Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by dmorbust
The point is that this morning was the first time a DL official - in this case President Glen Hauenstein - used the word "imminent" to describe exciting news re. taking the relationship with Korean to the next level.

Previously, any talk of a JV being imminent was pure speculation without any actually supporting quotes from important DL or KE employees (the most we'd hear was that they were "optimistic" of a closer relationship).

Given Glen's "imminent" words this morning, I believe a JV will be announced in 2017, perhaps even in Q1.
And here is the first time I hear the words spoken from a high-level Korean exec, in this case from new President Walter Cho (son of Chairman): Cho said the carrier is working on its joint venture with Delta. “We’re very eager to get it started,” he said. “All of the trans-Pacific {service} excluding China will be in the JV.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#4ab1f4366c64

That is by far the most definitive sign I've seen that this is going to happen soon, with even the territories being spelled out.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The writing was on the wall for this one ever since Hanjin Shipping collapsed. Korean Air was deeply exposed to Hanjin and is now under a crushingly colossal debt load, having spent a fortune propping them up that they've now had to write off.

I expect the structure of a deal to involve a large investment by Delta in exchange for very favorable JV terms that wouldn't have been even considered as recently as two years ago. I think in the next twelve months, we will see a realignment toward Seoul that spells the final end of the Narita hub...

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/H...-of-Korean-Air
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
The writing was on the wall for this one ever since Hanjin Shipping collapsed. Korean Air was deeply exposed to Hanjin and is now under a crushingly colossal debt load, having spent a fortune propping them up that they've now had to write off.

I expect the structure of a deal to involve a large investment by Delta in exchange for very favorable JV terms that wouldn't have been even considered as recently as two years ago. I think in the next twelve months, we will see a realignment toward Seoul that spells the final end of the Narita hub...

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/H...-of-Korean-Air
Throw in new DL management, more competition from other Asian carriers, and the falling viability of NRT as a connecting hub, and you've a good case for a full DL/KE partnership.

I think they might finally need each other enough.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have a Korea/Japan round trip in April - get on this, guys!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Confirmation will be KE's return to group 1 partner status.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Confirmation will be KE's return to group 1 partner status.
Let's hope that GUCs and upgrades with miles from reasonable fares apply to the KE intraAsia flights. That was part of what made the original NW/KLM JV attractive to elites. Being able to upgrade on the interport flights beyond NRT similarly made it attractive for some of us to take that connection and not book on Asian carriers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
That is by far the most definitive sign I've seen that this is going to happen soon, with even the territories being spelled out.
Seriously?? There is NOTHING definitive about this. Any number of factors could cause the "deal" to fall thru (I put deal in quotes cause we don't even know that there is a deal). Even if both airlines agree (that's a BIG if), either government could veto it quickly (or slowly).

Just look at the title of this thread (JV imminent) created in 2014 to see how many people have (wrongly) believed this was definitive before you
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I think they might finally need each other enough.
I think KE has been humbled. It is kind of funny to watch them now have to pretty much go begging for a bailout. But, ultimately, this will be great for DL passengers and good for DL.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think KE has been humbled. It is kind of funny to watch them now have to pretty much go begging for a bailout. But, ultimately, this will be great for DL passengers and good for DL.
I wonder if DL will try to acquire a stake in KE. Such a move would fit DL's MO lately.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: delta dm
And here is the first time I hear the words spoken from a high-level Korean exec, in this case from new President Walter Cho (son of Chairman): Cho said the carrier is working on its joint venture with Delta. “We’re very eager to get it started,” he said. “All of the trans-Pacific {service} excluding China will be in the JV.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#4ab1f4366c64

So I pick sky magazine today and I look at the route maps and delta is planning a nonstop Melbourne Australia not a big deal but then I scan North and a now they are planning a nonstop to Seoul. I guess Korean and Delta are not even pretending to be friends anymore?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dzflyer
So I pick sky magazine today and I look at the route maps and delta is planning a nonstop Melbourne Australia not a big deal but then I scan North and a now they are planning a nonstop to Seoul. I guess Korean and Delta are not even pretending to be friends anymore?
Nonstop to Seoul from where? DL already has TPAC nonstops to ICN, IIRC from DTW and SEA.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I wonder if DL will try to acquire a stake in KE. Such a move would fit DL's MO lately.
One of the articles mentions KE is looking for an infusion of around $500m (with questionable prospects for raising it), which would be consistent with what DL put into MU.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nonstop to Seoul from where? DL already has TPAC nonstops to ICN, IIRC from DTW and SEA.
I think it's from ATL if I remember. Basically KE codeshare with DL, AND DL codeshare with KE. However the flight times on one end are hours apart but on the other close together. Timing doesn't make a lot of sense on whichever end it was.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From Atlanta to go straight against the Korean Air flight. And the gloves are off!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Seriously?? There is NOTHING definitive about this. Any number of factors could cause the "deal" to fall thru (I put deal in quotes cause we don't even know that there is a deal). Even if both airlines agree (that's a BIG if), either government could veto it quickly (or slowly).

Just look at the title of this thread (JV imminent) created in 2014 to see how many people have (wrongly) believed this was definitive before you
So first of all please keep in mind that I am the person who wrote this at the time of Glen Hauenstein's Investor Day remarks: "Previously, any talk of a JV being imminent was pure speculation without any actually supporting quotes from important DL or KE employees (the most we'd hear was that they were "optimistic" of a closer relationship)."

So I agree that everything before Glen's investor Day remarks was pure speculation. However, Walter Cho's words coming on the heels of Glen's leads me to reiterate that this "is by far the most definitive sign I've seen that this is going to happen soon." Execs at this level have a tendency not to make market moving quotes that are false. Finally, if you have any experience doing business in Korea, you'll know that for a President to be quoted saying that means it is likely a done deal. Loss of face is a much bigger deal there than in the US.

Lastly, DL/KE already have ATI. I don't see the governments getting in the way of a JV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.