Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Tags - Boobish or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
I posted this in the employee puppy guarding the SP line thread yesterday:

While flying out of TPA last week, the guy in front of me during F boarding had a DM tag on his luggage. We were chatting in the jetway, and I asked him if he has was going to reach DM again this year. He told me that the DM tag was from a couple of years ago, and that he was GM this year.

He said that he kept it on his luggage as he got treated better by GA's & FA's with the DM tag.

In my case, after only flying a couple of times a year from 2010-2012 I started 2013 having been busted down to "Skymiles member". I went from no status to Platinum in 2013, and also passed 1MM miles. Having earned my Platinum & 1MM status in 2013, I happily have my tag on my backpack, which I carry for work.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I do this as well, but mine is not some type of OCD, instead it comes from working in a cash business when I was much younger and wanting my cash drawer to be in neat order when I was making change or when it was counted down at the end of the night.
Same here. I worked at a video store (remember those?) when I was much younger. I still arrange cash in order by denomination with it all facing the same way.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by RRDD
Same reason that a 4 year wears a crown from Burger King
Burger King gives out crowns??

Totally boobish. The only ones who advertise status, don't have it.

Glad to know that I'm not the only person that does this, although I arrange them lowest to highest (1's in front).
Wow! What are the chances both of you would end up in this thread? Amazing!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:04 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
To writerguyfl and the others:

Arranging cash is fairly common. It's called "facing" your bills and is not unusual for anyone who has handled significant amounts of cash or does immediate accounting.

There was always a legend that using Medallion tags disimproved your luggage handling at CVG. I never tempted fate.

In fact, I always use my club card rather than my Diamond card for access to the SkyClub. It might or might not be appreciated; probably depends on the personality of the checker.

Almost anytime you interact with a Delta employee, they can tell your status quickly. (Yeah, I can list the exceptions too.). My Porsche experience is that they hold name cards, but it is limited.

Still, multiple years of aluminum luggage tags make a really neat wind chime. You might try it!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
People have quirks.....I have to have all the Presidents facing the same way in a stack of money. And, I always stack them from highest denomination to lowest.
Years ago my manager told me to always have the Presidents face the same direction when placing cash in the drawer; thus ensuring that I looked at each bill at least once before putting it away.

My quirk ... After removing my valuables from the bin that was sent through the x-ray machine, I turn the bin upside down, thus ensuring I didn't forget anything.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I have one on a lanyard around my neck. I always tell the GA "who I am" prior to boarding - so I get "special" treatment.

I also had a tattoo of one of the DM tags put on my arm to show "my status". I requested extra tags so I can bring three carry-on bags that do not fit in the sizer on board to fill up "my" space "in the front".

I refuse to put anything under seat in front of me. I am treated like a king with my tags and tattoo. A King. Next flight I will wear a Burger King crown as well.

I have ordered a t-shirt and ball cap as well. DM baby.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kettle1
I have one on a lanyard around my neck. I always tell the GA "who I am" prior to boarding - so I get "special" treatment.

I also had a tattoo of one of the DM tags put on my arm to show "my status". I requested extra tags so I can bring three carry-on bags that do not fit in the sizer on board to fill up "my" space "in the front".

I refuse to put anything under seat in front of me. I am treated like a king with my tags and tattoo. A King. Next flight I will wear a Burger King crown as well.

I have ordered a t-shirt and ball cap as well. DM baby.

Sorry to hear about that tattoo, rumor has it AS is orchestrating a takeover and you'll then no longer be a DM. The new unannounced level will be MVP Gold 125k. Comes from very trustworthy sources who asked not to be identified for fear of RA "having their back."
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Every year the design of the DM and other tags seems to change. Therefore GAs and FAs should be able to tell at a glance whether one is a current year DM or not.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Every year the design of the DM and other tags seems to change. Therefore GAs and FAs should be able to tell at a glance whether one is a current year DM or not.
I'm fairly certain that most GAs and FAs pay no attention to subtle changes in design on these tags.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:36 am
k2

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm fairly certain that most GAs and FAs pay no attention to subtle changes in design on these tags.
Agreed, only the BP or manifest will expose imposter-DM-posers from the real-DM-posers.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had similar experiences with my DM tags.
+2
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still use my 'clanky' ones since they have the barcode with SM# on them, so its another identifier in case something happens and the bag gets lost. I have my plastic charter ones put away.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I have never been big on the idea of displaying my status, but wonder if I'm missing out on some good customer service treatment at times because of it.

Not lots, but some... when it matters... like keeping your bag on board with cash in it with the bills facing the same way.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by calrick
Not lots, but some... when it matters... like keeping your bag on board with cash in it with the bills facing the same way.
Nice...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
So question on the tag deal. I just hit PL for the first time and took off my 3yo gold tags. I just randomly noticed there is no bar code on them nor is my skymiles number. Whats the point if that is not there? I only have them on there so ensure (along with my normal tag) that if my bag gets lost for some reach they can scan it and get it back to me. Anyone else notice this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.