Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight experience story...with a plot twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flight experience story...with a plot twist

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Smile Delta flight experience story...with a plot twist

To the Ticket Agent at the Delta Counter

In Chicago, we marveled at the snowfall on the tarmac. Looking out the window, I joked to my teenage daughter, "Who's going to shovel all that snow off the wings before we take off?" A little part of me inside grew worried by the minute, because I knew that the harder the snow fell, the better the chances were for a delay.

Sure enough, our delay came. I refused to let it bother me, as I was intentionally trying to demonstrate patience to both my daughter and 6-year-old son accompanying me on our trip back home. This was a remarkably hard task, considering that, in the last three days, I had acquired a cumulative four hours of sleep. Regardless, I kept cool with an ounce of pure determination, mixed with a dash of stubbornness.

I ended up sleeping through most of the pre-flight delay, as did my children, but it wasn't until about 30 minutes before landing that panic set in. The flight attendant announced that, because of the delay, we would arrive at 11:00. Looking at the boarding pass for my connecting flight, I realized it was scheduled to take off at 11:02.

Two minutes.

Rest of the article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-m...b_4733642.html
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Nice story! Too easy to get mad at the service folks.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Very nice. Thank you for the uplifting article.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL
Great story. Thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Author needs some lessons in anger management and patience.

With a two minute connection, the door on the connecting flight was closed before the door on the arriving flight was opened. Hermes could not have made that connection.

IMO story does not reflect well on the author, who did at least finally (3 hours later) apologize. But it does reinforce that Delta has some great people. ^

David
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I've never had the meltdown but can understand it. In my case I got off the flight 7 minutes before my next flight. I know to short, well it was because of a 2 hr. delay so I had almost 2hrs and 10 minutes originally. I only had to go over 2 gates and got there with over 5 minutes. Door was closed and plane had been pushed back and GA was gone.
The interesting part was I new 2 friends that had left earlier in the day after taking 2 bumps that day to see were they where. They were in my seats, the plane it was over sold and they loaded and pushed away 10 minutes before departure time full. Another 4 people showed up soon after also looking for the flight. We all ended up spending the night in MSP. Nice Hotel and Breakfast but that was it.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
I fly every week and I've had at least five-six times in the past six months in a similar situation, luckily I've made all of my connections with the minimal time available but really if I didn't it wouldn't be a Delta staffers fault...

I mean it's nice you apologized but when I am close to missing my connections that usually means I have to spend a night somewhere weird, not be confirmed to catch another flight later that day, and I've never thought about taking it out on someone else.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
That my friend, is the secret to keeping involuntary denied boardings down. Push early in an oversold situation. And pray that some people don't show up. Because any gate agent and airline can now hide behind the "15 minutes prior to departure" rule...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I like that article. Definitely shouldn't have blown up to begin with, but sometimes things happen like that to teach us a bigger lesson.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the only plot twist about this post is the attempt to drive traffic to the OP's blog.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
That my friend, is the secret to keeping involuntary denied boardings down. Push early in an oversold situation. And pray that some people don't show up. Because any gate agent and airline can now hide behind the "15 minutes prior to departure" rule...
Josh looked at his watch and it was 11. His connection was scheduled to depart at 11:02. He and his two young children were still on their arriving plane. How is that at all abusing the 15 minute rule?

The only thing to be mad with Delta about in that article is the fact that the agent moved people from their pre-selected seats to accommodate his family, possibly even moving people out of EC.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:57 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
And no acknowledgement that other people may have also had very short connections.

This sort of stuff happens when you travel.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:11 pm

I was waiting for the part where the GA gave FC seats to the adoring family. Why didn't they get upgraded. <sniff>

Also, why didn't the dad notice his kids were spread all over the plane. That would be the very first thing I look at. Where are my kids sitting??
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Hvr
And no acknowledgement that other people may have also had very short connections.

This sort of stuff happens when you travel.
Yes. Every other person on that plane was also two hours late. It's likely that some of them had connection that they could still make if they hurried.

David
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by tkey75
The only thing to be mad with Delta about in that article is the fact that the agent moved people from their pre-selected seats to accommodate his family, possibly even moving people out of EC.
^^

Yep. People shouldn't get to feel good about themselves at other people's expense and comfort (I mean there are exceptions etc but this isn't one of them - particularly given that little kids are just about the last people who need the extra room of EC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.