FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:03 pm
lamont2718

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Delta's international J seats are aging and the comfort is starting to deteriorate drastically. The only planes I enjoy flying in now for more that 6 or so hours are the 330 and 747.

Once AA finished their fleet refurbishment and aircraft turnover it's going to be tough for me to stick with Delta.
You do realize that AA will basically be using the same seats as DL for J, right? Maybe DL needs to refresh some seat cushions, but the underlying product is pretty competitive.

About the only seats DL probably should look at replacing would be the 777s, if only to align the product with the A330s and 747s.
Agree with this. I didn't appreciate the quality of Delta's international BE seats until I started looking into other carriers. Delta's widebody international BE seats actually rival the best business class seats in the world.

744/A332/A333: These Zodiac/Sicma Cirrus seats match the seats that CX uses for most of its long-haul J cabins and are on par with the B/E Super Diamond seats used on Qatar's 787s and A380s. AA and AF are just now catching up by installing the Cirrus seats on the newest iterations of their flagship intercontinental aircraft.
763/764: These Zodiac/Contour/Thompson Vantage seats match JL's latest 767 Sky Suite and are on par with the Sogerma Solstys seats used in J on Etihad's 777s/A340s, Emirates' A380s, Thai's A380s, and Asiana's A380s.
772/77L: These Zodiac/Contour Solar Eclipse seats match what CX uses on its 747s and what Etihad will use on its recently announced 777 service to SFO (leased from Jet Airways). Even though they are the most dated of Delta's widebody international BE seats, they are still far superior to VS's latest Upper Class Dream Suite.

All of these seats are superior to the B/E Parallel Diamond seats on LH and KL, as well as the the yin-yang seats on BA. AA J may catch up to DL J eventually, but it will take several years of refurbishments and retirements.