Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Let me put it this way, I don't know for sure whether they clear in advance - but I posted my last two flights on that route in the "Upgrade Yay I got it thread" the exact number and my spot and my wife's spots on the list. Going from memory, I want to say at least 12, and as many as 15 or 16 upgrades cleared at the gate. We were definitely in the top four or five on the list and I am DM, and so no one behind me was using an RUC; though it may be the ones ahead of me didn't either?

As I think out loud here, it is a Delta One flight and complimentary upgrades only clear at T-24, and so maybe no one was using a Cert, and that's why no one cleared in advance? I suppose that's possible.

Until I thought of that, I was just thinking "Hey I was #4 of 15 seats, and didn't clear in advance (without cert), and so they just don't clear. But, also that being said, they could have cleared people at T-24 rather than waiting 20 minutes before boarding to clear and they didn't- so who knows.

Just keep in mind the long hold times when you decide whether or not to apply a cert and last minute upgrade offers, etc.
Coming back full circle on this, I kept the RUCs in place. At the end of the day I figure I'd rather burn and almost guarantee a seat than take away and not have a chance.

12 seats were open up until this morning, where it dwindled to 6. We are still more than 24 hours out, so no normal upgrades clearing yet. I logged into the DL website to see that my RUCs cleared, so I was part of the 6 cleared before checkin time starts to even build an upgrade list. I can mostly assume the likely scenario here is there were up to 6 RUC/GUCs used including mine, and I feel pretty good about using the RUCs here. As a Platinum I have pretty good luck on upgrades, but I don't think I'd cut it for myself and my wife with only 8 left if I had pulled my RUC's from the trip. I imagine there would've been quite a few DMs ahead of me.

Anyways, a good use of RUCs in my book.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
FWIW, I have had several problems with RUCs being properly applied recently. On these trips, we each applied RUCs (wife and I have same status), and I could see the “upgrade requested” (or whatever it says) in the reservations. (I know it’s not always there, but in these cases it was.). At 24 hours, each time, I checked and we were not on the upgrade list. I called and after the agent got the support desk involved, it turns out there was one minor thing that the agents didn’t do (was not told what the was), and thus if I hadn’t called we would have never been put on the upgrade list (never mind that they also would not have cleared in advance had inventory been available).

These we’re normal revue tickets, not in E class, etc. it’s happened three times now. So if you don’t see yourself on the upgrade list at 24 hours, call. I also asked if this meant that my time of upgrade request was when they fixed it, and while they wouldn’t give me an answer, they pretty much said yes.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Nov 23, 2021 at 3:27 pm Reason: Should be “revenue” tickets but can’t seem to edit
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experience on JFK - SFO?

Heading to SFO in January (6-8 weeks from now, finalizing dates as we speak) and would prefer to go RDU - JFK - SFO for the D1 (even if it's just a 763). Cabin looks wide open on all possible days (no more than 2 seats booked on any flight) but of course no RUC space available at booking. The alternative is to confirm F on RDU - LAX / SLC / MSP / DTW - SFO but none of those routes are offering a widebody option.

I just have no concept of how busy mid-day Monday flights on are right now on JFK - SFO and whether it's a gamble that is likely to pay off or if I'm better off just confirming F and looking to do an SDC or just have confirmed F
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Once a ticket with an RUC shows "F", even if it hasn't been re-issued yet; does that mean F is essentially confirmed. I keep having reps apply the same RUC to multiple flights; and those RUCs are CONFIRMED; not waitlisted... thoughts? I had a rep spend 2 hours untangling various duplicated RUCs and depleting my mighty bank... but I am sure cert 1234 is already applied on a flight; and when I called in to apply a cert the lady said she was applying 1234 - and they both show F on the app, but neither has been reissued yet.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Once a ticket with an RUC shows "F", even if it hasn't been re-issued yet; does that mean F is essentially confirmed. I keep having reps apply the same RUC to multiple flights; and those RUCs are CONFIRMED; not waitlisted... thoughts? I had a rep spend 2 hours untangling various duplicated RUCs and depleting my mighty bank... but I am sure cert 1234 is already applied on a flight; and when I called in to apply a cert the lady said she was applying 1234 - and they both show F on the app, but neither has been reissued yet.
From what I have gleaned in various conversations with agents who seemed like they knew what they were talking about (MN accent etc), any cert # associated with a waitlist is just a suggestion at most, and if you clear a waitlist that was requested with a cert that has in the meantime already used and reissued for a different itinerary, then the person and/or process that does the reissue will simply pull another eligible cert if you have one (supposedly paying attention to expiration date too but if humans are involved then they could be lazy or make a mistake) however this is essentially hearsay so make of it whatever you will.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Zorak
From what I have gleaned in various conversations with agents who seemed like they knew what they were talking about (MN accent etc), any cert # associated with a waitlist is just a suggestion at most, and if you clear a waitlist that was requested with a cert that has in the meantime already used and reissued for a different itinerary, then the person and/or process that does the reissue will simply pull another eligible cert if you have one (supposedly paying attention to expiration date too but if humans are involved then they could be lazy or make a mistake) however this is essentially hearsay so make of it whatever you will.
thanks - but my situation is different unless I misread - I cleared from JFK to XXX (at booking with RUC) a couple months ago; and then today I cleared from XXX to JFK (at booking) with the same RUC. So no waitlisting

thanks
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
thanks - but my situation is different unless I misread - I cleared from JFK to XXX (at booking with RUC) a couple months ago; and then today I cleared from XXX to JFK (at booking) with the same RUC. So no waitlisting

thanks
Just to be sure I understand, both trips (1) have already cleared (2) have NOT been reissued (3) are in the future. Is that correct?

If so the situation is slightly different but still essentially the same. Eventually one of them will get reissued first. If it uses cert 006xxxxxx1234, then that cert will be marked closed. When the 2nd ticket gets reissued, even if the comments on the ticket say to pull 1234, when they go to do it they will find that it is already closed. They will then look for another RUC that is open and pull that one instead.

Again, all under the umbrella of "this is what I believe to be true but have no inside knowledge or confirmation".
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Just to be sure I understand, both trips (1) have already cleared (2) have NOT been reissued (3) are in the future. Is that correct?

If so the situation is slightly different but still essentially the same. Eventually one of them will get reissued first. If it uses cert 006xxxxxx1234, then that cert will be marked closed. When the 2nd ticket gets reissued, even if the comments on the ticket say to pull 1234, when they go to do it they will find that it is already closed. They will then look for another RUC that is open and pull that one instead.

Again, all under the umbrella of "this is what I believe to be true but have no inside knowledge or confirmation".
yup exactly!! Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Hey, I have a trip booked HNL-LAX-JFK-JAX, can I waitlist the cert on both the hnl-lax and lax-jfk legs (at the same time) but not on the jfk-jax? I would be ok with using the cert if either of the first two legs cleared. But obviously not the last one by itself.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
That shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the agent when you call that if you can't immediately clear either of the first two legs, you don't want to apply the RUC to the JFK-JAX leg and they should be able to honor that request.
AntimonyER likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heading to SFO/SJC in January (see earlier post) -- my final destination is Palo Alto/Mountain View area so doesn't really matter which one I fly into

What would folks here do:

1) RDU - JFK - SFO: RUC waitlist but right now only 3 D1 seats are taken and we are within 5 weeks of departure but it's the crappy 763

2) RDU - JFK - SEA - SJC: can confirm RUC the whole way and JFK - SEA is currently showing as a D1 flight on the A339 which would be great and SEA - SJC is on an E175 with seats open on the "A" side

Going via SEA adds about 70 minutes to the total flight time but I'm staying at hotel closer to SJC (returning SJC - SLC - RDU because that's the only pathway home that's confirmable at booking) so in reality total travel time is closer to about a 30 minute difference (same RDU - JFK flight to kick things off)
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Duke787
Heading to SFO/SJC in January (see earlier post) -- my final destination is Palo Alto/Mountain View area so doesn't really matter which one I fly into

What would folks here do:

1) RDU - JFK - SFO: RUC waitlist but right now only 3 D1 seats are taken and we are within 5 weeks of departure but it's the crappy 763

2) RDU - JFK - SEA - SJC: can confirm RUC the whole way and JFK - SEA is currently showing as a D1 flight on the A339 which would be great and SEA - SJC is on an E175 with seats open on the "A" side

Going via SEA adds about 70 minutes to the total flight time but I'm staying at hotel closer to SJC (returning SJC - SLC - RDU because that's the only pathway home that's confirmable at booking) so in reality total travel time is closer to about a 30 minute difference (same RDU - JFK flight to kick things off)
If it were me, I'd do option 2. The extra stop is a bummer, but it sounds like the increase in travel time is negligible. My reasoning would be a much better D1 seat and obviously confirming the entire trip now versus waitlisting is a plus. You'd probably clear on the other flight eventually, but this way you don't have to stress.

My GF, however, would rather fly in C+ than adding a stop to a FC itinerary. I tend to enjoy the travel experience and exploring new airports, but she just wants to get from A to B as fast as possible lol.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:53 am

How close to flight time can I withdraw a RUC and how close can they be applied?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
If it were me, I'd do option 2. The extra stop is a bummer, but it sounds like the increase in travel time is negligible. My reasoning would be a much better D1 seat and obviously confirming the entire trip now versus waitlisting is a plus. You'd probably clear on the other flight eventually, but this way you don't have to stress.

My GF, however, would rather fly in C+ than adding a stop to a FC itinerary. I tend to enjoy the travel experience and exploring new airports, but she just wants to get from A to B as fast as possible lol.
Yeah I think that makes sense (#2) although looking at the JFK - SFO seat map there is no way an RUC wouldn't clear (this flight is 6 weeks out)

JFK - SEA is equally wide open, honestly either probably clears without an RUC but might as well use them

Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yeah I think that makes sense (#2) although looking at the JFK - SFO seat map there is no way an RUC wouldn't clear (this flight is 6 weeks out)

JFK - SEA is equally wide open, honestly either probably clears without an RUC but might as well use them

Seat map being empty means nothing. Passengers don't always pick seats.. Also anything ex-JFK can easily fill up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.