Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there a reason the GA made me gatecheck bags with plenty of overhead storage left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a reason the GA made me gatecheck bags with plenty of overhead storage left?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Am I reading that right? The most you can declare for excess value is $5k? If so I will not be flying Delta again if I can help it.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Flying from LAX -> ATL -> SAV tonight. I am a professional photographer traveling on assignment, which means in my roll-aboard is probably $60k worth of equipment (medium format cameras, lenses, computers, etc, DYKWIA blah blah), basically everything I need to make a living. It all fits perfectly in a rather standard bag, which, albeit heavily, I am easily able to lift and put in the overhead bins. This is my only carry-on. I have marginal-at-best DL status, client was paying for transportation so I'm stuck boarding towards the end.

I get to the gate agent about 2/3rds of the way through the boarding process and immediately get a load of tone from the gate agent telling me how that has to be checked through to my final destination, full flight, overhead bins already full, etc. Before I can even say anything she is printing out the tags and trying to put it on my bag. Right in front of me on the jetway is a clearly startled family tearing things out of their bags because they'd also been told there was no room left on the flight, and they too, would have to take what they could from their bags and leave them in the cargo hold.

At this point I'm trying to discuss what's in the bag with the gate agent, of course she isn't having any of it and since I don't want to look like an idiot for holding up the line, painfully admit defeat here, and take out what I can (camera body, computer, etc) and cross my fingers that everything will arrive in one piece.

I walk down the jetway and get on the plane and see AT LEAST HALF OF THE OVERHEAD BINS ARE EMPTY.

This is absolutely infuriating. F/As of course won't let me go collect my bag, so I sit there fuming and full of anxiety for the entire flight over something that I was more or less lied to about. Why the heck would the gate agent be so absolutely convinced that there is no more room in the overhead bins for luggage, and be so clearly wrong? Of course the gear is insured and everything, but it's an enormous hassle, especially when on the way to do work and there is a very real possibility of lost/missing luggage on a time-sensitive assignment.

It of course sounds a little 'DYKWIA' of my to say 'well I'm a photographer, this is expensive stuff, etc' and that of course everyone's belongings should be treated fairly, but there was a somewhat comical amount of room left in the overhead bins. It was a 767, maybe 3/4 full in the rear cabins. I would be pissed even if I wasn't a photographer, just a normal guy who ended up having to deal with this, or god forbid a family of four with small children.

Hugely disappointing.
I would insist on buying insurance and require that the Gate Agent state, in writing, that everything in the bag was covered, taking full responsibility for any loss or damage. I would explain that we would both go through the bag and itemize everything in it in the event that a claim was necessary.

Then I would explain that it would take me at least 10 minutes to remove all the lithium batteries in the bag.

I've never been forced to gate check, for some reason.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boltman519
This happened to me in ORD two weeks ago. Boarded with Sky, the red coat let everyone in front of me on no issue, starting with me just randomly started to take bags and told us he had to check them. Get on the plane and well over half the over head space was empty.
Boarding legally with zone SKY should guarantee bin space or something is very wrong.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sethb
I would insist on buying insurance and require that the Gate Agent state, in writing, that everything in the bag was covered, taking full responsibility for any loss or damage. I would explain that we would both go through the bag and itemize everything in it in the event that a claim was necessary.

Then I would explain that it would take me at least 10 minutes to remove all the lithium batteries in the bag.

I've never been forced to gate check, for some reason.
Is there somewhere online that I can see this optional insurance?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Request "supplemental insurance". Since the camera gear is not normally covered, the insurance would be the only way to protect it with Delta. That insurance must be sold at the ticketing counter, causing massive issues for the GA. I've faced this a few times, and each time, when I requested supplemental insurance If they were going to check it, the GA and FAs miraculously found room on board.
Unfortunately what the insurance doesn't solve is the problem of your gear being broken when you get to your destination. I know I would not have time to replace the contents of my bag when I arrive before I need it to make my living.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by tkey75
Unfortunately what the insurance doesn't solve is the problem of your gear being broken when you get to your destination. I know I would not have time to replace the contents of my bag when I arrive before I need it to make my living.
What requiring to buy the insurance solves is the requirement to gate check. Selling the insurance takes time, which the GA won't spend.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tkey75
The point of requesting the insurance is to motivate the GA or FA to take the path of least resistance, which is finding room for YOUR bag. On two particular flights I ran into this issue, my bag was stored in the coat closet up front as all bins actually were full.

I'm in the same line of work, and often travel with two medium format digital camera backs that together are worth the value of a Mercedes. It's never easy. If the flight is looking like it's packed, I've requested to pre-board. I've also purchased early boarding on airlines other than Delta, to increase chances at overhead bin space.

Bottom line is, I find a way to get the gear on board that is most crucial to the job. If needed (like on an RJ sometimes), I'll pull the backs from my roller and place them in my briefcase, as they're the hardest to replace on short notice, along with a camera body and a lens. That way, worst case scenario, I can still do something if all of my luggage is destroyed.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mikekelley
Is there somewhere online that I can see this optional insurance?
I mis-typed, it's actually called "Excess Valuation": http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...age-value.html
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Boarding legally with zone SKY should guarantee bin space or something is very wrong.
A medallion behind me based in ORD said that this particular red coat does it often. When he knows it's going to be full and they need bags checked he just starts requiring people to do it through out instead of at the end.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I would agree that sometimes it is to get the flight out quicker and speed up the boarding process. I once had a GA have me check a small rollerboard on a Delta shuttle from LGA to BOS. When I boarded, there was plenty of space in the overhead bins, which I have found to be typical of those shuttles during the week with lots of people just making a quick day trip. I didn't fight when they asked me to check it and was just thankful to get on the flight (it was one of those crazy days in LGA with several flights delayed/cancelled and where Delta was actually giving out Amtrak's number over the PA as an alternative means of trasnportation).

Of course I wasn't so happy when my bag never showed up on the baggage carousel in BOS and was never to be found. So unfortunately for Delta in this instance, having me check my bag eventually caught up with them financially. I am sure that this is a rarity though and could have been something beyond Delta's control (e.g., theft at BOS). And when you travel enough, I guess at some point you are going to have that one piece of luggage that never makes its way back to you. On a good note though, this is the first piece of luggage that has never made its way to me eventually, I was only on an overnight trip to NYC with minimal items in the suitcase, and Delta promptly reimbursed me without hassle.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:45 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by TTT
"I am a lithium ion battery salesman and this bag is chock full of them."
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.