Msp question

Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Msp question

I usually drive to MSP and fly but flying RST/MSP/BDL R/T is about $300 cheaper than flying MSP/BDL.

Does Delta use the same concourse for all of it's flights into and out of MSP ?

There seems to have been a time change on my RST/MSP leg so I only have 45 minutes between flights at MSP.

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:18 pm

Same concourse probably not but same terminal yes. MSP tends to be very easy to get around in. 45 minutes should be no problem. Especially considering the RST/MSP flight is most likely on an RJ of some type and won't take you long to get off.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I usually drive to MSP and fly but flying RST/MSP/BDL R/T is about $300 cheaper than flying MSP/BDL.

Does Delta use the same concourse for all of it's flights into and out of MSP ?

There seems to have been a time change on my RST/MSP leg so I only have 45 minutes between flights at MSP.

Thanks
All DL flights use Terminal 1 (aka Lindburg) at MSP. It's divided into 7 concourses: A and B for small commuter planes, C (shared with US and maybe another carrier), D, E (used by UA, etc. IIFC), F and G. All are connected airside. Forty-five minutes should be fine if your first flight is on time, but you need to move cirectly to the new gate.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
<deleted>

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm Reason: misread post #2
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Delta uses the same terminal at MSP but multiple concourses. RST-MSP is operated by a mix of equipment. If you are flying on a 50 seat CRJ then you will arrive in the A or B concourse. If on one of the CRJ-7/900s you will most likely arrive in concourse C. If on mainline you may arrive in C, D, F, or G.

Your flight to BDL may depart from either C, D, F, or G.

If arriving on a CRJ of some sort I would suggest not brining an overside carryon bag. The pink tag retrieval process can easily take 5-10 minutes. If there is a hint of delay that is just another layer of added stress.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:37 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
45 minutes should be plenty of time, even if you have to wait for a gate checked bag. Keep in mind if you do come in the A, B or end of C terminal, there is a bridge between C and G so you don't have to walk all the way around.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I knew that it was the same terminal, pretty long walk to Humphrey, lol

I was just wondering if all Delta flights used the same concourse which I now realize they don't.

Delta is usually priced much higher so I haven't flown then lately and have never flown a connection through MSP as I live an hour away.

The RST/MSP flight say CRJ and the MSP/BDL says CRJ900

Thanks for the tip on the carry on, I get free bags so I may check my carry on for RST/MSP/BDL flight but on the way back I don't plan on waiting 3 hours for a connecting flight and will get picked up at MSP so I will carry the bag on for that flight.

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 8, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:15 pm

Unless you're going to spend a long time in Connecticut, why not just frive to RST and leave the car parked there during the trip? I think parking is relatively cheap at that small airport.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless you're going to spend a long time in Connecticut, why not just frive to RST and leave the car parked there during the trip? I think parking is relatively cheap at that small airport.
I live 10 minutes from RST and about an hour from MSP.

My wife is dropping me off at RST for the outbound and picking me up at MSP for the return flight as I have no desire to wait 3 hours for a connection.

I realize Delta frowns on this but it's a one time thing and if they wanted to charge me the card I paid with has long since been cancelled.

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 8, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Also note that the "C" & "G" concourses have moving walkways and the
connector between the two.
Also "C" has a two car tram that transits from the junction of the "A"-"B"
concourses with 2 stops to the junction with the "D" concourse.
If the tram is available take it - it is much faster than the moving walkways
especially if connecting to the "D" - "E" (other airlines) - "F" and gates 1-6
on the "G" concourse. If the tram is not available for immediate use then
use the moving walkways.
Results of a time versus distance study when I had time to waste.
Not a perfect science but like 'Clint' said "A man had know his limitations" !
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I live 10 minutes from RST and about an hour from MSP.

My wife is dropping me off at RST for the outbound and picking me up at MSP for the return flight as I have no desire to wait 3 hours for a connection.

I realize Delta frowns on this but it's a one time thing and if they wanted to charge me the card I paid with has long since been cancelled.

Seriously? RST to MSP is 86 miles. So, assuming you live 10 miles closer to MSP, you are asking your wife to drive 150 miles roundtrip on hwy 52 (almost a freeway) and pick you up so you don't have to wait in a world class airport with world-class amenities for an equal amount of time that it will take her to drive up there.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by ktown
Seriously? RST to MSP is 86 miles. So, assuming you live 10 miles closer to MSP, you are asking your wife to drive 150 miles roundtrip on hwy 52 (almost a freeway) and pick you up so you don't have to wait in a world class airport with world-class amenities for an equal amount of time that it will take her to drive up there.
I was thinking the same thing. I sometimes drive to RST to fly through MSP because I can save hundreds of dollars in certain situations (usually flying to airports in the Upper Midwest...$450 fare compared to $1000+) and I usually have close to a 3 hour connection on the return. I just hang out in the Sky Club and get caught up on paperwork.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
You can get a rough idea as to what your connection will be like by using flight status for today's or yesterday's flights to find out what gates are likely to be used and then looking at the map of msp on delta dot dumb

Bob H
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by ktown
The OP seems to believe that his own time is much more valuable than his wife's time.

He could also take a shuttle van from MSP to the Rochester area or book a car service for the trip.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP seems to believe that his own time is much more valuable than his wife's time.

He could also take a shuttle van from MSP to the Rochester area or book a car service for the trip.
There is a shuttle that I have never taken because it doesn't go all the way to RST (I think its last stop is a hotel about 4 or 5 miles from RST) but it does leave from MSP. It's relatively inexpensive too. I would think that would be perfect for someone who lives 10 minutes from RST.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.