Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
There's also a notice at delta.com that the 2016 program year will begin 2/1/2016, and that will affect folks who are earning their status in 2014 as it will expire a month early.
Well, for those who maintain status on DL this is a positive change, no need to let those who are coming off the Medallion rolls stay on through February ... I can understand some buffer to allow for posting of flights and other housekeeping to make sure folks don't lose benefits they've rightfully earned, but a full month is plenty in this day and age.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
these are STILL USELESS BECAUSE THEY REQUIRE Y/B/M!!! grrrr c'mon Delta..you and you alone still have that STINGY restriction. you need ot finally get rid of it. seriously.
One of us is lacking in reading comprehension ... and personally I don't think it's me ...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
One of us is lacking in reading comprehension ... and personally I don't think it's me ...
I think that was because the post was in reference to the SWU applicability, which is listed on the same page as th RMU and GMU information
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Being MSP based, the odds of me ever taking one of those ex-JFK tcons was always pretty remote, but the odds of flying to Hawaii were substanitally better. This is a net positive for me. In fact, I think for most medallions this is a positive. The change in medallion year end date is interesting — better hope I requalify next year as gold or better!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
same here, jrk and i apologize for my earlier post where i flipped out. It is nice to see them finally make SWU's an actual option. I was very disappointed when I joined the Delta family to see that unilke AA, SWUs were essentially useless to most of us.

I am already gold for 2015 (I know i'll hit the spend threshold pretty quickly as I've already hit the mileage one). So i'm looking forward to finally ending the misery of my MSP--AMS flight experience that is regular Y!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Both Global and Regional Upgrades will be valid on Delta flights for all paid Economy class fares except for E, providing you even more options and convenience.
All in all good news. I wonder if the GMUs and RMUs will pull from the same inventory as the Mileage upgrades will, or if we will have separate potentially more restrictive buckets.

I've always chosen the Max # of SWUs in the past but exclusively used them on domestic flights, usually trasncons.

Now I have to have a new strategy. Hmmm.....I guess I will go with 4GMUs and 4 RMUs, but 12 RMUs may be too good to pass up now that they are V and above.

Last edited by 18sas; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Good (maybe) for DM, bad for PM.

No chance to upgrade international as PM....ouch!

So for DM's, here is the question - take 6 that require M+ or take the 4. Conventional wisdom would say the 4 is better, but as others have stated, this does not mean seats are available. I have been using 1-3 for international, and then burning the rest for domestic flights just because I have extra. If they turn out to be just as hard to use as the current ones, maybe I would rather have 6....?

There WILL be lots of confusion for agents when there are people running around with some of each during the transition. They can't even get it straight now.

So on an international flight, there will be:

DM with SWU on M+

DM with Global on anything but E

PM with leftover SWU on M+

PM using miles on M+ (will you still need M+ to upgrade with miles?)

Here is another one for you.....you have 1 SWU left and a set of the new ones.....so you want to buy M one way and L the other way and use the two upgrades.....how many phone calls do you think that will take?

This should be fun!

Further evidence that PM is the new GM.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think the real question here is how many FFers who were flying JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA will now go through ATL, MSP, DTW, CVG? instead. That is the question Silvers & golds will be quite curious about. Yes, we rarely got the upgrades, but we DID get them from time to time.

To clarify, if someone buys a Y fare on these routes, are they no longer elibigle for any kind of upgrade besides using the global certificate?

Also…. Have they changed the Silver baggage allowance? I thought that Silvers w Skymiles AMex could get two free bags, this "new baggage fee" link doesn't seem to show that anywhere… though maybe I'm just not seeing it.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#guidelines
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Enough
Excellent news! I don't give a hoot about transcon upgrades, but am delighted to be able to get ex-DTW/JFK upgrades internationally! Makes flying out of YOW very nice!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM
Originally Posted by rylan
A lot of DMs fly on the JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA route and get upgraded. Now we can't, which means I'll be taking alternate routing.
As a part time DL, full time US(now AA) flyer, JFK-SFO upgrades were easy to come by and pretty much the ONLY reason I considered switching full time to DL. Unless I was just flying at the wrong times, I repeatedly saw GM and FO getting upgrades on this route. I myself was only flying as plat on cheap fares. Massively disappointing and definitely going to keep me stuck with the "new" AA.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have repeatedly seen even AF elites get upgrades on SEA-JFK -- and they come even after DL Silvers in the upgrade priority list -- so I guess this is going to go the way of the dodo for them too.

Diamond is the old Platinum, but a thinned out herd in some ways compared to that.

The smaller Diamond cohort in the main may think it is winning a little to a lot with these changes, but the other elites aren't going to be gaining much of anything given the customer-unfriendly shenanigans will continue and DL will continue to play its game even against Diamond customers. Shortening the elite status membership year by nearly 7.5% is also designed to cost DL customers more and give elites less from elite status in the main.

The majority of DL's 75k+ MQM flyers are any better off in the DL FFP today than they were years ago? Doubtful.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by rylan
My prediction: Global upgrades will have zero advance inventory and only clear either at the gate or a couple days before departure.
That would render them useless for me.....
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The smaller Diamond cohort in the main may think it is winning a little to a lot with these changes, but the other elites aren't going to be gaining much of anything. Shortening the elite status membership year by nearly 7.5% is also designed to cost DL customers more and gain less from elite status in the main.
I actually see this as a win, as it's one fewer month with a bigger fight for UGs due to last year's medallions still clinging on. Just my $0.02
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Also…. Have they changed the Silver baggage allowance? I thought that Silvers w Skymiles AMex could get two free bags, this "new baggage fee" link doesn't seem to show that anywhere… though maybe I'm just not seeing it.
It changed a couple of years ago, but the latest was that Silvers with Amex get two bags:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edallions.html

David
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think the real question here is how many FFers who were flying JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA will now go through ATL, MSP, DTW, CVG? instead. That is the question Silvers & golds will be quite curious about. Yes, we rarely got the upgrades, but we DID get them from time to time.

To clarify, if someone buys a Y fare on these routes, are they no longer elibigle for any kind of upgrade besides using the global certificate?

That (de)enhancement occurred awhile ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...llions-mm.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.