Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Wondering (although we'll never officially know) if this was a FAM bump based on experience. Friend and I are doing a TATL trip in November (outbound in approx 30 days). Separate reservations. He originally had 3A and I have 4A. Aircraft type: Airbus A330-300.

Today he noticed he was moved to 8J (the only window seat left, now all A/J seats are gone). I'm still in 4A. He reached out to Delta to see what happened. They said "there was an aircraft swap" (which isn't true as the flight was booked, it was an A330-300 and it's still an A330-300).

A little disappointed at the swap as we had back-to-back seats while both getting a window. Now if we want to sit together, we'd have to move to a pair of two in the middle section.

Has anyone else had experience with mysterious bumps if they previously selected 3A on an A330?
Twice - 3A on A330

First time I did not say anything because I got another good seat (which ended up being broken, but that is pure coincidence).

The next time it was not a good seat so I decided enough is enough and I called - they researched and found out a travel agent had booked it 3 weeks out (mine was 6 months out) and when they resolved the dupe they moved me! I said no way and they moved the other person and gave it back to me.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Yes, I agree with what you just said.

However, I'd hate to be thought of as a jerk.
It doesn't matter what other people think of you. You will never see them again.

It's important not to fall victim to the cognitive error of "The Spotlight Effect" where we tend to think people are watching and thinking about us more than they actually are.

The fear of seeming like a jerk is what seat usurpers are hoping will get you to comply. Same with panhandlers, religious recruiters and MLM people.
ESPECIALROB and KevinDTW like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
First, it's not the FAA, which imposes regulations, but Congress, which passes laws that came up with this one. From what I've read, it means airlines can't impose a charge, e.g. for a seat reservation, so that a parent can sit with a child. I'm not aware of anything that gives parents with children superior rights to seating over those traveling without children, i.e. I doubt if people are going to get displaced, but I may be wrong.
I would add that the law does not say "Families need to be seated with the child", just that at least ONE parent does. The whole family that thinks they are going to be reunited on the AC because of this law are seriously mistaken.

Does it mean people will get displaced? Possibly. But I would venture an educated guess that they will "triage" who gets moved based on fare class. They will start with standby's, then non-revs, base fare E-, then maybe lowest price E+ without program status etc etc etc. I doubt they will get far beyond base fare E- in most cases.

In short, this shouldn't impact the pax who paid extra $$ for premium seat selection.

And no, I still wouldn't give up my seat to reunite a family.
PTravel and ESPECIALROB like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It doesn't matter what other people think of you. You will never see them again.
Now how can you be sure about that?

It may be likely you'll never see them again, but going through life treating every person you see as an isolated and single interaction seems to be a rather obtuse way to go about things.

Do you harbor that same attitude (of not caring what other people think about you) with people who work in your same building? People who live in your same city? People who live on your same street? Or do you only draw that line with people on an airplane that you hope to never see again?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:07 pm

I would add that the law does not say "Families need to be seated with the child", just that at least ONE parent does. The whole family that thinks they are going to be reunited on the AC because of this law are seriously mistaken.

Does it mean people will get displaced? Possibly. But I would venture an educated guess that they will "triage" who gets moved based on fare class. They will start with standby's, then non-revs, base fare E-, then maybe lowest price E+ without program status etc etc etc. I doubt they will get far beyond base fare E- in most cases.

In short, this shouldn't impact the pax who paid extra $$ for premium seat selection.

Even BA would say that 32b, 34b, 33e were seated next to their parent in 33b, so I doubt this will be the legislation some people think.

Last edited by theddo; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

It's important not to fall victim to the cognitive error of "The Spotlight Effect" where we tend to think people are watching and thinking about us more than they actually are.

The fear of seeming like a jerk is what seat usurpers are hoping will get you to comply. Same with panhandlers, religious recruiters and MLM people.
I'll mostly agree here except on flights to/from my hometown of MSN. I see people I know a lot.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always said that parents should be seated near their children, but it was up to the airline to ensure that happened, not other pax. I'm hoping this law will cut done on seat-poaching and whining swap demands by parents by shifting the burden to the airline. I'm also looking forward to the airline telling a parent, "I'm sorry, we have no adjacent seats left on the flight you want to book," and preventing the parent from booking singles in an attempt to get around it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I've always said that parents should be seated near their children, but it was up to the airline to ensure that happened, not other pax. I'm hoping this law will cut done on seat-poaching and whining swap demands by parents by shifting the burden to the airline. I'm also looking forward to the airline telling a parent, "I'm sorry, we have no adjacent seats left on the flight you want to book," and preventing the parent from booking singles in an attempt to get around it.
As I understand the way the legislation is written, the airline won't be able to charge extra for a parent to sit with the child, so long as it's within the same class. So, for example, if the only seats available in coach (3x3 configuration) are 15B, 15C, and 19B, and 15C is a "preferred" seat for which the airline wants a $30 fee, a passenger traveling with a child will be able to get 15B and 15C without having to pay the $30 fee.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As I understand the way the legislation is written, the airline won't be able to charge extra for a parent to sit with the child, so long as it's within the same class. So, for example, if the only seats available in coach (3x3 configuration) are 15B, 15C, and 19B, and 15C is a "preferred" seat for which the airline wants a $30 fee, a passenger traveling with a child will be able to get 15B and 15C without having to pay the $30 fee.
That's my understanding, as well. I suspect, too, that if the airline charges for reserved seating, that charge would be waived for a parent and child. I'm not aware of anything in the legislation that mandates airlines to seat parents with their children by making room if only single seats are available.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
That's my understanding, as well. I suspect, too, that if the airline charges for reserved seating, that charge would be waived for a parent and child. I'm not aware of anything in the legislation that mandates airlines to seat parents with their children by making room if only single seats are available.
What about BE ? I don't think you should be able to purchase BE seats if one of the party is under 13 or whatever the age is. If they allowed that all hell would break loose.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL can always make the preferred seating a separate cabin class, like C+ on most routes, and call it an "upgrade." Then DL weouldn't be forced to give such seats to families for free.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgparent
What about BE ? I don't think you should be able to purchase BE seats if one of the party is under 13 or whatever the age is. If they allowed that all hell would break loose.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL can always make the preferred seating a separate cabin class, like C+ on most routes, and call it an "upgrade." Then DL weouldn't be forced to give such seats to families for free.
I have no answer to either of these possibilities. The airlines certainly aren't going to want to lose money. Frankly, I don't care either way as long as ticketed pax with seat reservations aren't displaced to make room for families.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What I hope won't happen is that airlines and the DOT implicitly let families cheat (not even game) the system by purchasing one good seat and putting everyone else in BE, then demanding that all of the BE brats be given otherwise expensive seats near the one good seat.

IMO when you purchase a BE fare, you sit in whatever middle seat the computer assigns. Period. No exceptions.
dgparent likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
The exact wording is that children be “seated adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13,” so long as it's the same cabin and one of the sponsors specifically stated it was to eliminate leaving "them at the mercy of other passengers who must decide whether to trade seats". It pretty clearly allows for requiring adjustment of passenger seats to accomplish this and as I mentioned before, that's already United policy. It will be nice to not have a passenger determine when a parent is worthy of sitting next to their child.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bergamini
The exact wording is that children be “seated adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13,” so long as it's the same cabin and one of the sponsors specifically stated it was to eliminate leaving "them at the mercy of other passengers who must decide whether to trade seats". It pretty clearly allows for requiring adjustment of passenger seats to accomplish this and as I mentioned before, that's already United policy. It will be nice to not have a passenger determine when a parent is worthy of sitting next to their child.
We'll see. Any airline that requires strangers to swap to inferior seats for families is going to lose an awful lot of FF business travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.