Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Can you refund RUCs after they are cleared?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
there have been anecdotal reports (involving irrops, IIRC) but in general I wouldn't count on it.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Can you refund RUCs after they are cleared?
Worth a call, and maybe even a HUCA or two, but once they're successfully applied it's unlikely to get them back. I missed a GUC for an ATL-LHR flight, but then the plan cancelled due to mechanical issue, and DL moved me to the last seat on the only other flight that night which was in D1. The agent tried to not pull the cert because of the IRROP, but the system gave him no choice.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
Something is strange. Two weeks ago, I cleared a RUC after it said "waitlisted" for a couple of weeks prior to clearing. Now using another RUC, and there is no "waitlist" indicia nor is there a duplicate seat map. Diamond line swears up and down that it is correctly applied. Skeptical.
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
There are clearly coding issues still in play with RUC's. I applied one for a trip from STL to SJU in mid January. It was waitlisted. The typical "Upgrade Status: Upgrade Waitlisted" wasn't showing up on either leg initially. I called twice, and both times they said it was showing up as waitlisted for both legs. Fast forward several days when I checked again. The STL to ATL leg is now showing waitlisted while the ATL to SJU leg continues to show nothing. Call DM line again. Nice lady says the coding on the ATL to SJU flight is coded as some sort of "emergency change" coding rather than what she normally sees for RUC's. She said it was not coded correctly. She puts me on hold for quite a while to work on it. She comes back saying that it's now coded correctly, but logging out and back in still shows no message about waitlist.

The takeaway is that even on this most recent call there is the prospect of incorrect coding as she said was the case. I'll be calling again shortly.
Have you taken these flights yet? What ended up happening with the UG list/upgrades?

I just applied an RUC to an ATL-SFO flight next month and two agents swore it's waitlisted correctly, but I see neither an "Upgrade Waitlisted" nor a double seatmap as I have in the past. Though it's been a few months since the last time I used a cert.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Triple check with the Twitter team. They are the only people I’ve ever see have 100% coding accuracy when doing a RUC. My luck with phone agents is around 50-60%
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:02 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
A week ago I applied a RUC and observed:
  • No duplicate seat map
  • No "upgrade waitlisted" mention anywhere
  • Basically, everything appearing to be as if only a complimentary upgrade was requested
I called in and asked about this and the second agent assured me it was applied correctly.

2 days later (T-10 days of the flight), I logged in and saw a duplicate seat map and was unable to change my seat on the original seat map. I called in and indeed this was an indication that the certificate had cleared, at which time I applied it to the shorter leg and asked for the reissue to OY.
ajggiant and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Triple check with the Twitter team. They are the only people I’ve ever see have 100% coding accuracy when doing a RUC. My luck with phone agents is around 50-60%
Curious. The twitter team lately has been an absolute disaster for me....including the last time I tried to apply a RUC. YMMV I guess.

Originally Posted by kpbadger
A week ago I applied a RUC and observed:
  • No duplicate seat map
  • No "upgrade waitlisted" mention anywhere
  • Basically, everything appearing to be as if only a complimentary upgrade was requested
I called in and asked about this and the second agent assured me it was applied correctly.

2 days later (T-10 days of the flight), I logged in and saw a duplicate seat map and was unable to change my seat on the original seat map. I called in and indeed this was an indication that the certificate had cleared, at which time I applied it to the shorter leg and asked for the reissue to OY.
Well...that's fun. I'll probably call and check again in a few days (flight is in early Feb). Gotta love good ol' DL consistency...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL
How hard is SDCing with a RUC? I'm currently ticketed on a 757-200 but there is a 767-400 on the same route (SFO-JFK) which looks like it'll be much easier to upgrade on. I'm in V which might make it harder to SDC as well.

Should I bite the $200 change fee and reticket myself onto the 767 flights in advance? Would prefer avoiding that but would definitely like D1...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Curious. The twitter team lately has been an absolute disaster for me....including the last time I tried to apply a RUC. YMMV I guess.
Same. Last August I had an RUC waitlisted, I thought, via Twitter, only to be told later when I called in to double check availability that it had been coded incorrectly and "you never would have cleared if you hadn't called in to check".
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Global Entry, TSA Pre√
Do you still get MQMs/MQDs for RUC upgrade?

Rookie Platinum RUC question: when using a RUC, will I still get MQM / MQD credit for the base ticket purchased or does the upgrade void the mileage credit?

I'm trying to plan out my 2019 trips so that I can make Platinum again next year (with limited travel opportunities) and I want to make sure two of my planned trips that I am using RUCs on will count towards my MQD / MQM requirements even if upgraded. I had an experience last year where I did not get the expected MQM / MQD credit for my purchased base ticket after using miles to upgrade on a Virgin Atlantic flight, so I thought I better ask.

I requested R/T RUC upgrades today for JFK-SLC in August and JFK-AUS in November (all non-stops). Immediately cleared for outbound JFK-SLC, but waitlisted for other three legs despite planes still being empty. They just haven't released upgrade seats yet. I know there is a strategy of waiting to apply until after I see if I get a complimentary upgrade, but I am traveling so little this year I'd rather just have the satisfaction of knowing I'm upgraded early and that the certs are not wasted. Thanks.

Last edited by TWAnonrev; Jan 15, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TWAnonrev
Rookie Platinum RUC question: when using a RUC certificate, will I still get MQM / MQD credit for the base ticket purchased or does the upgrade void the mileage credit?

I'm trying to plan out my 2019 trips so that I can make Platinum again next year (with limited travel opportunities) and I want to make sure two of my planned trips that I am using RUCs on will count towards my MQD / MQM requirements even if upgraded. I had an experience last year where I did not get the expected MQM / MQD credit for my purchased base ticket after using miles to upgrade on a Virgin Atlantic flight, so I thought I better ask.

I requested R/T RUC upgrades today for JFK-SLC in August and JFK-AUS in November (all non-stops). Immediately cleared for outbound JFK-SLC, but waitlisted for other three legs despite planes still being empty. They just haven't released upgrade seats yet. I know there is a strategy of waiting to apply until after I see if I get a complimentary upgrade, but I am traveling so little this year I'd rather just have the satisfaction of knowing I'm upgraded early and that the certs are not wasted. Thanks.
Yes, you will earn MQMs and MQDs as if you flew coach... as long as it’s a revenue ticket and not an award ticket.

Partner tickets are funky... a miles upgrade on a partner may put your ticket into a weird fare bucket. I did a paid upgrade on Aeromexico which put me into a non fare earning bucket. Only after contacting DL did they give me credit on the original fare
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Global Entry, TSA Pre√

Yes, you will earn MQMs and MQDs as if you flew coach... as long as it’s a revenue ticket and not an award ticket.

Partner tickets are funky... a miles upgrade on a partner may put your ticket into a weird fare bucket. I did a paid upgrade on Aeromexico which put me into a non fare earning bucket. Only after contacting DL did they give me credit on the original fare
Thanks for the verification and the quick reply!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
How hard is SDCing with a RUC? I'm currently ticketed on a 757-200 but there is a 767-400 on the same route (SFO-JFK) which looks like it'll be much easier to upgrade on. I'm in V which might make it harder to SDC as well.

Should I bite the $200 change fee and reticket myself onto the 767 flights in advance? Would prefer avoiding that but would definitely like D1...
You mean SDCing while an RUC is waitlisted? Not really all that different from normal SDC, though you'll need to make sure your waitlist request carries over. The V fare might be a bigger issue.

What day of the week/flight time are you on for SFO-JFK? I've never not had an RUC clear on that route when I flew it regularly, though admittedly I always avoided peak times (Sunday/Thursday night redeyes SFO-JFK, Monday morning/Thursday evening JFK-SFO).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWAnonrev
Rookie Platinum RUC question: when using a RUC, will I still get MQM / MQD credit for the base ticket purchased or does the upgrade void the mileage credit?

No problem on the RUCs on DL metal.

For those VS flights, you should contact DL and/or submit a mileage credit request, as you should have gotten full credit for those flights based on your original coach (or PE) fare. It's a known issue. Upgrading 006-ticketed, DL-marketed, VS-operated flights with DL miles results in the flights being reticketed as VS-marketed and in G class, which is the VS award bucket. So the automated systems will see an award ticket and credit nothing. However, you are fully eligible to earn miles for the tickets you paid for...they just have to be forced through after the fact.

I have to go through this process with every single VS flight that I UG using DL miles. It's a complete PITA...but it's usually also 10k-12k MQM that I'm getting shorted on.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: delta PM, united G, marriott titanium, hilton diamond, avis preferred, hertz pres circle
Needed to fly PIT-LAX tomorrow. called elite desk and they had three flights where i could apply my final RP upgrade. chose PIT-JFK-LAX in the morning since the transcon leg was 767-400. other options were PIT-DTW-LAX and PIT-MSP-LAX on single aisle planes. All four of my RP certs for 2018 cleared early however i know to avoid Atlanta.
jmgriffin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.