Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Sure, it's asking for a favor, but there's clearly a spectrum of acceptability in terms of whether asking for a favor is bad manners. Asking someone next to you in an elevator "excuse me, do you have the time" is a polite request for a very minor favor. Telling that same person "I demand you come home with my right now and dedicate your life to providing me sexual pleasure," pretty much the other end of the spectrum.
Fan of 50 Shades of Grey?
cestmoi123 and spamkiller like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by pvn
You omitted the dishonest part (which just confirms my assertion that you were willfully dishonest). Here's what was actually written:

None of the people are OVERLOOKING the fact that they're asking a stranger for a favor.
pvn: I honestly do do believe that many seat swappers choose to overlook, or do not even understand, that asking for a seat swap is asking for a favor. Personally, I don't ask strangers for favors unless I absolutely have to. I respect their right not to be bothered by me. Others have posted the reasons many of us don't like to be bothered for a seat swap, not unless there is a real need for it. But you don't care about that, as you have made clear.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Literally zero people in this thread are defending people who make demands, it's been pointed out that this is a strawman argument at least 200 times.

And sorry, unless you carry around a big neon sign that lets people know that you consider any request, however minor, to be an act of aggression, there's no way for other people to know. That plus the fact that the vast majority of humanity does not consider asking a question to be an aggressive act means that you're just doomed to be bothered. There's literally nothing that can be done about it, other than you demanding that the other 99% of humanity change to suit your personal preferences, which would, given your own standards, be an unreasonable imposition.

Too bad!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Literally zero people in this thread are defending people who make demands, it's been pointed out that this is a strawman argument at least 200 times.

And sorry, unless you carry around a big neon sign that lets people know that you consider any request, however minor, to be an act of aggression, there's no way for other people to know. That plus the fact that the vast majority of humanity does not consider asking a question to be an aggressive act means that you're just doomed to be bothered. There's literally nothing that can be done about it, other than you demanding that the other 99% of humanity change to suit your personal preferences, which would, given your own standards, be an unreasonable imposition.

Too bad!
Talk abut strawmen! Talk about hyperbole!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Maybe not this thread, but I've seen threads that basically posited that solo travelers had an absolute duty to switch seats to accommodate groups of 2 or larger. And more than a few people didn't see anything wrong with that argument, basically implying that solo travelers were morally wrong for not ceding their own wants and desires to those traveling in pairs.

I've had people attempt to make me feel guilty for failing to switch with them, so they could sit next to their husbands. I've had people imply to the rest of the cabin that I was being rude because I politely declined a request to swap into a bulkhead seat. I even had one husband who tried to make me feel guilty because I was in first class on a last minute paid ticket which meant his wife didn't get the upgrade - basically trying to convince me that I needed to switch seats with his wife (that was an absurd case anyways because the wife had dementia and instead of declining his own upgrade, he expected the flight attendants to take care of his wife).

So yes, I am less inclined to even want to be approached for a seat swap. It doesn't mean I'm going to automatically say no, in fact I usually will say yes if the swap is politely asked and in my favor or I can see a real emergency need, but I really would prefer to not even be put in the position of having to deal with it.
Tizzette likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
That's an important distinction. No one has a "right" not to be asked a question or for a favor. A preference not to be asked, yes. A right, no.
bergamini likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
I mean, you get that this argument goes both ways, right? You don't NEED to sit in the seat that is listed on your boarding pass. You WANT to.
Indeed, I WANT to. Which is why I paid for it, and why I have more right to it. What's more, my WANTS were worked out with the airline...not with some other pax.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Again, your seat, your call. How about if, instead of Comfort+, my seat had been in First? Would you have still taken your regular economy seat, and turned down the First Class seat, on principle? How about if I offered you $100 as well?
Ahhh. The hypotheticals again.

Of course I would take an F seat over an econ+. As I said up thread, I would take swap offers if they involved an UG..but as I also said, this NEVER happens. 30 years of regular flying. Not once was I offered something even marginally better than where I was.

100 dollars? Nope. Maybe if you made it 1000...if we are talking "what ifs" over what "is".
ESPECIALROB and BadgerBoi like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
As I said up thread, I would take swap offers if they involved an UG..but as I also said, this NEVER happens.
Except, in the example I described (which DID happen), I DID offer an upgrade from Y to C+, and the person took it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Fan of 50 Shades of Grey?
Good Lord, no. The S&M described in the book was nothing compared to the suffering the author inflicted on the poor, defenseless English language.
Occupationalhazard likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Except, in the example I described (which DID happen), I DID offer an upgrade from Y to C+, and the person took it.
I tend to think exceptions prove the rule. I am not going to walk around in rubber boots all the time because some people get struck by lightening on rare occasions.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I tend to think exceptions prove the rule. I am not going to walk around in rubber boots all the time because some people get struck by lightening on rare occasions.
Maybe you should. Karma is coming to get you.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
SLC-EWR I found a poacher, obviously friends with the middle seat, in my widow C+ offering one row forward and I somewhat reluctantly accepted because the window was a bit farther back and would accommodate 24" shoulders in a 17" seat a bit better.

Then my newest, closest, E fare "upgraded" ham sammich best friend showed up and asked for her requisite seatbelt extension.

I kept my cool the whole way, only cracking up when the poacher told her fellow aisle and middle to hold up and let me reach over them for my carryon when de-planing because I'm a "good guy"
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:44 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you hadn't swapped, they would have asked the other middle person to swap and she probably would have, so you'd be stuck with the same seat mate anyway.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Maybe you should. Karma is coming to get you.
Karma is an ignorant and superstitious concept. There is no rational reason and no scientific evidence to suggest there is a magical universal providence that dishes out justice in subtle ways, nor is there any connection between unrelated objective acts with subjective cultural connotations.
PTravel and BadgerBoi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.