Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is with me on moving to AA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I fly my minimum segs to keep basic status and secure a back-up airline. Made Platinum due to the combining of US and AA this year. As a Platinum, I have not yet gotten one upgrade, in fact have never been able to use the 20 that I have. I have 8 more segs with them to get me to 30 and they can't come soon enough.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am thinking about it but for different reasons. I fly DAY-MAN monthly (approx). ATL-MAN was switched to VS metal. JFK-MAN was added but it is a nightmare to get to JFK from DAY -I still have to go via ATL or DTW or even MSP. So for me it is about schedule. I actually want to be loyal to Delta.

Seriously - not even to Plat (I do not expect Exec Plat)?

Wow - if true that does make a difference.
They are doing challenges not matches. The Plat challenge cost $200 and requires 10K EQP (points) in 3 months. It is a cake walk. They also give you gold for the challenge period. The EXP challenge I got was like $300 and 20K EQP...also easy-peasy. Just google "AA elite challenge" and call the number.

Waiting to see "what shakes out" is giving up on a full year of old-school FF benefits away. If one believes they are all going the way of DL then one should squeeze as much value as possible now. I just got back from HKG and I have 37K points in the bank for that trip. I basically got a domestic FC ticket for anytime I want it for free. Like I said earlier: I use my points for domestic FC and I am 100% at finding low anytime I want it....that is a fact. INT is a little tougher but relative to DL it is a walk in the park.

My hope is that AA recognizes by not changing they could be locking up a valuable asset for when things turn bad.....the LOYALTY of a large group of customers who DO fly all the time, good times and bad. Let DL and UA scramble to throw carrots out there when it happens.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
They are doing challenges not matches. The Plat challenge cost $200 and requires 10K EQP (points) in 3 months. It is a cake walk. They also give you gold for the challenge period. The EXP challenge I got was like $300 and 20K EQP...also easy-peasy. Just google "AA elite challenge" and call the number.
Jesus - that is easy-peasy.
September DAY-PHL-MAN-PHL-DAY + some busines travel
October DAY-ORD-MAN-ORD-DAY + some business + some leisure
November DAY-SNN and return + some business + some leisure

I make that approx 40K EQP ^^^
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jesus - that is easy-peasy.
September DAY-PHL-MAN-PHL-DAY + some busines travel
October DAY-ORD-MAN-ORD-DAY + some business + some leisure
November DAY-SNN and return + some business + some leisure

I make that approx 40K EQP ^^^

Not logged in so anyone can go look at FC availability at Low. And unlike DL when it says low it means low...

Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avidflyer
[IMG]C:\Users\Fritchotte\Desktop\YME - JB - V1.jpg[/IMG]
I am sure that photo is appropriate but I can not see it - sorry.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure that photo is appropriate but I can not see it - sorry.
Fixed it...
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
I switched my travel at the start of the year. But not to just AA. I've gone independent and now just book on price/convenience. So far that's yielded me a total of 1 DL round trip this year. I've flown a little on AA, UA, B6, and even WN. Since I'm a lowly PM it's not like I've missed a lot of upgrades anyway and actually found that I don't really mind the other carriers (love B6, AA has been good, WN is surprisingly ok once I got past the awful boarding process, UA seems hit or miss).

I've still got the DL Amex but will cancel that after a family trip this December where the free checked bag will save me more than the annual fee. Now I've just got to find a way to burn over 500k pesos without having the time to take a decent vacation. I'm officially a free agent and don't see that changing unless my travel pattern or frequency changes in the next few years.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The big question is whether AA, once the merger is completely done and the two programs/carriers totally integrated, will align with DL/UA or try to remain with its traditional program (that right now looks far superior).

I deserted DL back in the reign of Leo Mullin and went to AA, making EXP. AA Management then treated EXP customers very well. Frontline people were indifferent except in the Admirals Club. Flight attendants were hit or miss, mostly miss.

The bottom line is that it was a royal pain to fly AA out of ATL. That extra stop to a number of places might seem trivial at first blush, but when you do it over and over and over again it gets a bit old. So, eventually I migrated back to DL. Mullin left and things got better.

The one thing that is different now, compared to then, is that AA is flying ATL-LAX nonstop, which might be the game changer if you do a lot of west coast travel. Adding ATL-CLT makes a difference as well for east coast stuff from ATL on AA.

I am still not prepared to make any changes again because the Delta service lately has been really good. The airline is operationally worlds ahead of where it was ten years ago and I really, really enjoy flying DL. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium and suffer some benefit cuts because the carrier is so much better than it had been. But this thing on the horizon of 120,000 or 160,000 miles to upgrade a ticket to Europe, if it sticks, will be very hard to swallow.

I will say that all of the negative program changes lately are making me think hard about this.

Last edited by Robert Leach; Jul 20, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If anybody at either AA or DL reads this stuff, they must get a chuckle at the level of naivte. Just proves the marketers correct.

"Negotiate a better deal" indeed. Not.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
If anybody at either AA or DL reads this stuff, they must get a chuckle at the level of naivete. Just proves the marketers correct.

"Negotiate a better deal" indeed. Not.
I get a chuckle myself - quite amusing. FT is just a gift that keeps on giving.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I am still not prepared to make any changes YET because the Delta service lately has been really good. The airline is operationally worlds ahead of where it was ten years ago and I really, really enjoy flying DL. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium and suffer some benefit cuts because the carrier is so much better than it had been.
+1
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by jacobac00
I was forced to move to AA or UA last year when I switched jobs. DL from MSP is way too expensive to be within policy on a regular basis. I have been very happy with UA. They don't handle irrops as well as DL, and there seem to be a few more of them, but the phone support is superior with every call I make. It isn't dependent on lucky on call centers. I get as many upgrades as gold on UA that I did as Platinum on DL. One of the best benefits I've come to realize is the partner network. Having Star Gold while travelling international means access to great lounges. That is important to me. UA is slowly getting their act together, by copying DL on a lot of things. Hopefully they don't copy the horrible "partner network" that is SkyTeam.

All that said, I say go to AA. I've heard some rumblings from AA elites, but you get that from any airline. Don't worry about being "hub captive". I say that is a term that only applies if you are too lazy for an extra flight and thus fewer elite miles.
I live in MSP and have been travelling for work for 1 year now. 20 segments on AA/US Airways. 1 on Spirit, and maybe 12 or so on Southwest. The Delta pricing is outrageous. I will qualify on segments with AA this year to Gold.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The big question is whether AA, once the merger is completely done and the two programs/carriers totally integrated, will align with DL/UA or try to remain with its traditional program (that right now looks far superior)
Change is coming. The UA/DL regime for earning and burning makes too much sense for high value customers, especially since it makes it particularly mileage-punitive for those customers to make temporary defections.

Regardless, I'd wait until the PSS's get merged this fall even if you want to take on the program-change risk.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Alright, can we just start a consolidated "F--- Delta, I'm moving to XX" thread where all of the whiners can whine?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:25 am

We are gone.

Originally Posted by Esltroy
I am ready to move with my wallet and not just with my posts.Who is up for moving their loyalty to AA from delta. This is my thought. I am a diamond with delta. I am willing to status challenge to AA to platinum level.

I think if we can get enough diamonds to transfer to AA we may be able to negotiate a better deal. Discuss....
Not to worry, we are so gone from DL. The latest SkyMiles announcement did it for moi.

"Whatever it look like....it definitely ain't that." Former Florida Senator George Smathers
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Alright, can we just start a consolidated "F--- Delta, I'm moving to XX" thread where all of the whiners can whine?
+ 1MM ^^^

No wait, this is that thread

Last edited by DYKWIA2014; Jul 20, 2015 at 9:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.