Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight experience story...with a plot twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flight experience story...with a plot twist

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
^^

Yep. People shouldn't get to feel good about themselves at other people's expense and comfort (I mean there are exceptions etc but this isn't one of them - particularly given that little kids are just about the last people who need the extra room of EC).
I agree. That's really the biggest message I got from this article and reinforces the idea that GAs at DL are routinely performing these kinds of shady procedures behind the scenes. That's a good way to just get more people pissed off.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
I wish I could say I've never had a meltdown - I think I just had one on Sunday. Frustrated over a mechanical delay and paperwork issues leading to two returns to the gate followed by a clerical error resulting in errant rebooking of my connection, I expressed a lot of displeasure to a redcoat in MSP. I didn't raise my voice or curse, but did apologize to her for being so upset.

I guess these things just happen and seasoned travelers need do their best to keep it in check.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Author needs some lessons in anger management and patience.

With a two minute connection, the door on the connecting flight was closed before the door on the arriving flight was opened. Hermes could not have made that connection.

IMO story does not reflect well on the author, who did at least finally (3 hours later) apologize. But it does reinforce that Delta has some great people. ^

David
I have to disagree with you. I think not only does the 180 turn by the author reflect well on him but it shows courage to admit it not only to the GA but to the worst critics out here on FT (and HuffPo). We all have been in a tight connection and even though it was 2 minutes, often times, they will notify connecting gates to hold up. He might have had a chance and while that does not allow him or any of us to lose it, we all get upset. I have witness the selfish pax get up that are not in a hurry despite the FA's reqests countless times.

Nice job to the OP and author.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Agree...nice job to the author, and to Delta.

Wow...unbelievable that some folks on here are trashing Delta over this. Truly amazing - clearly, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by tkey75
The only thing to be mad with Delta about in that article is the fact that the agent moved people from their pre-selected seats to accommodate his family, possibly even moving people out of EC.
Before people bash DL and the GA (not saying you are, just a general statement I'm about to make) - we don't know that the agent didn't JUST assign seats to people (without handing them the boarding pass) and then realized he could sit the family together and put them in the EC row together. Remember that not everyone who sits in EC has paid/selected EC. The gate assignments will land in EC as well.

I've been frustrated on problems before too, but glad the OP learned a lesson for himself and his kids. GAs get a lot of grief, often have very little info, and even less control in IROPS. I don't envy them and make sure I go out of my way to thank them, even when I'm frustrated and not happy about the situation.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Maybe I'm being obtuse (apologies to Shawshank Redemption), but is mileageaddict actually Josh Misner, Ph.D. or is mileageaddict posting a story by Josh Misner, Ph.D.? I thought it was the latter.

David
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
Before people bash DL and the GA (not saying you are, just a general statement I'm about to make) - we don't know that the agent didn't JUST assign seats to people (without handing them the boarding pass) and then realized he could sit the family together and put them in the EC row together.
This is true but it is more likely the EC seats were chosen by people (paid or elites) and they will be inconvenienced, and *yet again* the blogger shows no awareness of other people and their needs and possible frustrations, basking as he is in his bromance with the GA. I'm not bashing DL - I'm bashing the GA for doing his "good deed" to the blogger by inconveniencing other pax.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
He didn't miss his flight because people didn't get out of his way when deplaning the first flight as he keeps bringing up in his story.
He missed his flight because they arrived too late.

I'm sorry, but this is nothing but a self glorifying sap story.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Its not about DL, EC policy, GA, FA, the other PAX ,,,its not even about air travel.

Its about the kids.

And thats all I have to say about that.

FG
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Maybe I'm being obtuse (apologies to Shawshank Redemption), but is mileageaddict actually Josh Misner, Ph.D. or is mileageaddict posting a story by Josh Misner, Ph.D.? I thought it was the latter.

David
I was a bit confused myself, but mileageaddict is not Dr. Misner, unless he changed his name since we last met. After reading and figuring out what is happening, I thought there should have been a big quote around the text.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Its not about DL, EC policy, GA, FA, the other PAX ,,,its not even about air travel.

Its about the kids.

And thats all I have to say about that.

FG
So we should get this thread moved to the Travel with Children forum?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
Good story. I wonder why nobody let them out? I fly a lot and just try and chill when I land at home and let those with connections get off the aircraft first if so requested because I would want the same courtesy should I need it.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by tkey75
I was a bit confused myself, but mileageaddict is not Dr. Misner, unless he changed his name since we last met. After reading and figuring out what is happening, I thought there should have been a big quote around the text.
That's what I thought, and I would agree. Wonder if we should ask the mods to do that edit.

David
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the only plot twist about this post is the attempt to drive traffic to the OP's blog.
Sorry, no conspiracy at work here. It isn't my blog. I simply shared an article I found interesting.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago on AA/AE.

Was flying out of Laredo on American Eagle to connect in DFW to BNA. The departure from Laredo was delayed because there was frost on the airplane and they didn't have any deicing capabilities so they had to wait for the sun to melt the frost. That put us about two hours late arriving DFW.

As we're waiting for the door to open there is one young lady who is trying to push her way up through the aisle of the E-145 saying that she has a connecting flight. Someone finally speaks up and says, "So do we!". He response was "Mine departs in five minutes!"

Absolutely no recognition at all that most of the passengers on the airplane were in the exact same situation as her.

My connection was in two minutes, not five, which I obviously missed. Was accommodated on the next flight which wasn't too long of a wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.