Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Tags - Boobish or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Sometimes they make flying a little bit more easy. Searching for a fastrack/SP line on some airports where you did arrive for the first time and some proactive agents will automatically wave you through/point you to the right direction.
Flash the card and some agents guarding the entrance those fastrack/SP lines let you through instead of having to grab the physicall card out of you wallet.

And they are a method to distinguish my bag from your identical bag and to facilitate locating my bag when it goes astray.
As far as what other people think about the tags on my pieces, I really don’t care. I'm just trying to get to my destination as smoothly as possible.
That has worked in my favor, too...an agent saw the tag on my checked bag and waved me over.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boltman519
So question on the tag deal. I just hit PL for the first time and took off my 3yo gold tags. I just randomly noticed there is no bar code on them nor is my skymiles number. Whats the point if that is not there? I only have them on there so ensure (along with my normal tag) that if my bag gets lost for some reach they can scan it and get it back to me. Anyone else notice this?
The barcode has not been on the tags for years, which is exactly why I still use those old tags.

What's the point of the tags without the barcode? Some answers given here, maybe others like the bling. FWIW, I have suggested to DL that they bring back the barcode tags.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
From my experience clanking tags means a DYKWIA is coming.... Isn't It is sad that most of the DYKWIA's seem to have to announce their real or assumed status? I guess it goes with the role.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
The barcode has not been on the tags for years, which is exactly why I still use those old tags.

What's the point of the tags without the barcode? Some answers given here, maybe others like the bling. FWIW, I have suggested to DL that they bring back the barcode tags.
I keep the old tags for that reason, although I also wonder if they have the ability or desire to scan the barcode now that the new ones don't have them. I don't have the new cards on me; do they at least have the Skymiles # on them? I don't understand the reasoning behind doing away w/ the barcode, since it was meant to facilitate bag retrieval--at least that's what I remember printed in the info packet that came w/ the tags.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I PROUDLY have my FO tag attached to a zipper on my back back and another attached to my checked suitcase. I'm not a DYKWIA (yet...) but felt a sense of pride and accomplishment hitting FO and was excited to finally receive the tags and put them to work.

I'll be even happier in around 3 weeks when I can replace the FO cards with the GM cards that should be en route. I was disappointed that the cards didn't have my name or Skymiles # on them when they arrived. They serve no real purpose but to remind me how awesome I am, kind of like receiving a non monetary commendation at work! It's the little things....
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Marilu
I keep the old tags for that reason, although I also wonder if they have the ability or desire to scan the barcode now that the new ones don't have them. I don't have the new cards on me; do they at least have the Skymiles # on them? I don't understand the reasoning behind doing away w/ the barcode, since it was meant to facilitate bag retrieval--at least that's what I remember printed in the info packet that came w/ the tags.
There is nothing on them other the number to contact delta. No barcode, no SM number.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Must be a dozen threads on this same topic.

But it’s funny about these threads. There is so much angst from some here about Medallion tags but if you flash a KM tag or a FT tag on your bag, somehow that is .
The FT ones are so far beyond geeky, I don't even know how to respond... Many on this board like to laugh at "kettles" and they do encompass a WIDE swath of humanity for certain, but there are probably way more cool kettle-types that I would rather hang with and share a drink in the "NON-Skyclub" than someone who puts one of those things on their bag, or wears a Diamond Medallion ID card AROUND THEIR NECK on display... Think about it.. LOL Too funny..
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Perhaps this isn't the message board for you.
^ Good one! (got to take it in small doses...)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
With a few quirky exceptions, I will never...

1. Wear a badge around my neck.
2. Wear anything or put anything on my person, clothes or bags that visibly displays any kind of corporate branding.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Boltman519
There is nothing on them other the number to contact delta. No barcode, no SM number.
I guess you could just re-order your dm/pm/gm/fo card that has your info on it, punch a hole in it and attach to your bag?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
I guess you could just re-order your dm/pm/gm/fo card that has your info on it, punch a hole in it and attach to your bag?
I could, it's not a huge deal, I do have a more traditional tag on my carryon/checked bag so that is not and issue. The PL tag was just a nice back up just in case something happened. I also kept one my back pack in case it ever got separated from me. There is a good chance I hit DM towards the end of year so that will be my fourth set of tags as I'll traveled the whole gauntlet of levels since February, last thing I need is to order another one.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puddinhead
I keep a FO,tag on my carry-on. We usually buy FC and its fun to go to the GA.for a question them turn and announce to Mrs. P. 'look we get to fly in FC' in front of the elites.

I put my bag in theO H bin so the FO tag can be seen as the SP flyers walk on.

So it's mostly to annoy others that didn't get a freebie.

I use the plastic tags fron DL and hotels on luggage. I cover the tag with a plastic covered paper label and attach the tag with a aircraft cable keychain so it will stay on for at least 3 flights. The underlying company isn't seen. I'm not into providing free advertising for anyone.
I think we need to form a team and irritate traveling boobs.. you'd be my kind of seat neighbor that I might not have to ignore the whole flight..
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by resolute
I think we need to form a team and irritate traveling boobs.. you'd be my kind of seat neighbor that I might not have to ignore the whole flight..
J.B., are you serious - I never imagined you doing this sort of stuff.

David
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I have a bright yellow FT Tag on my backpack along with a TWA Ambassador Club tag.

I get nice comments all the time about the TWA tag. I've never had anyone say anything about the FT tag.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by 5khours
With a few quirky exceptions, I will never...

1. Wear a badge around my neck.
2. Wear anything or put anything on my person, clothes or bags that visibly displays any kind of corporate branding.
A badge around my neck is normally mandatory for me. But, that badge is normally a special one or two different badges i.e. company badge and contractor badge where I'm working. One, being my company (A Fortune 100 corporation but that's not why I have to wear it) badge.

As far as my DM tags, I have one on my backpack for a couple of reasons. For one, I wear a "track suit" (as someone else on this forum mentioned and is probably more fitting than my description as sweat pants) when traveling and a lot of times, I'm coming from the SC and walk up to the SP lane at the gate after boarding has started and between the tag and the GA thanking me for my DM status, I save a lot of lower Medallions and kettles a lot of stress knowing that a superior is barging in front of them. Ok, maybe not the Medallions but I've never had an issue with a kettle since I started this practice.

The other reason is that when I fly home Friday, I will be transferring my backpack DM tag to my regular baggage for the third time in less than a year due to the trucking DM tag not making it to my destination. I'm just about out of DM tags now. Although I believe I can buy more on delta.com, I won't get sucked into DL's latest money grab. I think it's curious that after they started prominently selling them on our profiles, they started disappearing in flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.