Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat on 737-900ER?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:34 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I've flown quite a few 739s this year and while they aren't my favorite, they aren't horrible. I'm not a particularly small person (not large either). It does take quite a while to get on and off the plane but I attribute that to people just not knowing what they are doing.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
19C is your best bet.

21BC/DE definitely have a bit of extra room. But it is much less than 19C. I believe 19C is about 37-38" of pitch. 21BC/DE probably have 32-33" of pitch (so not quite C+) - although no one can recline into you which is a plus. 21A/F obviously have nearly unlimited pitch.

Row 20 should obviously be avoided; it has less pitch than most standard seats and the seat itself is narrower.
It's been a while since I've been on a 737-900 (have been able to avoid it thankfully). Is the consensus still that 19 aisles are better than C+ aisles (flying SLC-RDU-SLC)? Don't care too much about drinks or snacks.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by TTT
It's been a while since I've been on a 737-900 (have been able to avoid it thankfully). Is the consensus still that 19 aisles are better than C+ aisles (flying SLC-RDU-SLC)? Don't care too much about drinks or snacks.
Other than the drinks/snacks, some would critique the fact that row 19 does not recline but I believe it is worth it for the extra space (and inability for the person ahead of you to recline in front of you). Otherwise yes it is superior in terms of legroom. Other benefit is not having to fight for OHB space even if you board at the end of the very end of First/Diamond (or even the end of C+/SKY).
Duke787 and bloc0102 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TTT
Another benefit is the chance of the middle seat being empty. Because the whole row is considered a preferred seat, GAs fill them last with standbys and BE flyers.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:01 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Other than the drinks/snacks, some would critique the fact that row 19 does not recline but I believe it is worth it for the extra space (and inability for the person ahead of you to recline in front of you). Otherwise yes it is superior in terms of legroom. Other benefit is not having to fight for OHB space even if you board at the end of the very end of First/Diamond (or even the end of C+/SKY).
Originally Posted by eneq
Another benefit is the chance of the middle seat being empty. Because the whole row is considered a preferred seat, GAs fill them last with standbys and BE flyers.
Great - thank you both!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Situation
10D is a closet, so I would pick 10A. Assuming the option was 11D, I would still pick 10A as 11D has restricted legroom and is very uncomfortable. 10A has lots of legroom and is actually a good seat. If it turns out you are on a 738 rather than a 739, which has 10A and 10D, they are interchangeable in terms of legroom (lots of it!) and so the choice comes down to if you prefer aisle or window.
For the record, I was just on a 737-900ER and it looked like the closet was only in front of 11E and 11F. Seat 11D in C+ appeared to have infinite legroom. The closet really just takes the space of 10E and 10F, although this is enough to restrict recline in both 5C and 5D. IIRC the closet door opens to permit easier access from the front (FC cabin) area, so when the closet door is open, the legroom in 11D would be only an inch or so more than 11E and 11F, but this shouldn't affect very much of the flight.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the record, I was just on a 737-900ER and it looked like the closet was only in front of 11E and 11F. Seat 11D in C+ appeared to have infinite legroom. The closet really just takes the space of 10E and 10F, although this is enough to restrict recline in both 5C and 5D. IIRC the closet door opens to permit easier access from the front (FC cabin) area, so when the closet door is open, the legroom in 11D would be only an inch or so more than 11E and 11F, but this shouldn't affect very much of the flight.
I wouldn't entirely agree with that.. I agree that it is theoretically possible to pivot your body in such a way that both legs can extend diagonally away from the bulkhead, but this is not a natural position and would result with your left foot half in the aisle and your waist potentially contorted up against the enclosed seat sides. My experience sitting there is "left foot unlimited legroom [except for the 5 minutes per flight the closet is open] and right foot seriously constrained legroom." So 11D is way better than 11E/F but not as good as 10A/B/C.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:41 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I've seen a few posts in this thread suggesting that 5C/D have limited recline, but I'm not actually sure if that's true. They definitely have *some* recline, and none of the F seats on this aircraft have a lot of recline, so I'm not sure if 5C/D are actually any worse than any other seats? And they certainly have minor advantages of no one poking an IFE screen on the back of your seat, and no guilt for reclining into someone else's space.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
Why do I see FTers talk about the size of the FC galley on the 739er fleet? Why should we care? Clearly it is large enough to support the catering needs of FC. I have flown the 739 in FC several times and it's not like anything has ever run out. I also have never thought that service speed seem impacted compared to other aircraft types. It looks a little cramped up there, but that is how 737s are because of the cart position closest to the cockpit extends aft. Definitely less roomy than say an A319 or A320...but it is what it is on the 737s.

It does appear that compared to the 737-700 and 737-800, that Delta went with only a half size cart galley behind door 1R on the 739 instead of a full size cart galley. But I have counted the carts while up there waiting for the lav, and there are 3 half size carts forward of the door and 3 half size carts behind the door. So the equivalent of 3 full size carts. The MD88, MD90 and 717 only have 5 full size carts for the whole plane. So while there is less storage than a 737 or 738, it seems like Delta decided that there was too much on the 737-700 and 737-800, so they went with a half cart galley. But like I said, nothing has ever run out for me. Have people on here run out of stuff?

It just seems weird to me that our assessment of the plane would ever involve commenting that a galley is small....
FA viewpoint - the galley size does impact service, i am less efficient on that plane than on the 319/320/757 because the compact galley and half size carts make certain aspects take longer just by how it’s laid out. I make it work, but damn if it doesn’t suck. You may not notice it from the seat, but it is an issue for that plane, if you don’t notice I’m pleased that we pull it off in a way that doesn’t impact you in a noticeable way. But a real galley would provide the base for better service.

also point of correction, the 900 has two half size forward of the door (the third is a trash cart) and three aft of the door. For a total of 2.5 regular carts of Storage toward. The 90s have 5 carts worth of storage in the galley, 3 are dedicated to FC.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by Flyer0889; Feb 21, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:39 am
GRG

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by bgriff
I've seen a few posts in this thread suggesting that 5C/D have limited recline, but I'm not actually sure if that's true. They definitely have *some* recline, and none of the F seats on this aircraft have a lot of recline, so I'm not sure if 5C/D are actually any worse than any other seats? And they certainly have minor advantages of no one poking an IFE screen on the back of your seat, and no guilt for reclining into someone else's space.

Any thoughts?
I've not sat in 5C/D yet, but I actually booked 5D on a couple of upcoming 739 flights to try it out. I don't care about seat recline, but it seems like it would offer a bit of privacy compared to other seats, plus the advantages you mention. QFS Aviation has a trip report video on YouTube in 5D on a 739, looks like a good seat to me.

bgriff likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have a short flight coming up on a 737-900ER and the seat choices seem bad. I'm traveling along, not particularly tall, don't care about recline, do want to use the video screen, and normally always pick aisle seats when possible. C+ only had mddle seats left.

I'm looking at 20E as I like the idea of having a window and only one seatmate, plus access to the video screen. Otherwise, the first available aisle seat is row 27. Suggestions other than stalking the seat map and setting EF alerts?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:24 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Why is the air flow so terrible in these planes? I get motion sickness if I don't have pretty forceful air blowing on my face and the only time it get's really bad is on 739s. While things certainly could be worse I definitely feel some dread when I book a flight on these planes. As much as I love Boeing (Go USA, right?) I definitely prefer the A321s in almost every way.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have a short flight coming up on a 737-900ER and the seat choices seem bad. I'm traveling along, not particularly tall, don't care about recline, do want to use the video screen, and normally always pick aisle seats when possible. C+ only had mddle seats left.

I'm looking at 20E as I like the idea of having a window and only one seatmate, plus access to the video screen. Otherwise, the first available aisle seat is row 27. Suggestions other than stalking the seat map and setting EF alerts?
Avoid 20E at all costs. You're way better off in row 27. 20E has 30" pitch (not 31") and the seat is physically more narrow than regular seats (probably an inch less than regular seats). I sat in that seat once and it was a terrible experience (and I regularly sit in 36C).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:20 am

Avoid 20E at all costs. You're way better off in row 27. 20E has 30" pitch (not 31") and the seat is physically more narrow than regular seats (probably an inch less than regular seats). I sat in that seat once and it was a terrible experience (and I regularly sit in 36C).
I conditionally disagree about the seat itself. I’m average height/weight, and the pitch/width work for me. Also if the window behind you doesn’t have an under seat bag, you get bonus storage space, control of the window and at least one armrest. you do lose the wall, but only have one person to inconvenience if you have to get up. I would generally choose an aisle further back, but if middles are my option, I’d go with that in a heartbeat. Also you get one bonus that aisle seats don’t have, if your seatmate is elbow happy, you have plenty of space to lean to the window and won’t get jostled by every cart/passenger that goes by.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
The FAs on one of my recent flights were .....ing about the fun sized carts. One of the drawers wasn't fitting right; the FA basically unpacked the whole thing in the middle of the aisle and fought with it for 5 minutes before she got the problematic drawer to fit in like it was supposed to. And they apologized for the fun sized bathroom. And they apologized for the blaring commercials that play after takeoff. They seemed to hate everything about the plane (which is not to be construed as them providing bad service). They did the best they could.
Definitely contains the worst seat on the airplane (perhaps the worst in the mainline fleet).

javabytes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.