Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there a reason the GA made me gatecheck bags with plenty of overhead storage left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a reason the GA made me gatecheck bags with plenty of overhead storage left?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Flying from LAX -> ATL -> SAV tonight. I am a professional photographer traveling on assignment, which means in my roll-aboard is probably $60k worth of equipment (medium format cameras, lenses, computers, etc, DYKWIA blah blah), basically everything I need to make a living. It all fits perfectly in a rather standard bag, which, albeit heavily, I am easily able to lift and put in the overhead bins. This is my only carry-on. I have marginal-at-best DL status, client was paying for transportation so I'm stuck boarding towards the end.

I get to the gate agent about 2/3rds of the way through the boarding process and immediately get a load of tone from the gate agent telling me how that has to be checked through to my final destination, full flight, overhead bins already full, etc. Before I can even say anything she is printing out the tags and trying to put it on my bag. Right in front of me on the jetway is a clearly startled family tearing things out of their bags because they'd also been told there was no room left on the flight, and they too, would have to take what they could from their bags and leave them in the cargo hold.

At this point I'm trying to discuss what's in the bag with the gate agent, of course she isn't having any of it and since I don't want to look like an idiot for holding up the line, painfully admit defeat here, and take out what I can (camera body, computer, etc) and cross my fingers that everything will arrive in one piece.

I walk down the jetway and get on the plane and see AT LEAST HALF OF THE OVERHEAD BINS ARE EMPTY.

This is absolutely infuriating. F/As of course won't let me go collect my bag, so I sit there fuming and full of anxiety for the entire flight over something that I was more or less lied to about. Why the heck would the gate agent be so absolutely convinced that there is no more room in the overhead bins for luggage, and be so clearly wrong? Of course the gear is insured and everything, but it's an enormous hassle, especially when on the way to do work and there is a very real possibility of lost/missing luggage on a time-sensitive assignment.

It of course sounds a little 'DYKWIA' of my to say 'well I'm a photographer, this is expensive stuff, etc' and that of course everyone's belongings should be treated fairly, but there was a somewhat comical amount of room left in the overhead bins. It was a 767, maybe 3/4 full in the rear cabins. I would be pissed even if I wasn't a photographer, just a normal guy who ended up having to deal with this, or god forbid a family of four with small children.

Hugely disappointing.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I saw this happening on a flight to SJU once, and boarding in Zone 1 no less. I had a small rollaboard that fits easily into the bins and 'snugly' under the seat if needed on a 757. I politely told the GA that I knew my bag would fit at my feet and that's where I'd put it - she sighed and sent me down the jetway.

Got on board, and easily 75% of the bins were completely empty and doors wide open. It was comical. I don't know what the deal was - miscommunication from the FAs to GA, over-eagerness to proactively gate check, or what.

Compare that to my flight yesterday where I boarded dead last only to be greeted by a long line in the jetway and the FAs telling pax that they all needed to go back to the GA to check their bags. Once on board, the bins were completely full, with nearly the entire aisle coming back upstream to check bags. At one point all of the FAs except the one in FC were carrying bags and BPs back up for people...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some GAs believe tha flight will finish boarding more quickly if they aggressively gate check as many bags as they can. There have been reports of GAs going around before boarding starts and trying to bribe people with drink or snack coupons to voluntarily agree to gate check in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some GAs believe tha flight will finish boarding more quickly if they aggressively gate check as many bags as they can.
I think this is the issue. I have had the same experience of an extremely insistent GA forcing us to check bags when half the bins were empty. One can't really argue about it, because for all you know, the bins are full and even polite discussion these days can potentially result in being denied boarding.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can remove the gate check tag in the gateway, especially those little valet tags with the elastic string. If the bag really doesn't fit, you can put the valet tag back on it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can remove the gate check tag in the gateway, especially those little valet tags with the elastic string. If the bag really doesn't fit, you can put the valet tag back on it.
I wish I had done this, but of course, trusted the GA that she was on her stupid little radio or whatever communicating with the FAs who told her that the bins were actually full. I wouldn't have so much of an issue if the bins were actually full - my fault for trying to cram a four course dinner down my throat at Lemonade before getting on the flight, but hell, at least tell me the truth, especially considering the contents of said bag. Not one bit cool.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I wish I had done this, but of course, trusted the GA that she was on her stupid little radio or whatever communicating with the FAs who told her that the bins were actually full. I wouldn't have so much of an issue if the bins were actually full - my fault for trying to cram a four course dinner down my throat at Lemonade before getting on the flight, but hell, at least tell me the truth, especially considering the contents of said bag. Not one bit cool.
So you play their game..

"Okay, but it will take me some time here at the gate to take out all the things I can't be without, possibly causing a delay. Or I can try to find some bin space."

At that point, they'll either relent or dig in further. At least you know and are no worse off.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Once a GA tried to gate check my bag in F because it didn't fit perfectly in the sizer (I had stuffed it a bit). I nodded and walked down the jetway with the bag tag and tore it off and boarded the plane.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United
File a complaint ... and refuse next time as electronics (cameras) are not covered as checked baggage.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've had a few GA's tell me there is no space, only to find similar situation to the OP.

Are DL GA's still compensated by flights out on time/early? I hope this isn't the reason.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
So you play their game.
"I am a lithium ion battery salesman and this bag is chock full of them."
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
"I am a lithium ion battery salesman and this bag is chock full of them."
That's kind of clever, actually. ^

Before one goes ahead and tries that line, recognize:

1. You're making a false statement in order to board the plane with your bag.

2. There are quantity limits on certain types/sizes of lithium batteries.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Simple. "Are you saying Delta will accept responsibility for breaking all my camera gear in this bag?" Which answer is, of course, no.

I once was on a CR2 with a photographer from National Geographic. You can bet he didn't check his bag. It was huge and fortunately there was an empty seat he could strap it into. It's no different than people who get on board with instruments.

As for tearing off the bag tag (not the pink valet type), if you do that, give it to a FA to note that the bag wasn't checked. Otherwise it will appear there is a bag missing--at least that's what I've been told by a FA.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
This whole issue is a direct result of the checked bag charging aspecct they put into place. At least it intensified since then. This is happening all over the Delta system. Some flights and plpane types are more succeptible than others. There is no consistancy in this as well. The result of this is now people are bringing even bigger carry ons to avoid bag fees assuming they can now check it at the gate for "free". Meanwhile, people who follow the rules get caught up in the mess. 10 years ago, every once in a while you would have a late boarder have to gate check a bag on a full MD-88. Now, it is not uncommon to see 8 or 9 people forced to gate check bags to their final stop.
So, basically, your status now allows you to board early so you can find room for your overhead bag, yet, this was not an issue nearly to this extent before Delta started to charge for checked bags.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
I once was on a CR2 with a photographer from National Geographic. You can bet he didn't check his bag. It was huge and fortunately there was an empty seat he could strap it into. It's no different than people who get on board with instruments.
The difference is that larger musical instruments require the purchase of an extra seat by the traveller. IMO, the Nat Geo guy should have traveled enough to know that a second seat might be required for his bag, especially on a CR2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.