 pilot says "Negative RADAR." What does that mean? Their weather RADAR stopped working?
Yes, the radar is located in the nose cone, which as you can see was destroyed.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
OP please correct the thread title

Aircraft is N332NW, a 23.4 year old A320.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by N639DL
OP please correct the thread title
You can edit the title of any posts you make, but only mods can correct the actual title we see in the list of threads (which is why the first post correctly says BOS-SLC but the thread is titled BOS-DIA).
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:01 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Crew and passengers aboard this flight (and the other Delta flight that encountered hail over China) were indeed fortunate. Sometimes hail can be a killer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe...ays_Flight_242
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
When i buy a ticket for a flight I want implied in my contract that the airplane will avoid flying through hail storms. This is ridiculous. They are very lucky they are alive. Of ocurse the pilot should be fired, but what about the ATC?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
When i buy a ticket for a flight I want implied in my contract that the airplane will avoid flying through hail storms. This is ridiculous. They are very lucky they are alive. Of ocurse the pilot should be fired, but what about the ATC?
Do you have aircraft incident investigation training and experience to know that this was for sure pilot error or are you just jumping to your own conclusion? I do have aircraft incident investigation training and experience, and I say we wait till the facts come out, as there are several possible factors in play that could have led to this, not all of which would be attributable to the pilots.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You live in Iowa, I'm sure that you've experienced sudden and extremely severe thunderstorms that seemingly happen out of no where. Post 10 gives a good explanation of what happened.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Do you have aircraft incident investigation training and experience to know that this was for sure pilot error or are you just jumping to your own conclusion? I do have aircraft incident investigation training and experience, and I say we wait till the facts come out, as there are several possible factors in play that could have led to this, not all of which would be attributable to the pilots.
I agree that we should wait until the investigation is over before placing game. But as an accident investigator you would know that pilot error is almost always the culprit. I see no reason to stick our heads in the sand after every accident and try and think of every reason except pilot error as some do. Hundreds had to die before we finally figured out that maybe the captain doesn't always know best and that input from all crew members should matter. But in this incident they got the plane on the ground safely and that's what matters.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:43 pm

Aviation isn't risk-free, bad weather can and will occur and isn't always avoidable. Whether the flight crew should be disciplined is fortunately down to the judgment of qualified individuals.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
That damage looks pretty bad. Will this plane be written off?

Also, I have no idea where DIA is.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Also, I have no idea where DIA is.
DIA? Denver International Airport?

I think it's in South Carolina.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Wow - I thought we went off half-cocked in the UA forum...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
DIA? Denver International Airport?

I think it's in South Carolina.
Denver, CO is DEN. DIA isn't a code for anywhere.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Denver, CO is DEN. DIA isn't a code for anywhere.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but technically DIA was the code for about a day when the new Denver airport opened. There was a little overlap when Stapleton and the new Denver airport were open and there had to be two airport codes. Obviously it reverted back to DEN after Stapleton closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.