Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Benefits Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Choice Benefits Question

I will have about 120k rollover miles when that accually happens.
Have enough flights in Jan. to hit DM again. But that won't happen until I meet the 25K spending waiver about April.

Question is, I will then be DM at once without Delta even seeing me go through PM.

Will I still get the 1 PM choice and then the 2 DM choices?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
A guess would be that you will hit Platinum as soon as they record your MQD's for Platinum and then move to Diamond when you hit those MQD's. Unless you think you will hit them all in the same billing cycle.

If that is the case, you should be able to go in and choose both at the same time.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
A guess would be that you will hit Platinum as soon as they record your MQD's for Platinum and then move to Diamond when you hit those MQD's. Unless you think you will hit them all in the same billing cycle.

If that is the case, you should be able to go in and choose both at the same time.

OP is not talking about MQDs, he is talking about the Amex waiver. He will be at 125k+ MQM by the time his Amex spend waiver hits in April. He would instantly requalify as Diamond at that time without ever spending any time as a [future] Platinum.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: DLDM
yes...will get 3 perks!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes

OP is not talking about MQDs, he is talking about the Amex waiver. He will be at 125k+ MQM by the time his Amex spend waiver hits in April. He would instantly requalify as Diamond at that time without ever spending any time as a [future] Platinum.
Correct, I will not have enough MQD's for either by the time I hit 25K spending.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Yeah you'll jump to Diamond, but still be able to choose three Choice Benefits - one PM and two DM.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all. That is what I was hoping to hear.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Yeah you'll jump to Diamond, but still be able to choose three Choice Benefits - one PM and two DM.
I don't think that is correct because he is DM now and will get his MQD qualification via the AMEX waiver, therefore he won't cascade through the levels. Instead he will requalify instantly as a DM once the waiver hits.

I think it would be correct if he was cascading up through the levels on MQD WITHOUT the waiver.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
it seems to me the OP is maintaining DM status and therefore he will only get 2 rewards.

A situation where one gets 3 it could be when somebody has a truckload of MQM, but doesn't pass the MQD threshold above PM.
Therefore for 2015 he is initially requalified as PM (with lots of carryover MQM) until he hits the amex waiver, at which point he is bumped to DM for the remaining part of 2015 and 2016 and gets 2 more choices, in addition to rhe one as a PM at year's start.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Ahh my mistake. For some reason I thought that to be the case, but after re-reading the terms, you're correct - Choice Benefits are only awarded "upon a status change to Platinum or Diamond Medallion within a given status year." - so he would only get the two Diamond benefits. Sorry OP, and thanks to everyone who corrected me.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
"Eligibility for Choice Benefits is based upon a status change to Platinum or Diamond Medallion within a given status year. Members who qualify for 2015 status in 2014 will only be eligible for 2015 Choice Benefits. Choice Benefits selections for 2014 status need to be made by February 28, 2015; selections for 2015 status need to be made by January 31, 2016."

So if I am reading this right, if you qualified as a Diamond in 2014, you have until 2/28/15 to select one Platinum & two Diamond Choice Benefits? Is that correct?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
"Eligibility for Choice Benefits is based upon a status change to Platinum or Diamond Medallion within a given status year. Members who qualify for 2015 status in 2014 will only be eligible for 2015 Choice Benefits. Choice Benefits selections for 2014 status need to be made by February 28, 2015; selections for 2015 status need to be made by January 31, 2016."

So if I am reading this right, if you qualified as a Diamond in 2014, you have until 2/28/15 to select one Platinum & two Diamond Choice Benefits? Is that correct?
This is for those who qualified in CY 2013 for 2014 status. You qualified in CY 2014 for 2015 status so you have until Jan 31, 2016.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I don't think that is correct because he is DM now and will get his MQD qualification via the AMEX waiver, therefore he won't cascade through the levels. Instead he will requalify instantly as a DM once the waiver hits.

I think it would be correct if he was cascading up through the levels on MQD WITHOUT the waiver.
I'm not sure on this. I would think he could still be considered as passing through Gold and Plat in order to qualify/requalify as Diamond. Delta, of course, will do it however they want so I would be curious to have a report back in April to see how it posts.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Seabilly
I'm not sure on this. I would think he could still be considered as passing through Gold and Plat in order to qualify/requalify as Diamond. Delta, of course, will do it however they want so I would be curious to have a report back in April to see how it posts.
You are correct. He will get one Platinum and two Diamond choices.

The equivalent would be an MQD total of $8,999 and MQM of 124,900. One buys a one way BE ticket costing $6,002 so at the completion of the segment, the traveler has MQD and MQM which qualifies him as a Diamond. The flyer never spent time as a Diamond...but he passed through on his way to Diamond thus getting the Platinum Choice Benefit.

Last edited by emrdoc; Jan 23, 2015 at 11:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.