2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
[QUOTE?

If I am not mistaken, whoever qualified for Diamond for 2014 needs to make a Choice Benefit selection by Feb 28th, 2014. Thus, our only choice will be the old, non-enhanced SWUs. In that respect, shouldn't the TCON complimentary upgrade change take affect in 2015 too then? As it stands now, the negative news affects us in 2014 and the positive development is, theoretically, slated to start in 2015.

[/QUOTE]

No, you have until end of February 2015 to chose your 2014 Choice Benefit. I just chose my 2013 benefit last month. If you chose 2014 already, you are probably out of luck.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Andrito
Is it just me or is this a sneaky way to say that as of March 1, 2014, we won't get TCON complimentary upgrades but you'll have to wait until you re-qualify for 2015 Diamond status to receive the "true" upgrade certificates?
Well it may be undesirable (I would certainly be interested in taking the new Regional Upgrades instead of the current SWU's as a Platinum) and we could have been given more notice (not that more notice would matter much), I'd hardly call it sneaky ... it's about as clearly spelled out as you could expect.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
And boom goes the dynamite.

EDIT: Disappointed to see the upgrade certs are still only usable with a companion on the same reservation... so you can't buy a BE ticket and upgrade someone else who is flying with you.
You have had to be on the same PNR to use SWU's for at least a couple of years. They used to allow separate PNR's, but that ended long ago.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jrl22
if the back of the jet is oversold, presumably a few lucky folks could receive an OPUP ...

I'm perfectly happy with EC, and I'll still probably route DCA-JFK-SEA/LAX for maximum miles
Myself, and I'm sure lots of other PM and DMs would rather take alternate routing with a good shot at the upgrade to F. OPUPs are not common.

I guess the result will be those routes will be pretty exclusive with only a few paid pax up front on odd times. I bet the non-revs must love that change since they'll get easy upgrades.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
[/QUOTE]

No, you have until end of February 2015 to chose your 2014 Choice Benefit. I just chose my 2013 benefit last month. If you chose 2014 already, you are probably out of luck.[/QUOTE]

Well, there you go. I typically used my CB as quickly as possible(to give someone Gold Status) and didn't bother to read it careful. Thanks for the heads up.

I will most certainly be waiting now to grab the new Global Upgrades.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
From the perspective of a DM and AA EXP who does a lot of international flying...

This addresses the number one biggest competitive disadvantage of DL's FF program re: restrictive SWU usage. All in all a good move. Now my biggest question is whether old SWUs with the Y B or M restriction will trump GPUs? May be worthwhile to select the 6 SWUs for one last year since so much of my international travel is M or above anyway.

Interesting but not unexpected change regarding the BE coast to coast flights. This puts Delta in line with UA's PS service, although they allow upgrades with their regional instruments. I expect AA to leave things as they are next year given the merger, which means they will be the last option for complementary upgrades (albeit to top tear only). Given that the 321s will be coming online early next year, which will match or exceed the 76Ws in transcon comfort... I say no big deal.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by rylan
I bet the non-revs must love that change since they'll get easy upgrades.
Ah, the cure for shenanigans!

David
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
You have had to be on the same PNR to use SWU's for at least a couple of years. They used to allow separate PNR's, but that ended long ago.
Correct... I was just hoping they'd come to their senses and not keep the same PNR restriction. It kills being being able to bring someone along for a business trip.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.
2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

This change is pretty huge for me. I had just earned my Exec Plat credentials on AA and was ready to abandon Delta but now I have to reconsider. Flying out of Seattle, Delta was always the more convenient carrier but the international upgrades on AA was too appealing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theYipster
Now my biggest question is whether old SWUs with the Y B or M restriction will trump GPUs? May be worthwhile to select the 6 SWUs for one last year since so much of my international travel is M or above anyway.
I would expect the priority will be arranged according to fare... so because an SWU requires M+ it will by default be higher on the list than someone on a GPU since they'd most likely have a lower fare bucket.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by cgchu
This change is pretty huge for me. I had just earned my Exec Plat credentials on AA and was ready to abandon Delta but now I have to reconsider. Flying out of Seattle, Delta was always the more convenient carrier but the international upgrades on AA was too appealing.
8 vs 4 still gives EXP an edge...although I think DL's J product is better than AA's, apart from the 77W.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
However, in light of significant investments in our coast-to-coast BusinessElite experience - including premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining - we will no longer offer Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on flights between New York-JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle beginning March 1, 2014.
Will free changes be available for those who've already booked affected flights?

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Definitely a great benefit improvement for DMs, with the GMUs being able to be used for any fare class.

However, PMs are getting the short end of the stick. The RMUs are quite a disappointment though, as they're pretty much just trump cards, for routes that are eligible for complimentary Medallion upgrades. And they can't get any form of a GMU in exchange.

At a lowly non-status member, I'm just happy DL didn't move to FBATR!!!

And to the lurkers at DL, I do purchase international business class tickets from time to time, sometimes on DL. However, DL's SkyMiles program isn't strong enough for me to spend all my money just on DL. I used to have status on NW for the a very long time and 2 years on DL.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, National Exec, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, SPG Gold
As an internationally based Plat Regional certs are pretty much useless to me (not that SWU's on expensive M fares are much better). 2 Global certs would have been a nice option.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrl22
if the back of the jet is oversold, presumably a few lucky folks could receive an OPUP ...

I'm perfectly happy with EC, and I'll still probably route DCA-JFK-SEA/LAX for maximum miles
Maybe more than a few if it's a 76W.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.