Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Well, as someone who decided to jump ship from DL to AA at this point last year, I can give you my comparison but to make it as fair as possible you should know the background my opinion is coming from.
Overall both airlines do some things well and most others just okay. My biggest reason for preferring AA is that they cater to the premium customer better than DL does. And while I'm sure they don't care about my loyalty any more than DL or any other company, they at least have faked that they do much better than DL thus far.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me on many points and that's entirely valid. The reality is everyone has differences in what they prefer in an airline experience and I hope this comparison could be of some value to you. All the best in your airline transition if that's the route you choose to take and feel free to ask me any questions if I can be of any help.
Excellent analysis. I agree with all points. I would add...

You didn't mention the SWUs for EXPs. If everything else were equal this would still leave DL in the dust.

You're probably measuring AA at its high watermark. Most flights under 1,000 miles are expected to lose F meal service as of 9/1 and it remains to be seen whether the quality will stay the same for the remaining meals. I think most multi-year EXPs would say domestic upgrades have become tougher. My wife is Plat (= DL Gold) this year and on all 3 flights that she was traveling alone and requested upgrades she ended up #1 on the list after F was filled. ("So what is Platinum supposed to get me exactly?" she said after the third such miss this morning.) Saver awards and intl J upgrades using SWUs have become tougher to score. AA's recent decisions about how new planes are configured have all come down on the side of smaller premium cabins and more cramped Y seating. And there are big questions about the future of inflight service and FF benefits as the integration with US proceeds. The folks now running the AA show don't give anyone the warm and fuzzies.

The websites are pretty comparable. AA.com tends toward functionality compared to DL's confusing layout and attempts to upsell at every turn. DL's reporting on your FF activity is vastly better. And I have to give a strong nod to DL's app. More info and functionality, although I like how you can see the upgrade list on any AA flight.

So the grass is still much greener at AA, but it's definitely browning at the edges.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So like the OP, I too recently moved from a non-hub city (DCA) to IAH. I too have switched most of my flying to UA. I too much prefer DL, but DL's hubs are simply out of the way when flying from Houston. I wish that DL's presence in Houston were stronger (I still think DL could add flights to HOU and gain a significant competitive advantage over other mainline carriers in a city that is economically vibrant, with many lucrative corporate contracts to be had, but then, what do I know).

Since starting with UA in April, I have reached Premier Silver and already have 10,000 in PQDs (the MQD equivalent). In other words, I have enough spend to be at UA's highest level but am only silver for now. UA should like the very expensive tickets I have been buying.

Here are some observations.

The good:

(1) E+ on UA is a larger percentage of the plane, so it is more likely to be available than EC is on DL.

(2) UA gives automatic upgrades to Y and B class fares where DL only does that for Y class fares. This is a very big benefit that is not discussed enough. For my flights, Y can be $1100 whereas B class is $800, and both are refundable and changeable. I think making B-class an upgrade-at-booking benefit is a very business-flyer-friendly move.

(3) On PMCO planes that have DirecTV, the IFE is very good. Lots and lots of channels. When you get a FC upgrade, that is great.

(4) The Goose Island 312 Urban Ale could be the best beer I've ever had on an airplane (at least since the old James Paige on NW, which was amazing).

The bad:

(1) DirecTV is not free in Y, and the $8 price is just a bit too steep for me to normally want to spring for it.

(2) On many flights, the FC cabin is much smaller, making upgrades less likely.

(3) I have been unimpressed by the food in UA first class thus far. Jim Beam Devil's Cut is good, but it's not Woodford.

(4) I am still shocked--shocked I say--that full-fare tickets on UA don't get free E+. My firm pays for it, so it was fine for me, but on DL M-class and above gets E+ for free. If the B-class upgrade issue on UA is business-flyer-friendly, then the lack of free E+ for expensive Y fares is the opposite.

(5) Morale is clearly low. I've had many conversations with flight crews, and their frustration with UA management is palpable. That said, I think it is clear they want to treat passengers well and simply find themselves limited by management.

(6) Operations have been mediocre, at best. I've had so, so many delays for mechanical issues in just 3 mos. It's terrible. This happens sometimes with new planes too.

(7) No Wifi, even on brand new 737s. I flew a brand new 737 to LA twice in April. It was a great plane. But it didn't have Wifi. They'll be installing it later. Why in the world would UA take delivery of a brand new plane that didn't have the Wifi already built into it?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Well, CO always had awful availability. Probably worse than DL....
This is simply not true.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:17 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
As another IAH-based flyer, an option that is always available is AA. It's about ~45 minutes up to DFW, and from there, pretty much everywhere. The Centurion lounge at DFW is great for layovers. I keep my status on DL, but the biggest drawback for trying to fly DL out of Texas is how poorly DL works with its partners. KL, AF, and KE all operate flights to IAH - but try to book awards on one of those flights, or book KE at all in any meaningful (read: qualifying) way - and it's impossible. No flight to SEA or LAX is another big issue. Since there's no clear winner, and UA customer service is awful, I split my travel.

Last edited by cfw; Jul 14, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:13 pm
jyh

Originally Posted by ceamus1
In February, I relocated from BOS to IAH, so I went from having a choice in airline (where I picked DL) to being hub-captive to United. I did a status match to 1K and have access to United Clubs through Amtrak (which I also miss). YTD, I have ~60K BIS miles with UA with another 20K coming by the end of the month. Here are my observations and comparisons to DL, in no particular order, for anyone who may be curious (bottom line – I miss DL):

Take JetBlu out of Hobby or Southwest. Either one beats DL and UA by miles.

ps. I really think your issues are bigger with Houston than just UA. Why did you leave BOS if it was perfect?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I too recently experienced Virgin Lounge in HKG. Why can't Delta do that?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
I feel compelled to chime in. It's been a while since I've posted.

When UA dropped CLE as a hub, I sent an email to Jeff Smisek about my displeasure. I was 1K for the last 3 years and spent a total of $600K in that time on UA flights between myself and my employees. That's not an insignificant amount of money for a company with 30 employees. No response. Just an automated reply.

I sent an email to Richard Anderson a week later saying that from now on, I'd be booking with Delta for me and my company exclusively. I got a response from HIM in less than 24hrs thanking me for my email, and he asked a few genuine follow-up questions. I responded and within about 2 days, I was made Platinum on Delta, and 3 of my employees Gold...without asking...just like that. Funny how loyalty works. (Loyalty is my business, so I can always appreciate someone that's doing it right.)

I normally have a connection in ATL, but when I weigh a few extra hours against the SERIOUSLY AMAZING customer service, it's an easy decision. When I call into customer service, they always answer in about 30sec, and greet me by name. The website is usable and far superior to UA.

Added bonus: The gate ATL gate for Delta is about 200' from the security check at CLE. I can park my car, and be at my gate within 5min. Almost every time.

The planes may be older, but they're almost always cleaner. They all have WiFi...even if it's not great, it's a good back-up. I've also never met a grumpy Delta FA. Again, I'd rather fly for a company that appreciates my business. Not one that feels like they're doing me a favor by letting me fly on their planes.

Since switching, I've flown about 80K on DL this year out of CLE. I couldn't be happier.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow, great response from RA. I've always liked him, so did many PMNW folks.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by youngdlplat
(2) UA gives automatic upgrades to Y and B class fares where DL only does that for Y class fares. This is a very big benefit that is not discussed enough. For my flights, Y can be $1100 whereas B class is $800, and both are refundable and changeable. I think making B-class an upgrade-at-booking benefit is a very business-flyer-friendly move.
+ on M fares if you're 1K/GS.

Originally Posted by youngdlplat

(4) I am still shocked--shocked I say--that full-fare tickets on UA don't get free E+. My firm pays for it, so it was fine for me, but on DL M-class and above gets E+ for free. If the B-class upgrade issue on UA is business-flyer-friendly, then the lack of free E+ for expensive Y fares is the opposite.
This is one rule I too am still shocked has survived until today. When it first came out years ago on pmUA, I figured it would be wiped away quickly... yet it survives today.

Originally Posted by Mr. Doug
The website is usable and far superior to UA.
You're still in your honeymoon phase with DL - don't let the bling fool you. UA's website ain't pretty, but on balance, it is more functional that DL's.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Delta's international J seats are aging and the comfort is starting to deteriorate drastically. The only planes I enjoy flying in now for more that 6 or so hours are the 330 and 747.

Once AA finished their fleet refurbishment and aircraft turnover it's going to be tough for me to stick with Delta.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Delta's international J seats are aging and the comfort is starting to deteriorate drastically. The only planes I enjoy flying in now for more that 6 or so hours are the 330 and 747.

Once AA finished their fleet refurbishment and aircraft turnover it's going to be tough for me to stick with Delta.
You do realize that AA will basically be using the same seats as DL for J, right? Maybe DL needs to refresh some seat cushions, but the underlying product is pretty competitive.

About the only seats DL probably should look at replacing would be the 777s, if only to align the product with the A330s and 747s.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Deadtail

You do realize that AA will basically be using the same seats as DL for J, right? Maybe DL needs to refresh some seat cushions, but the underlying product is pretty competitive.

About the only seats DL probably should look at replacing would be the 777s, if only to align the product with the A330s and 747s.
Agree with this. I didn't appreciate the quality of Delta's international BE seats until I started looking into other carriers. Delta's widebody international BE seats actually rival the best business class seats in the world.

744/A332/A333: These Zodiac/Sicma Cirrus seats match the seats that CX uses for most of its long-haul J cabins and are on par with the B/E Super Diamond seats used on Qatar's 787s and A380s. AA and AF are just now catching up by installing the Cirrus seats on the newest iterations of their flagship intercontinental aircraft.
763/764: These Zodiac/Contour/Thompson Vantage seats match JL's latest 767 Sky Suite and are on par with the Sogerma Solstys seats used in J on Etihad's 777s/A340s, Emirates' A380s, Thai's A380s, and Asiana's A380s.
772/77L: These Zodiac/Contour Solar Eclipse seats match what CX uses on its 747s and what Etihad will use on its recently announced 777 service to SFO (leased from Jet Airways). Even though they are the most dated of Delta's widebody international BE seats, they are still far superior to VS's latest Upper Class Dream Suite.

All of these seats are superior to the B/E Parallel Diamond seats on LH and KL, as well as the the yin-yang seats on BA. AA J may catch up to DL J eventually, but it will take several years of refurbishments and retirements.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lamont2718
AA J may catch up to DL J eventually, but it will take several years of refurbishments and retirements.
All widebody ski-slopes should be gone from intercontinental flying by the end of 2015.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Mr. Doug

The website is usable and far superior to UA.
Booked any award travel yet?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM

My point is that the product is beat and uncomfortable, and has been this way for some time. The seat maintenance cycles at Delta are much longer than they should be. More often than not on a 777 the seat cushions are hard, or when reclined flat the sections don't line up and one section will be higher than another. Delta's fares seem to be as high or higher than most other airlines, at least the dates I travel. It seems they could do much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.