Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tardyturtle
This wiki is intended to contain a list of opportunities to fly internationally configured wide-body aircraft within the United States, aside from the usual JFK-LAX/SFO 767s and newer domestic DeltaOne routes. This is a collaborative wiki, not an OP-maintained thread; please contribute by editing the wiki directly as you become aware of regularly scheduled or repositioning flights. Schedules change far more frequently than community members have time to update this wiki; therefore please verify the equipment before purchasing a flight.

Airbus A350
None at the moment

Airbus A330-900
DL308 JFK-SEA dep 7:00am arr 10:05am (as of June 5 2021)
DL327 SEA-JFK dep 11:45am arr 8:25pm (as of June 5 2021)

Airbus A330-300
DL44 ATL-JFK dep 12:15p arr 2:31p (as of Oct. 26)
DL45 JFK-ATL dep 3:20p arr 5:50p (as of Oct. 26)

Airbus A330-200
None at the moment

Boeing 767-400ER
ATL-MCO (multiple options in Dec.)
MCO-ATL (multiple options in Dec.)
DL355 ATL-SEA dep 9:40a arr 12:05p (as of Oct. 26)
DL364 SEA-ATL dep 1:36p arr 9:15p (as of Oct. 26)
DL858 ATL-SLC dep 10:01a arr 12:04p (as of Oct. 26)
DL906 SLC-ATL dep 1:55p arr 7:28p (as of Oct. 26)

Boeing 767-300ER
JFK-LAX (majority of flights)
LAX-JFK (majority of flights)
ATL-LAS (three daily flights as of Oct. 26)
LAS-ATL (three daily flights as of Oct. 26)
ATL-MCO (multiple options through Jan.)
MCO-ATL (multiple options through Jan.)
DL1999 ATL-FLL dep 9:40a arr 11:30a (as of Oct. 26)
DL1999 FLL-ATL dep 12:55p arr 2:44p (as of Oct. 26)
DL426 ATL-JFK dep 9:52p arr 12:05a (as of Oct. 26) - certain dates operated by a 764
DL424 JFK-ATL dep 6:10a arr 8:34a (as of Oct. 26) - certain dates operated by a 764
DL1997 ATL-MIA dep 4:29p arr 6:17p (as of Oct. 26)
DL1997 MIA-ATL dep 7:45p arr 9:35p (as of Oct. 26)
DL2020 ATL-TPA dep 6:05p arr 7:32p (as of Oct. 26)
DL1536 TPA-ATL dep 8:10a arr 9:39a (as of Oct. 26)

Boeing 757-200 w/ 16 flat-bed seats
These international narrowbodies would normally also fly the domestic DeltaOne routes JFK-LAX/SFO, BOS-LAX, and DCA-LAX.

During COVID-19, when many international routes are suspended, they can be found on some domestic routes (including Hawai'i):

Regular service through March 2021:
JFK-LAS
JFK-PHX
JFK-SAN
JFK-SEA
JFK-SFO
JFK-SLC
LAX-KOA
SEA-KOA
SEA-OGG

Positioning / one-offs:
SLC-SEA
SLC-LAS
SLC-BOS 4x a week
BOS-LAX
JFK-MEX
JFK-SJU
LAX-HNL

one way to search for these on ITA

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Try this as both the origin and destination on ITA. I used the hubs and frequent destinations for widebodies, but you could put in whatever airports you're interested in.

ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, LAX, SLC, JFK, SFO :: dl / aircraft t:777 t:747 t:330 t:76z t:76l t:76t t:764
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Unfortunately, the above doesn't work for 767s. Use this instead:

ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, LAX, SLC, JFK, SFO :: dl / aircraft t:777 t:747 t:330 t:767
This Delta Cargo schedule lists wide body routes by region.

Looks like the A350 is running between LAX and ATL, Sunday only Red-Eye to ATL, Monday evening only return to LAX. Through Sept. 6th

Print Wikipost

Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Last I checked it was gone, interesting that they brought it back again.
I assume the service will be back for Summer when Orlando is packed again like it was over Spring Break. Enjoying our slightly less busy few weeks now between Spring Break and Summer seasons!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by xliioper
2x daily from June 5th - 17th as part of the June schedule update this weekend. They are gone after the 18th, but suspect they may get extended through rest of June when they update the rest of the June schedule.
Whats weird is that in May routes like JFK-ANC are on a 767 and MCO-ATL has none. In early June, the 767 on JFK-ANC is replaced by a 757 while MCO-ATL gains a few 767 flights. Very strange aircraft utilization tactics by DL here.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by sharktums
I assume the service will be back for Summer when Orlando is packed again like it was over Spring Break. Enjoying our slightly less busy few weeks now between Spring Break and Summer seasons!
IME it’s still seems pretty packed here. Drove I-4 over to Lakeland on Friday and the traffic out by Disney was brutal (much worse than normal). Took nearly an hour to get from Polk Parkway to Champions Gate on the way home and was well after rush hour (8pm).
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
IME it’s still seems pretty packed here. Drove I-4 over to Lakeland on Friday and the traffic out by Disney was brutal (much worse than normal). Took nearly an hour to get from Polk Parkway to Champions Gate on the way home and was well after rush hour (8pm).
In fairness is that stretch of I-4 ever anything but a complete cluster*?
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I don't even live in FL and hate that stretch.
cmd320 and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:37 am

Yeah it’s always pretty bad but I’ve had good luck avoiding it if I leave early morning or late in the evening. I guess I should have considered that it was a Friday, but leaving at 8pm was still a disaster.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I don't even live in FL and hate that stretch.
Thankfully I don’t have to drive it very often as I live on the other side of Orlando but it’s a nightmare for anyone who works or lives near there. A new study came out and stated I-4 is the deadliest highway in America which doesn’t surprise me given the # of unfamiliar tourist that drive it every day.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by xliioper
2x daily from June 5th - 17th as part of the June schedule update this weekend. They are gone after the 18th, but suspect they may get extended through rest of June when they update the rest of the June schedule.
Interestingly, when Orlando had the 767 service during Spring Break, there were also 767's to Tampa, Fort Myers and I believe Miami. From what I can see now, only Orlando is getting them in June and no other Florida cities.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yeah it’s always pretty bad but I’ve had good luck avoiding it if I leave early morning or late in the evening. I guess I should have considered that it was a Friday, but leaving at 8pm was still a disaster.

Thankfully I don’t have to drive it very often as I live on the other side of Orlando but it’s a nightmare for anyone who works or lives near there. A new study came out and stated I-4 is the deadliest highway in America which doesn’t surprise me given the # of unfamiliar tourist that drive it every day.
I-4 must be 3 lanes each way at that point. I would guess that Florida would be thinking about widening the freeway and also adding lanes. Another thought might be to build an entire new toll road between MCO and TPA - or at least part of the way. I do remember living in MCO a few decades ago and hated to have to use I-4 (especially on Friday late afternoon) on my way to visit relatives in northern suburbs of TPA. 90 miles door to door took well over 2 hours.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Interestingly, when Orlando had the 767 service during Spring Break, there were also 767's to Tampa, Fort Myers and I believe Miami. From what I can see now, only Orlando is getting them in June and no other Florida cities.
I believe FLL also got a few 767s each day. I wonder where the 767s are headed now. Doesn't look like much is going to be happening in Europe this summer so I don't know a lot of other places they'd be going.

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
I-4 must be 3 lanes each way at that point. I would guess that Florida would be thinking about widening the freeway and also adding lanes. Another thought might be to build an entire new toll road between MCO and TPA - or at least part of the way. I do remember living in MCO a few decades ago and hated to have to use I-4 (especially on Friday late afternoon) on my way to visit relatives in northern suburbs of TPA. 90 miles door to door took well over 2 hours.
Yes, it's 3x3 at that point. Brightline is supposed to eventually run to TPA from MCO but that's still probably a decent way out.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I believe FLL also got a few 767s each day. I wonder where the 767s are headed now. Doesn't look like much is going to be happening in Europe this summer so I don't know a lot of other places they'd be going.

Yes, it's 3x3 at that point. Brightline is supposed to eventually run to TPA from MCO but that's still probably a decent way out.
My ATL-HNL at the end of May went from A330 to 767, so that’s where one is going. Pretty disappointed in that switch
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United747
My ATL-HNL at the end of May went from A330 to 767, so that’s where one is going. Pretty disappointed in that switch
That's certainly a downgrade but then where does the A330 go? These planes have to be headed somewhere unless they're getting parked which I doubt.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's certainly a downgrade but then where does the A330 go? These planes have to be headed somewhere unless they're getting parked which I doubt.
JFK-FCO/CDG get A330's in late May. The 767 on ATL-HNL is limited to a handful of dates around Memorial Day. It goes back to 100% A330's on June 4th.
United747 and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
I-4 is at least 3 lanes each way (6 total). The issue at Champions Gate is there is so many people trying to merge onto the 3 lanes of I-4 in a short range with the US-27/Davenport, Champions Gate, SR-429, and the SR-417/Disney/Celebration interchange all within 4 miles of each other. I believe the master plan is to extend the tolled express lanes all the way to Tampa (they are already working on them in the Downtown Orlando area) along with space for Brightline high-speed rail but all this is probably years away at this point.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The 763/764 on ATL - DEN is a sneaky nice option right now. Those planes look virtually empty everyday in J/F and seem a breeze to clear if you are PM/DM (the 764s are especially attractive).

The combination of the 50%/75% bonuses and some really cheap RDU - DEN fares (presumably as a challenge against the RDU - DEN direct on UA) are shaping up for some really attractive MR opportunities ($270 for the RT or 20k miles — that’s down to 5.3 CPP territory with the bonuses which is just a bit above true MR territory but with the benefit of securing PM for 2022 plus a nice rollover toward 2023).
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Loran
As of yesterday's schedule change the morning JFK-SEA flight (#308, departs 0700) and return SEA-JFK (#327, departs 1145) are operated by the A330-900 for at least some days in June and July. I don't know how to do a daily equipment search efficiently, so I only checked some days. Unfortunately they also removed Delta One service from the outbound at least, and it's now marketed as domestic first.
Well that did not last long. Last week I did see that schedule change (757 replaced by A330-900neo) for SEA-JFK in early June. A week later, the A330 was swapped back for the 757. Delta One is also back. I actually see Delta One being sold on most flights. In the past couple years there was usually one flight sold as D1 per day, even if others had lie-flat seats. When I look at a few days in early June, it seems like when there is an aircraft with lie flats, they are selling it as D1.

On a related note, last week another of my flights for earlier June from SEA-HNL was switched from 757 to 767. A week later the 767 was switched to A330-900neo. So I am guessing that is where the plane is going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.