Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
Here is how the etiquette should work in a civilized society: Take the seat you are given, shut up, and don't bother anyone else. Oh, and don't travel with kids unless you are fleeing a dictatorial regime or relocating for good.

If we all did that, the issue of how to refuse wouldn't be a problem. If there were no kids, the problems of self entitled parents being separated from their crotch fruit and demanding strangers accommodate them would be rare indeed.
That's unnecessarily hostile, and this is coming from someone who is childfree and has every intention of remaining so.

Also, in my experience, seat poaching is much more commonly an issue with adult couples who want to sit together than it is with parents wanting to sit next to their children. I'm not familiar with the process, as it doesn't affect me at all, but I know there are all kinds of regulations about how a minor has to be seated next to a guardian unless he's unaccompanied or something. The gate agents can see all the tickets that belong to minors, so it's usually never an issue.

Oh and lastly, my father worked for Delta when I was young, so my brother and I grew up flying all the time, and we behaved just fine. There's nothing wrong with traveling with kids, as long as parents don't let them run wild in the airport or on the plane. Sure I've seen obnoxious children, but I've seen obnoxious adults, too, and I unfortunately can't stop them from flying either. I feel sorry for children who grow up never flying anywhere, because they're missing out on the invaluable experience of seeing other countries or remote parts of their own country.
Don't bother feeding the troll.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
That's unnecessarily hostile, and this is coming from someone who is childfree and has every intention of remaining so.
Being willfully child-free is the newest solution in need of problem.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:33 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Formulanone
Being willfully child-free is the new solution in need of a problem. It's like saying, "nobody can force me to own a yacht."
Or I chose to not own a yacht because (fill in with myriad of reasons).

Same for not having children. It is a choice but once has a child (or a cat/dog) then the parent (owner) is responsible for its behavior, upkeep and preventing them from annoying others.

Children are a part of life but shouldn't be unwilling forced on others. Same for adult behavior but adults are responsible for their own actions.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Or I chose to not own a yacht because (fill in with myriad of reasons).
Kind of my point, but due to the inaccuracy and misguided use of English as an Only Language, I struck it from my post.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

Witnessed a funny one on WN this weekend:

Short flight from LAS to SAN. Near the end of boarding, when the high-C's are waddling aboard and there are only middles left along with NO overhead space, this young couple boards and the guy approaches the gentleman in the aisle seat infront of me and says "Would you mind moving? There are no double seats left".

The gentleman replies "Where?" and the guy says "Over there" pointing to an empty middle seat one row back. Yet another person who thinks couples are more entitled to choice seats than solo pax.

The gentleman in the seat obviously replies with a shocked "No" and the guy's girlfriend looks mortified. I could hear the muffled snickering of everyone who heard the exchange. Nobody else offered to swap either.

Amazing that someone with a high C on a full flight would hope to sit with his partner, but more amazing that he would ask an A boarder to sit in the middle. Oh well..if you don't ask you don't get. Also, you don't get if you DO ask.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM

Short flight from LAS to SAN. Near the end of boarding, when the high-C's are waddling aboard and there are only middles left along with NO overhead space, this young couple boards and the guy approaches the gentleman in the aisle seat infront of me and says "Would you mind moving? There are no double seats left".

The gentleman replies "Where?" and the guy says "Over there" pointing to an empty middle seat one row back. Yet another person who thinks couples are more entitled to choice seats than solo pax.

The gentleman in the seat obviously replies with a shocked "No" and the guy's girlfriend looks mortified. I could hear the muffled snickering of everyone who heard the exchange. Nobody else offered to swap either.

Amazing that someone with a high C on a full flight would hope to sit with his partner, but more amazing that he would ask an A boarder to sit in the middle. Oh well..if you don't ask you don't get. Also, you don't get if you DO ask.
Good story.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold

I always wonder how it would go if someone offered, say, 20 bucks to any aisle with an empty middle to switch rows to a middle seat. Would there be any rules against that if attempted onboard?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by matthew64832
I always wonder how it would go if someone offered, say, 20 bucks to any aisle with an empty middle to switch rows to a middle seat. Would there be any rules against that if attempted onboard?
If it didn't delay boarding, probably not.

But I probably wouldn't take it, unless (1) it were a very short flight, (b) neither person next to the middle seat was overweight, and (iii) at least one of the people next to the middle seat was a beautiful woman.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:55 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I like to respond with "let me think about it" <1/2 second pause> "no".

I think it is more polite to give the question some thought.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

How about saying "Let me think about it" and just never getting back to them?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Doesn't that delay the flight when the asker stands in the aisle waiting for your answer?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't that delay the flight when the asker stands in the aisle waiting for your answer?
Yes, a whole half second, I think everyone will survive.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:42 am
HMO

If you do that, he could have insisted believing you really considered to change. I don't think it is a good idea.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I'd probably just chuckle, shake my head, and go back to my book/movie/whatever. (Thinking "kettle".)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Here is how the etiquette should work in a civilized society: Take the seat you are given, shut up, and don't bother anyone else. Oh, and don't travel with kids unless you are fleeing a dictatorial regime or relocating for good.

If we all did that, the issue of how to refuse wouldn't be a problem. If there were no kids, the problems of self entitled parents being separated from their crotch fruit and demanding strangers accommodate them would be rare indeed.
Though if what you suggest were to become a rule people would just get leashes and a "support animal" banner for their crotch fruit to bypass the restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.