FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:11 pm
matthew64832

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
Witnessed a funny one on WN this weekend:

Short flight from LAS to SAN. Near the end of boarding, when the high-C's are waddling aboard and there are only middles left along with NO overhead space, this young couple boards and the guy approaches the gentleman in the aisle seat infront of me and says "Would you mind moving? There are no double seats left".

The gentleman replies "Where?" and the guy says "Over there" pointing to an empty middle seat one row back. Yet another person who thinks couples are more entitled to choice seats than solo pax.

The gentleman in the seat obviously replies with a shocked "No" and the guy's girlfriend looks mortified. I could hear the muffled snickering of everyone who heard the exchange. Nobody else offered to swap either.

Amazing that someone with a high C on a full flight would hope to sit with his partner, but more amazing that he would ask an A boarder to sit in the middle. Oh well..if you don't ask you don't get. Also, you don't get if you DO ask.
I always wonder how it would go if someone offered, say, 20 bucks to any aisle with an empty middle to switch rows to a middle seat. Would there be any rules against that if attempted onboard?