Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Tags - Boobish or not?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds

I have used the tags for years. I use to like them when the FF number was on them and wish Delta would still do that.
^

I have different bags that i use based on how heavy i need to pack. Some have more current status (Diamond) 1 has an old style (GOLD) when the tags were half tall. I love using that bag and turning left on 757 .

I, like another poster, don't replace the tags unless they break.

One benefit i have had happen was coming through the Sky Priority security in ATL last year, there was one of the Porsche drivers looking for Diamond tags. He pulled a couple of us and took us downstairs and drove us out to our gates. He said that he was looking for Diamond tags on our luggage.

Seems there are several benefits to having tags on your bags. Of course, they are BAG TAGS and not People tags.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by nichelle
I have no issue with the tags. If the tag is attached to a bag that is being carried by an individual who acts "boobish" then that's a different story. But it has nothing to do with the tag and everything to do with the person.
Ditto - I keep my tags on my bags for identification and for priority handling (those silly yellow stickers always fall off). Frankly, I don't care that much what others do with their tags, but I do take some exception to people acting boobish in general.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by timmy83
I do take some exception to people acting boobish in general.
^^^^
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I use a free "this bag flew free" tag that I got a few years ago for some reason or other on my roller bag that I carry on -- It has another one or two that flag it a bit

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Sep 14, 2014 at 10:05 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:01 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I keep a FO,tag on my carry-on. We usually buy FC and its fun to go to the GA.for a question them turn and announce to Mrs. P. 'look we get to fly in FC' in front of the elites.

I put my bag in theO H bin so the FO tag can be seen as the SP flyers walk on.

So it's mostly to annoy others that didn't get a freebie.

I use the plastic tags fron DL and hotels on luggage. I cover the tag with a plastic covered paper label and attach the tag with a aircraft cable keychain so it will stay on for at least 3 flights. The underlying company isn't seen. I'm not into providing free advertising for anyone.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
I've never used the prestige or status tags. I had this decision reinforced years ago at a Corporate Security for Executives training. I learned not to use flashy or high end luggage and to avoid any displays that might make me look like a lucrative target for kidnapping, robbery or theft. There are bad boys here and abroad who are very perceptive....
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM,1MM
They should just microchip us all, and then have a flashing DYKWIA sign activate as we enter the plane, LOL.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
It took me a while and a few dollars to get my DM status - I wear and show off mine with pride -on my luggage though and not around my neck.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
But it’s funny about these threads. There is so much angst from some here about Medallion tags but if you flash a KM tag or a FT tag on your bag, somehow that is .
You need to show your KM tag so the DMs know whose bag they need to carry.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:04 pm

It is just like . . .

Originally Posted by resolute
I have been various levels (Silver to Diamond) of Medallion over the years with periods of no status in between (past 20 years)... I don't think I have ever put any bag tags on my bags Delta has sent me (even back when they sent you the Medallion Tags embossed with your name and FF number)...

But I have always wondered why some people have to go out of their way to try and advertise their status when flying (or even when not flying).. The funniest instance I ever saw was earlier this year while I was in a smaller European City (Bologna Italy - DL doesn't even fly there!) and I got in a hotel elevator with some man and his wife and the guy is wearing one of those name tag holders like you would wear at a trade show with his Diamond Medallion card in it, around his neck! And he wasn't even in an airport.. I looked at it and said "Boy, I guess you want EVERYONE to know you are a diamond medallion, don't you? in a slightly sarcastic tone and he responded something like "Well it really saved us in CDG today..." and something about almost missing his connection if the airport personnel had not seen he was a Diamond and whisked him to the gate or something like that.. He just kind of gave off a bit of a nerdy, geeky vibe and sort of made me a bit embarrassed to be associated with this type of heavy traveler who seemed so dorky about traveling..

My thought is that anyone who believes the airline employees think you are special just because you are a Diamond,Platinum, Gold or Silver and want to flaunt it to them or other travelers is silly. Why does one need the tags or to publicly advertise it? Whenever they pull up any res of yours in the computer, they will see if you are status or when you scan your boarding pass to get on, they see it too on the machine, And the Flight Attendants probably could care less anyway. you are just another body in a seat to them, and I doubt they bother checking out everyones luggage tags. Maybe its just me, but I prefer being as nondescript as possible when traveling and these tags seem a bit silly

What do others think about these tags?
I do not use my DM tags at all because they are meaningless. Kinda like those folks that put Disneyworld stickers on their cars to let people they do not know and will never meet on the Interstate whey they went there.

When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering." ~ Don Miguel Ruiz
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
One time I was on a rental car shuttle back to the airport at either LAX or DTW and when exiting the bus someone noticed their tag was turned around and they made sure to flip it over so everyone knew they were a Gold or make sure the tag is flipped over with their status showing when it gets thrown in the bin which I find excessive.
People have quirks. I have mild OCD that manifests itself in odd ways. For example, I have to have all the Presidents facing the same way in a stack of money. And, I always stack them from highest denomination to lowest.

An observer watching me hand over a stack of bills to a cashier might view my behavior as flaunting my wealth. But, it's just the way my brain works. Perhaps Mr. or Ms. Rental Car Shuttle simply wanted the tag right-side up.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by puddinhead
I keep a FO,tag on my carry-on. We usually buy FC and its fun to go to the GA.for a question them turn and announce to Mrs. P. 'look we get to fly in FC' in front of the elites.

I put my bag in theO H bin so the FO tag can be seen as the SP flyers walk on.

So it's mostly to annoy others that didn't get a freebie.

I use the plastic tags fron DL and hotels on luggage. I cover the tag with a plastic covered paper label and attach the tag with a aircraft cable keychain so it will stay on for at least 3 flights. The underlying company isn't seen. I'm not into providing free advertising for anyone.
Best post yet on why to keep thos FO tags.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
People have quirks. I have mild OCD that manifests itself in odd ways. For example, I have to have all the Presidents facing the same way in a stack of money. And, I always stack them from highest denomination to lowest.

An observer watching me hand over a stack of bills to a cashier might view my behavior as flaunting my wealth. But, it's just the way my brain works. Perhaps Mr. or Ms. Rental Car Shuttle simply wanted the tag right-side up.
Are we related?

Glad to know that I'm not the only person that does this, although I arrange them lowest to highest (1's in front).

I also agree with wanting the tag right-side up. I tend to do that a lot.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Are we related?

Glad to know that I'm not the only person that does this, although I arrange them lowest to highest (1's in front).
I do this as well, but mine is not some type of OCD, instead it comes from working in a cash business when I was much younger and wanting my cash drawer to be in neat order when I was making change or when it was counted down at the end of the night.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It took me a while and a few dollars to get my DM status - I wear and show off mine with pride -on my luggage though and not around my neck.
This rings true I think for most people. Thanks for telling the truth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.