Wiki Posts
Search

Msp question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:38 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP seems to believe that his own time is much more valuable than his wife's time.

He could also take a shuttle van from MSP to the Rochester area or book a car service for the trip.
It is nice that you point out options for the OP, but occasionally you get very pushy into other people's personal decisions (There was another thread not too long ago where you did the same thing). Why not be more polite about it by pointing out the options they have and then letting them make their own decision without criticizing?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
There is a shuttle that I have never taken because it doesn't go all the way to RST (I think its last stop is a hotel about 4 or 5 miles from RST) but it does leave from MSP. It's relatively inexpensive too. I would think that would be perfect for someone who lives 10 minutes from RST.
I've never checked out the details of the shuttles, but I notice Rochester signs at the inside counters near the taxi loading area.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ktown
Seriously? RST to MSP is 86 miles. So, assuming you live 10 miles closer to MSP, you are asking your wife to drive 150 miles roundtrip on hwy 52 (almost a freeway) and pick you up so you don't have to wait in a world class airport with world-class amenities for an equal amount of time that it will take her to drive up there.
Thanks for the lesson on how to get to MSP via 52 as I haven't made that trip 30 or so times, lol

I didn't realize it took 3 hours to drive 75 miles but anyway we have other plans in the area

The OP seems to believe that his own time is much more valuable than his wife's time.
Either that or my wife wants to go shopping at MOA so I combine her shopping trip into not sitting around an airport for 3 hours.

Thanks for your concern about how I treat my wife

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
It is nice that you point out options for the OP, but occasionally you get very pushy into other people's personal decisions (There was another thread not too long ago where you did the same thing). Why not be more polite about it by pointing out the options they have and then letting them make their own decision without criticizing?
Exactly !! I am well aware of Rochester Direct Shuttle ( I have used it before) and if ASKED before I was called out for not respecting my wife I would have explained the ENTIRE situation but some people like to ASSUME things

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
You can get a rough idea as to what your connection will be like by using flight status for today's or yesterday's flights to find out what gates are likely to be used and then looking at the map of msp on delta dot dumb

Bob H
Thanks for the advice
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Thanks for the advice
You can check gates and actual times for the last month on flightaware.com. There's also information on the incoming aircraft that's usually right (and when it's wrong, this tends to be very obvious).
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

You can check gates and actual times for the last month on flightaware.com. There's also information on the incoming aircraft that's usually right (and when it's wrong, this tends to be very obvious).
You gave me great advice on my question(s). Thank You

Maybe I can return the favor by suggesting that in the future you ( and others) ask a person the details before insulting them.

If we did not plan on going to MOA I would definitely be using Rochester Direct $29) for my ride home.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

If you don't have many bags, you could take the light rail from MSP to MOA (all basically indoors and with excavators/elevators/ramps so you're not going up or down stairs with luggage) and perhaps meet wife at a restaurant there for dinner instead of her driving to the airport and either doing short term parking or coordinating when and where to pick you up. Either way, the fare or parking fee, will be about $2.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

If you don't have many bags, you could take the light rail from MSP to MOA (all basically indoors and with excavators/elevators/ramps so you're not going up or down stairs with luggage) and perhaps meet wife at a restaurant there for dinner instead of her driving to the airport and either doing short term parking or coordinating when and where to pick you up. Either way, the fare or parking fee, will be about $2.
Thanks, our usual plan is she checks that my flight has departed before leaving the house. Then she parks in the cell phone lot at MSP. I then call her when I'm about 5 minutes away from passenger pickup.

Before anyone jumps on me we always do something in the area that night, State Theater, Wild Game, twins game, MOA , etc
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I wonder if we'll ever see admission of guilt/an apology on this board...

Flyer4512, you've got some class and I can appreciate that. Well handled
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
If the MOA is not in the plans - then get off at the 28th Avenue Park & Ride.
With a very large 4 story parking deck it is a very easy place to meet and
while no restaurants around there are plenty available off of American
Boulevard and the 494 strip.

Using the light rail from Terminal 1 (Lindberg) is a slight hassle navigating
your way to find it and then going 3 stories down underground to ride the
train for about 10 minutes to the MOA with 4 stops in between.
From Terminal 2 (ole Humphrey Terminal) it is a long walk to the rail station.
The fare is free between the two terminals but a couple of bucks to go to
the MOA.

BLUE LINE light Rail stops
From downtown Minneapolis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - 8 +
Terminal 1 (Lindberg)
Terminal 2 (Humphrey)
-Free ride ends fare required-
34th Avenue/American Boulevard
Bloomington Central Station
28th Avenue Park & Ride
MOA
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:43 am

OP's wife and ride will be at MOA.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:19 am

Thanks, our usual plan is she checks that my flight has departed before leaving the house. Then she parks in the cell phone lot at MSP. I then call her when I'm about 5 minutes away from passenger pickup.

Before anyone jumps on me we always do something in the area that night, State Theater, Wild Game, twins game, MOA , etc

It would appear you do this frequently (fly out of msp). How are you not more familiar with the operations of Delta at MSP?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I wonder if we'll ever see admission of guilt/an apology on this board...

Flyer4512, you've got some class and I can appreciate that. Well handled
I have yet to ever see a heartfelt apology anywhere on flyertalk...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:25 am

I usually drive to MSP and fly but flying RST/MSP/BDL R/T is about $300 cheaper than flying MSP/BDL.

Does Delta use the same concourse for all of it's flights into and out of MSP ?

There seems to have been a time change on my RST/MSP leg so I only have 45 minutes between flights at MSP.

Thanks
Gotta love that pricing. I often consider driving from MSP to RST to catch flights.....many of which are cheaper to connect to the same flight (parking is cheaper too). Oh well, I guess they call this the free market.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

OP's wife and ride will be at MOA.
Nope, she will pick me up at MSP as I described earlier.

Originally Posted by ktown
It would appear you do this frequently (fly out of msp). How are you not more familiar with the operations of Delta at MSP?
I answered this already. Higher prices and/or miles so my flights now are rarely on Delta and I have never flown a connection through MSP

Some people are making this into a big deal, all I asked was if all incoming and outgoing Delta flights used the same concourse at MSP

Delta is usually priced much higher so I haven't flown then lately and have never flown a connection through MSP as I live an hour away.
Originally Posted by NachoAirline
Gotta love that pricing. I often consider driving from MSP to RST to catch flights.....many of which are cheaper to connect to the same flight (parking is cheaper too). Oh well, I guess they call this the free market.
I haven't paid for a flight since 2007 ( fly about 8 times per year) but I had the $440 in free travel via the Arrival card and saw MSP/BDL was $800 or so but for some reason I checked RST/BDL and it was about $300 so I charged the trip on the card and paid using my arrival points.

I use EZ AIR PARK at MSP when I drive. It's offsite but I have never had to wait more than 2 minutes for a shuttle. It's about $10 a day I think, less per week and every so many paid days earns one free day.

Delta recently added new flights to Detroit and Atlanta out out RST.

Originally Posted by dereiziger
I have yet to ever see a heartfelt apology anywhere on flyertalk...
I don't need an apology but follow up comments about why I don't know Delta's operations at MSP seem very odd.

If I knew the answer does anyone think I would post the question ?

I got a lot of good info along the way so before this turns into something it shouldn't why don't call the thread closed

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 10, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.