Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgh234
Wow dude.
That's right. Feel free to tell me why you think I'm wrong. If you can.

Originally Posted by pvn
"I'll switch with you, but only if you provide a death certificate and your brat kid's birth certificate"
Of course, that's not in any way related to anything I said, but I suppose that's what you post when you have nothing substantive to post.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by PTravel
That's right. Feel free to tell me why you think I'm wrong. If you can.
Challenge accepted, Bro (Thats how they say it in CA, right?)

So spd476 comes here to ask an honest question about traveling with his kid. You preach about how you are the one able to determine if it is an "emergency" or not (not sure why you are hung up on that term).

The real story here is about being human. I know you are too busy/important to hold open a door for someone or hold the elevator, but the rest of us value those little things that make society a pleasant place. It makes me happy when folks I don't know take a split second to make my day easier and I take pleasure in doing it back to them.

So lets fast-forward to airplane time...an even more public space (because you clearly cannot afford a private jet). Everyone is stuffed into a metal tube and it should be a time for general humanity and pleasant social interaction to be practiced at it's highest level by all.

Since you clearly plan ahead and have never been IROP'ed before or had flight plans change last minute...these rest of us are not that lucky. So a dad/son, husband/wife, business partners, etc are split up. They would clearly rather be rubbing shoulders and having small talk with their acquaintance rather than you.

So a guy like spd476 gets on the flight, probably just a guy being a good dad who needs to take his kid somewhere (you had a dad too that I hope acted the same way)...and you will treat him like such an incompetent idiot for something YOU deem is not an emergency? Who the hell are you?

Now we all agree that, as the owner of your seat, you have the right to keep your seat (especially if you are offered an inferior one)...but please do not be so belittling to innocent spd476. If he asks you to move from 19C to 18C to sit with his son (and you are traveling alone, and the guy in 18B is not 300 lbs)...there is literally not one negative iota of feeling that I can offer to this guy! I will happily say "Sure! Please take my seat"...and I imagine that most decent folk that we bump into in this game of life would be more than happy to do the same. If anything, I got a better seat and I am happier that I made someone else's day a little brighter.

Now when someone squats in my seat and rudely demands I switch to what I judge as an inferior seat...I do not put up with that entitled attitude at all and quickly begin to not care at all. However, that is not the situation we were dealing with here.

I have never seen a thread on FT full of such grumpy people before. This gives us a bad name and really zaps the joy out of things.
Taz, ULDB65, will2288 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by pgh234; Oct 6, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by pgh234
Challenge accepted, Bro (Thats how they say it in CA, right?)

So spd476 comes here to ask an honest question about traveling with his kid. You preach about how you are the one able to determine if it is an "emergency" or not (not sure why you are hung up on that term).

The real story here is about being human. I know you are too busy/important to hold open a door for someone or hold the elevator, but the rest of us value those little things that make society a pleasant place. It makes me happy when folks I don't know take a split second to make my day easier and I take pleasure in doing it back to them.

So lets fast-forward to airplane time, an even more public space (because you clearly cannot afford a private jet). Everyone is stuffed into a metal tube and it should be a time for general humanity and pleasant social interaction to be practiced at it's highest level by all.

Since you clearly plan ahead and have never bin IROP'ed before or had flight plans change last minute...these rest of us are not that lucky. So a dad/son, husband/wife, business partners, etc are split up. They would clearly rather be rubbing shoulders and having small talk with their acquaintance rather than you.

So a guy like spd476 gets on the flight, probably just a guy being a good dad who needs to take his kid somewhere (you had a dad too that I hope acted the same way)...and you will treat him like such an incompetent idiot for something YOU deem is not an emergency? Who the hell are you?

Now we all agree that, as the owner of your seat, you have the right to keep your seat (especially if you are offered an inferior one)...but please do not be so belittling to innocent spd476. If he asks you to move from 19C to 18C to sit with his son (and you are traveling alone, and the guy in 18B is not 300 lbs)...there is literally not one negative iota of feeling that I can offer to this guy! I will happily say "Sure! Please take my seat"...and I imagine that most decent folk that we bump into in this game of life would be more than happy to do the same. If anything, I got a better seat and I am happier that I made someone else's day a little brighter.

Now when someone squats in my seat and rudely demands I switch to what I judge as an inferior seat...I do not put up with that entitled attitude at all and quickly begin to not care at all. However, that is not the situation we were dealing with here.

I have never seen a thread on FT full of such grumpy people before. This gives us a bad name and really zaps the joy out of things.
In defense of the poster you are attacking, a lot of people try to take advantage these days and there is an ever-increasing sense of entitlement in society.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Of course, that's not in any way related to anything I said, but I suppose that's what you post when you have nothing substantive to post.
lol

like it's our job to change your mind or something? You're insanely deluded. I don't care one bit about changing your mind. You giving us a big laundry list of what you consider a "real" emergency isn't "substantive" either, so I don't see why you get hyperdefensive about my posting (of course, we all actually do kno why).
spamkiller likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
In defense of the poster you are attacking, a lot of people try to take advantage these days and there is an ever-increasing sense of entitlement in society.
I do agree with that whole-heartily. Entitled behavior, as I mentioned, earns a completely different response.
NotHamSarnie and spamkiller like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
The OP of this digression stated he only had middle seats..
Where does he state this?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Where does he state this?
Yeah, he specifically says "should I pick the best remaining aisle and window seats?"

I.e. no one is asking you to move to a middle seat.

This makes your whole rant against me meaningless
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:05 am
pvn
Suspended

And you're in violation of FT TOS.

Moderators?
There's a "report post" button if you need to cry about it. Use it.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Why do you think you have any right, either as a third party or as a parent with child asking for a seat swap, to determine whether my decision is valid, or acceptable, or whatever?
Literally nobody in this thread thinks that.

I'm not hyper-defensive at all. I explained the basis for my views clearly and specifically. And without calling anyone names.
Yes, we know, we're not disputing the basis for your views. Your condescension about people missing your point would be more credible if you actually took the time to read the posts you were responding to.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
Literally nobody in this thread thinks that.
And yet you wrote this: "You giving us a big laundry list of what you consider a "real" emergency isn't "substantive" either"

Yes, we know, we're not disputing the basis for your views. Your condescension about people missing your point would be more credible if you actually took the time to read the posts you were responding to.
So now we're not even discussing the subject, but me?

So I was correct: you have no substantive response, just insults.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator Review
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
bergamini and KevinDTW like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Friendly message from a moderator

Flyertalk invites civil discourse. When comments stray off topic or when individuals begin engaging in snarky, offensive and defensive behavior it undermines the value of the thread. There are many useful posts in this long thread, however, recent posts have lost much of the initial intent and value. I have deleted several posts in the interest of keeping the thread alive. Please engage in civilized discussion.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

I didn't know what I was getting into on this one. I called Delta this morning and they were able to put us in a row together. Row 36 in a 739 isn't the greatest but I'll take it in this case. On the plus side, it's a short trip to the lavatories. I'm usually the guy checking this site and Seatguru to pick a good seat. It was pretty much take these flights or not go on vacation. I could have flown United but I try to avoid connecting through ORD in the winter.

My next question is why is C+ so expensive on these flights. I paid $109 per seat on a ATL-LHR flight a couple of months ago. Delta wants $90 for the BMI-ATL segment (less than 1.5 hours) and $287 for the ATL-PUJ segment (3-3.5 hours) per seat. The C+ sections are mostly empty on the seat map. I can buy a lot of beer and snack boxes on board for that money.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476
I didn't know what I was getting into on this one. I called Delta this morning and they were able to put us in a row together. Row 36 in a 739 isn't the greatest but I'll take it in this case. On the plus side, it's a short trip to the lavatories. I'm usually the guy checking this site and Seatguru to pick a good seat. It was pretty much take these flights or not go on vacation. I could have flown United but I try to avoid connecting through ORD in the winter.
(y) I'm glad it worked out for you and, particularly, appreciate how proactive you've been. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Flyertalk invites civil discourse. When comments stray off topic or when individuals begin engaging in snarky, offensive and defensive behavior it undermines the value of the thread. There are many useful posts in this long thread, however, recent posts have lost much of the initial intent and value. I have deleted several posts in the interest of keeping the thread alive. Please engage in civilized discussion.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Thanks for restoring some civility with your actions today. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.