Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is with me on moving to AA.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette
It isn't exactly true to say that WN's network is on par with the legacies. There are tons of domestic destinations, especially smaller ones, that they don't serve. WN serves a lot of people well, but their network doesn't approach the scope of the legacies.
Considering that WN does not serve seven states, it's a stretch to say that they are on par with the legacies that serve 48 or 49 states.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Considering that WN does not serve seven states, it's a stretch to say that they are on par with the legacies that serve 48 or 49 states.
How do the legacies serve all these states? With their crews and aircraft or subcontracted out to regional airlines and their less qualified and more overworked crews with aircraft that might not be as well maintained?

If one compares the number of destinations served by the legacies with their actual crews and aircraft (excluding destinations solely served by affiliated regional airlines) and the number of destinations served by WN (who does not use any regional airlines to expand their network), then it's more comparable in scope.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peter T.
How do the legacies serve all these states? With their crews and aircraft or subcontracted out to regional airlines and their less qualified and more overworked crews with aircraft that might not be as well maintained?

If one compares the number of destinations served by the legacies with their actual crews and aircraft (excluding destinations solely served by affiliated regional airlines) and the number of destinations served by WN (who does not use any regional airlines to expand their network), then it's more comparable in scope.
Even remote places like Montana see mainline DL service now. Plus regionals allow service into cities that can't handle mainline planes. It works. I wonder if AA will follow DL and start adding more small mainline planes?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Peter T.

I'm not sure it would be possible to go further in twisting facts to support a hypothesis. I mean, short of saying "how many destinations do the legacies serve with mainline aircraft owned and operated by WN."

Fact: the legacies can get you many, many places WN can't. It simply isn't a controversial statement. Now, one could argue that many of those small destinations are not worth visiting (heck, I think I've said just that on occasion), but it is not disputable that WN does not serve anywhere close to the number of destinations the legacies do.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I would rather settle for economy plus on Delta then take a AA 2-2-2 767 any day of the week.
How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you say stuff like that?

And this is all very deja vu re: "arguments" 3-5 years ago, when DL had loads and loads of 2-2-2 767s with awful recliner seats while AA had moved to flat at a slight angle, with good opportunities to upgrade to F.

And now some folks are saying they can't think out more than a few months and don't want to give credit to what an airline is "thinking" of doing (never mind that they're already doing it)? Really a lot of disingenuity here.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'll also add that while AA is more of a mixed bag internationally when it comes to hard product, domestically F and very often MCE are much more spacious than their DL counterparts.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Does AA offer better snacks in domestic Y than DL?
Can someone compare/contrast the flushing mechanism in the FC lav between the DL/AA MD-88? I enjoy the suction provided on the DL MD-88, but it is sometimes a little too intense. If anyone can confirm that the flush on an AA bird is a less powerful, I will be taking my business (and status) to AA. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Can someone compare/contrast the flushing mechanism in the FC lav between the DL/AA MD-88? I enjoy the suction provided on the DL MD-88, but it is sometimes a little too intense. If anyone can confirm that the flush on an AA bird is a less powerful, I will be taking my business (and status) to AA. Thanks in advance
Don't let the toilet seat hit you in the a$$ on the way out the door to AA.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I have heard that AA only has one-ply toilet paper. Can someone confirm this before I switch over? Or will it be.. if you want double-ply bring double ply. WDBD
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And this is all very deja vu re: "arguments" 3-5 years ago, when DL had loads and loads of 2-2-2 767s with awful recliner seats
The competitive landscape was quite different 3-5 years ago. What was competitive then is not competitive today.

while AA had moved to flat at a slight angle
The AA seats are at more than a "slight" angle.

with good opportunities to upgrade to F.
AA F isn't really F. And I for one don't see much value in even real F - I drink champagne at home and regularly eat better than anything offered on any airline in any class. I want a flat bed for J prices (or Y with an upgrade), not a flat bed for J prices + some co-payment in miles or instruments.

And now some folks are saying they can't think out more than a few months and don't want to give credit to what an airline is "thinking" of doing (never mind that they're already doing it)?
It is more than a few months. Completion is still 18 months away. In the interim, I will base my purchasing decisions on what they currently offer. In 18 months, I can choose to fly them or not, again based on what they offer. You, of course, are free to fly them today with the hopes that it will somehow mean some consideration when they once again offer a competitive product.

Really a lot of disingenuity here.
I would agree. Your post is incredibly disingenuous.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I don't know about anyone else's experiences w/ the the "new" AA but my experience has been exactly the opposite - the pmUS employees, particularly the FAs, have been terrific and provided service that been very satisfactory. It's been the pmAA employees that seem to be having issues. Their FAs in particular have taken service on AA airplanes waaaayyyyy down. YMMV...
Do AA employees advertise their pre-merger employer, or how do people determine who they used to work for? genuinely curious
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
And I thought DL was cheap only offering peanuts, pretzels, or cookies. So, what makes AA better? It's not their on time performance or their hard product or their service or their food. What is it?
I should have clarified, I don't buy food from airlines. I am looking to compare snacks that come with the ticket price. DL is only peanuts, pretzels, and cookies; which is really cheap. UA is even worse with nothing included (one reason why I avoid them).
Here's what AA says about snacks:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...main-cabin.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...mium-cabin.jsp
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
Do AA employees advertise their pre-merger employer, or how do people determine who they used to work for? genuinely curious
I do not believe that the flight crews are integrated yet and the pUS planes have not been repainted, so pAA and pUS would still each be flying their own perspective metal.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:59 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
So a few weeks ago I got fed up with the high cost of flying Delta, and started to look for flights based on price and not loyalty (it should never be one way). I had an ATL-BOS coming up and bought a combo of AA and US(AA). Yes, I had to make a connection (via LGA), but when i flew up this morning, as an AA 1MM, I ended up getting, without asking or expecting, upgrades on both flights. Be interested to see if the two US flights to get home tomorrow will also be upgraded. FYI, the two upgrades this morning are double my total DL upgrades this year (only 1). And this is the first time I've flown AA in five years! In two weeks I'll be back on DL, but then the following week trying AS. I'm sorta liking this freedom.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by kop84
I do not believe that the flight crews are integrated yet and the pUS planes have not been repainted, so pAA and pUS would still each be flying their own perspective metal.
I did notice on my LGA-BOS US flight this morning that the pilot said, "Thanks for flying American Airlines".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.