Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
I noticed CBS Evening News, for example, reported that passengers had better weather radar on the storms than the pilots who are not allowed to have Internet in the cockpit. If that is so, why did a FA not show the best weather radar to one of the pilots?
I didn't see any of the radar until after we were through the storm - one of the pax across the aisle from me showed me what we had just gone through. I don't think anyone thought to grab an FA to tell the pilot.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by sorro
I didn't see any of the radar until after we were through the storm - one of the pax across the aisle from me showed me what we had just gone through. I don't think anyone thought to grab an FA to tell the pilot.
Well, one would hope the radar on the front of the airplane is more up to date and relevant than whatever is coming over the internet. In addition, DL (and most other airlines) have staff and contract meteorologists that proactively monitor flights and are available for pilot consultation. These meteorologists have access to far superior radar and other data than the average free website. They also process data based on the altitude they are interested in rather than the surface radar data that most websites provide.

Finally, I think it would be far more dangerous for the FAs and pilots to be distracted looking at some passenger's iPad than any weather data that iPad was purportedly providing.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by sorro
I was on the flight and was quoted in the Denver Post article. I have to say that the pilot and crew were top notch on our flight. We could have been in a panic considering the condition the aircraft was in, but the FAs and pilots were calm and made it sound like just another day of flying, even though it clearly wasn't. That confidence helped all the passengers and even some that I saw who were really freaking out were able to calm down as a result of it. Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll be in and out of the thread every so often and do my best to answer everything.
Various reports have stated this flight encountered severe turbulence during descent and landing. I believe that description may have come from a passenger aboard DL1889. My understanding that severe turbulence is actually quite rare, and when it does occur, may result in several injuries. Would you describe DL1889 as an extremely turbulent ride, or just another flight thru nasty weather? Have you had worse?

Last edited by Crossin Jordan; Aug 10, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL FO
I believe DIA is probably so the most common man knows they are talking about Denver International. MCI, Mid-Continent International, is in Kansas City and most of the common men here call it KCI for Kansas City International. I still refer to it as MCI, even though most of the people I talk to have no clue where I am talking about or that MCI is even the airport here.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier and Lifetime Platinum
So this morning was flying on DL 1816 leaving ATL for DEN at 8:10 AM .. was scheduled to be a 737 .. wake up and see on the app that we are leaving from F1 without realizing that they also did an equip change to a 767-300ER with lie flat seats. I had a cheap fare and never would have had a chance on the 737 for an upgrade so was thrilled for upgraded window seat.

Pilot announces that we will be delayed for a while since the ground crew has some very large plane equipment to load. I look out my window after a while and see very large and heavy boxes with Airbus 319/320 labeling being raised via some lift and placed in cargo hold near front of plane. At that point, I put 2 and 2 together and virtually sure my plane this morning flew in the windshields and other replacement parts needed to repair the hail damaged plane.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Well, one would hope the radar on the front of the airplane is more up to date and relevant than whatever is coming over the internet. In addition, DL (and most other airlines) have staff and contract meteorologists that proactively monitor flights and are available for pilot consultation. These meteorologists have access to far superior radar and other data than the average free website. They also process data based on the altitude they are interested in rather than the surface radar data that most websites provide.

Finally, I think it would be far more dangerous for the FAs and pilots to be distracted looking at some passenger's iPad than any weather data that iPad was purportedly providing.
I would hope their info is better too, but from what I saw on the TV shows, their stuff isn't always as good as the latest commercial technology. I'm sure that they knew we were going to go between a few storms, but I don't think they knew the severity of them.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
Various reports have stated this flight encountered severe turbulence during descent and landing. I believe that description may have come from a passenger aboard DL1889. My understanding that severe turbulence is actually quite rare, and when it does occur, may result in several injuries. Would you describe DL1889 as an extremely turbulent ride, or just another flight thru nasty weather? Have you had worse?
It was definitely the worst turbulence I've ever been in - the closest experience I had to this flight was when I took a Seacat across the English Channel during a big storm. It wasn't fun at all either time. The FA who got up during the storm to help some pax was very fortunate that she didn't get killed from hitting the ceiling.
The landing was as smooth as could be IMO, but when we were in the storm, it felt like we were on a roller coaster.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I agree that we should wait until the investigation is over before placing game. But as an accident investigator you would know that pilot error is almost always the culprit. I see no reason to stick our heads in the sand after every accident and try and think of every reason except pilot error as some do. Hundreds had to die before we finally figured out that maybe the captain doesn't always know best and that input from all crew members should matter. But in this incident they got the plane on the ground safely and that's what matters.
It's not about burying your head in the sand. It's about uncovering the facts and letting those facts lead you to the conclusion, rather than choosing facts to lead to the conclusion you want. Burying your head in the sand and ignoring pilot error as an option isn't any worse than wrongly blaming the pilots, when say the real blame lies with a malfunctioning or inadequate weather radar, because that may seem like the easiest solution and would also lead to more deaths down the road as well if the true root cause isn't determined and addressed.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
For anyone blaming the pilots:

https://twitter.com/AeroSavvy/status...952960/photo/1

The hole closed up rather fast.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by sbbutler93

I am an instrument rated general aviation pilot. Generally, it is not wise to attempt to "thread the needle" between 2 thunderstorms. The distance shown between the storms on the radar loops was not very big! A slightly different version of a "sucker hole"?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

GA flying and airline stuff are two different animals. Completely.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
So you think it's a good idea for an airliner to skate between thunderstorms?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
I noticed CBS Evening News, for example, reported that passengers had better weather radar on the storms than the pilots who are not allowed to have Internet in the cockpit. If that is so, why did a FA not show the best weather radar to one of the pilots?
I don't know what is meant by "better" RADAR, but the aircraft's RADAR displays thunderstorm cells perfectly well. (And how would a cell phone weather display be of any use when the aircraft position isn't known relative to it?)

In the United States, every commercial flight is monitored by a dispatcher who shares operational control of the flight with the captain, 50/50. The dispatcher had (or should have had at Delta) various weather monitoring applications at his fingertips.

The captain and the dispatcher should have known exactly where the cells were and the dispatcher, especially, should have known this storm was dynamic.

Last edited by telloh; Aug 10, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
They aren't different animals when it comes to thunderstorms. In fact, the rule is exactly the same: don't fly close to them.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbbutler93

That is also damning evidence. Why try to thread the needle in such a powerful, dynamic storm system where holes could close up quickly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.