Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat on 737-900ER?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
I find it very cramped in all regards. The lack of screen tilt is quite obnoxious - and not something DL was surprised would be an issue (all other PTV equipped birds have tilt screens). One of the reps posted it was about safety certification, which, fine. BUT - instead of getting it fixed and doing it right for customer experience, they decided to not worry about it and fly the bird.

The FC pitch feels very tight to me compared to other birds. Seats are quite firm (maybe just breaking in) and your backside will likely go numb shortly after take off. The FAs I've talked to have not been fans of working the galleys. I am not a fan of the lavs on these birds either. The sink is VERY tiny and hard to not walk out with water on your pants.

So, "best seat" is in reality the "least worst seat" and I haven't found it yet. None have been outstanding. I always take aisle so I at least feel a tiny bit less constrained. The OH bins above row 1 are smaller than the rest, so that is a factor for many based on how you travel.

Last edited by OnTheSlopes; Feb 14, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I've seen this mentioned a few times. What makes 5AB better than, say, 2AB? I prefer windows as well, especially when they line up well with the row.

We are in 2A and B right now, but would switch if they are better.
5A/B have only the soft hanging curtain behind them. That gives you the "guilt free" recline option and ensures that no one is going to be behind you kicking/kneeing your seat or using it as a pull up bar when getting up.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
Why is this plane so bad? Did they cram in more seats? I'm flying it SFO to ATL and back in a few months.
Basically, yes. They tried to cram a 757 amount of seats into the considerably smaller 739 and the end product is what the DL 739s look like. Very little space in any area of the aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
5A/B have only the soft hanging curtain behind them. That gives you the "guilt free" recline option and ensures that no one is going to be behind you kicking/kneeing your seat or using it as a pull up bar when getting up.
Why is the soft curtain kick proof?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
The lack of screen tilt is quite obnoxious - and not something DL was surprised would be an issue (all other PTV equipped birds have tilt screens). One of the reps posted it was about safety certification, which, fine. BUT - instead of getting it fixed and doing it right for customer experience, they decided to not worry about it and fly the bird.
The supplier is working on the screen tilt issue, and it sounds like Delta intends to adopt the fix once approved. Do you expect Delta to ground the 739 fleet (while continuing to make loan payments) until the screens can tilt?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MS02113
The supplier is working on the screen tilt issue, and it sounds like Delta intends to adopt the fix once approved. Do you expect Delta to ground the 739 fleet (while continuing to make loan payments) until the screens can tilt?
I know, I read that. I feel - right or wrong - that this was a foreseeable issue that could have been addressed in the planning stages. No, I don't expect DL to ground the whole fleet, but in my line of work deadlines matter and the more issues you can predict and solve in advance the better for all. That's all I'm trying to say.

I very much like the screens - responsive to touch, large, the USB and headphone ports are very easy to find. But, as soon as the person in front reclines it's a pain.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:53 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cmd320
Basically, yes. They tried to cram a 757 amount of seats into the considerably smaller 739 and the end product is what the DL 739s look like. Very little space in any area of the aircraft.
This is exactly the problem; a fuselage 17 feet shorter than the 757 with about the same seating capacity. You needn't be a math genius to figure out that something has to give in that equation.

Boeing is reportedly considering a 757 replacement which can't come soon enough in my opinion. http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...e-lamented-757

Frankly, I don't know what brilliance led Boeing to shut down production in the first place. The 757 may well be one of the most versatile airplanes ever built.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is the soft curtain kick proof?
Because it's made of kryptonium mesh and electrified.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Because it's made of kryptonium mesh and electrified.
No alligators? How disappointing! They were so cute and fun to feed.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No alligators? How disappointing! They were so cute and fun to feed.
I think they retired them all to Jamaica, and are on-call in the event a remake of Live and Let Die is made.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Best economy seat.

No good seat on this "bird".
What you think of 21A or 21F. no seat in 20 A-F... something bad about this seat ???
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
No good seat on this "bird".
What you think of 21A or 21F. no seat in 20 A-F... something bad about this seat ???
The one that stands out in my mind is the IFE. Instead of a screen mounted on an arm that extends from the armrest, the screen is mounted on 19A and 19F. It's bad enough viewing a seatback screen when someone reclines in front of you, but imagine that screen being mounted 2 rows ahead and then reclined...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
So I got to fly on this plane next month I ended up getting a seat in row 14E. Is that a ok seat for economy ? I still have over a month so I got time to change the seat if I want to. Is there a better seat to choose in economy ?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by comptr
So I got to fly on this plane next month I ended up getting a seat in row 14E. Is that a ok seat for economy ? I still have over a month so I got time to change the seat if I want to. Is there a better seat to choose in economy ?
An "E" seat is a middle seat. So, pretty much any seat other than an "E" or a "B" will be better. Do you prefer window seats or aisle seats? If you can select an Economy Comfort seat, row 10 is good, especially 10A or 10C.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
An "E" seat is a middle seat. So, pretty much any seat other than an "E" or a "B" will be better. Do you prefer window seats or aisle seats? If you can select an Economy Comfort seat, row 10 is good, especially 10A or 10C.
Well I prefer aisle. I will look and also see if there any EC seats left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.