Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SCORE ONE for the good guys! I stopped the GA from giving my UG to a non rev.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM,

DL XXXX ATL--->SEA(5 hrs 23 minutes) BFU after BOTH DL Gate agents played "NON-REV" Roulette........

T-15, GIDS indicated I was #1 on the upgrade list. The flight was packed and had several SB's.

T-10 the screen "blinked", the CLEARED list indicated "UP" and I proceeded to the scanner.....(I snapped the picture before......THANK GOD for camera phones!)

As the boarding pass scanned, in hindsight I noticed the one GA typing furiously on the keyboard, the scanner beeped XXD....I waited for the UG paper and NOTHING! The GA at the scanner SMILED broadly and said, "you didn't get the upgrade".....I remarked that the screen indicated that I received the last FC "Reserved but NOT checked in" seat. So, I asked "may I stand by" and wait till T-1 and if the person is a no show, could I get that seat? The answer from one GA was NO! Once you check in you loose out on the opportunity, the other at the same time said, sure. So, I waited and asked nicely at T-1 if I do NOT score the upgrade, could they please notify me to board and the one GA said sure.

The DL SB's were furious! So, the GA's tried to explain to me DL's policy on UG with the FACT that if you board you loose out on the UG chance. I said REALLY???? I said, "after repeated e-mails to DL, they assured me that DL's GA's are required to go and get the Medallions in Economy.....So they advised me that I board my seat, I said, "No problem, I'll be writing Virginia Ave. with a copy of the picture of the upgrade". They said, "you have a picture?, I said Yes Ma'am, I do!". They requested to see it, and I politely said, no, that's okay..... I went to board the aircraft and they called me back and handed me the upgraded boarding pass.

Needless to say as I looked back as the group of DL "Non-Rev's", they were shaking their heads probably saying, "What an A#hole!"....But I got the UG I deserved.

I remember seeing flashes of MSP_Economist and HongKonger and I remembered the many threads about this.

My Battery in XC is about to die somewhere over Missouri at 32,006 ft and 498 MPH @ a head wind of 129MPH on my way to BKK!

All of you folks are GREAT!

KOTAR

Last edited by KOTAR1988; Nov 3, 2013 at 7:13 am Reason: Removed Seat #'s
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
DL 2329 ATL--->SEA(5 hrs 23 minutes) BFU after BOTH DL Gate agents played "NON-REV" Roulette........

T-15, GIDS indicated I was #1 on the upgrade list. The flight was packed and had several SB's.

T-10 the screen "blinked", the CLEARED list indicated "UP" and I proceeded to the scanner.....(I snapped the picture before......THANK GOD for camera phones!)

As the boarding pass scanned, in hindsight I noticed the one GA typing furiously on the keyboard, the scanner beeped 19D....I waited for the UG paper and NOTHING! The GA at the scanner SMILED broadly and said, "you didn't get the upgrade".....I remarked that the screen indicated that I received the last FC "Reserved but NOT checked in" seat. So, I asked "may I stand by" and wait till T-1 and if the person is a no show, could I get that seat? The answer from one GA was NO! Once you check in you loose out on the opportunity, the other at the same time said, sure. So, I waited and asked nicely at T-1 if I do NOT score the upgrade, could they please notify me to board and the one GA said sure.

The DL SB's were furious! So, the GA's tried to explain to me DL's policy on UG with the FACT that if you board you loose out on the UG chance. I said REALLY???? I said, "after repeated e-mails to DL, they assured me that DL's GA's are required to go and get the Medallions in Economy.....So they advised me that I board my seat, I said, "No problem, I'll be writing Virginia Ave. with a copy of the picture of the upgrade". They said, "you have a picture?, I said Yes Ma'am, I do!". They requested to see it, and I politely said, no, that's okay..... I went to board the aircraft and they called me back and handed me the upgraded boarding pass.

Needless to say as I looked back as the group of DL "Non-Rev's", they were shaking their heads probably saying, "What an A#hole!"....But I got the UG I deserved.

I remember seeing flashes of MSP_Economist and HongKonger and I remembered the many threads about this.

My Battery in 6C is about to die somewhere over Missouri at 32,006 ft and 498 MPH @ a head wind of 129MPH on my way to BKK!
All of you folks are GREAT! KOTAR
10/10 sir ^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This story is amazing for several reasons, IMO . . . .

1) Congrats to the OP, or should I call you Columbo, for superb private detective work!

2) You got what you deserved and earned!

3) It proves to the nay-sayers who post here, that it, not only happens, but . . . . .

4) They KNOW it's wrong to do this!!!

Normally, when it comes to customer serivce issues, once I get resolution to my issue locally, I don't usually send a comment to HQ. I think, in this case, the OP should definitely write in and send the pic. Will they care? Probably not.

Have GREAT trip to Thailand, and, if, by chance, you're still in BKK in early December, I'll buy you a Singha beer!

Shena is DEAD tonite!!!

DT

edited to add . . . .

Re: Low battery: Your flight is supposed to have AC power ports in F. I know, the icons on DL.com aren't always accurate. Just a reminder, as many people seem to either forget they're there, or don't even know about them!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Well done! Sometimes a smart phone camera can be man's best friend!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:49 pm

Wow! Congrats on staying calm AND for standing your ground!

Taking a picture is an excellent idea! Will have to remember to do that for now on!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Props ... should have walked away from the gate to another gate and asked for the station manager / red coat to meet you at the gate while you waited.

That aside I would still write RA with your experience.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Props ... should have walked away from the gate to another gate and asked for the station manager / red coat to meet you at the gate while you waited.

That aside I would still write RA with your experience.
Well done OP! But I agree, still write in and mention the GAs by name.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by davetravels
3) It proves to the nay-sayers who post here, that it, not only happens

Just a reminder, as many people seem to either forget they're there, or don't even know about them!
I don't think I've ever heard anyone on here say it never happens. It just doesn't happen in the frequency that people think it does. But it is Friday night and in ATL. Not a huge surprise that there was something fishy going on.

I agree with the power outlet thing, but my last 5 75X experiences have yielded no power/charging capabilities for any of the three devices i carry (charger for note2, iPad, and laptop.)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Its' Goin' In

Originally Posted by davetravels
This story is amazing for several reasons, IMO . . . .

1) Congrats to the OP, or should I call you Columbo, for superb private detective work!

2) You got what you deserved and earned!

3) It proves to the nay-sayers who post here, that it, not only happens, but . . . . .

4) They KNOW it's wrong to do this!!!

Normally, when it comes to customer serivce issues, once I get resolution to my issue locally, I don't usually send a comment to HQ. I think, in this case, the OP should definitely write in and send the pic. Will they care? Probably not.

Have GREAT trip to Thailand, and, if, by chance, you're still in BKK in early December, I'll buy you a Singha beer!

Shena is DEAD tonite!!!

DT

edited to add . . . .

Re: Low battery: Your flight is supposed to have AC power ports in F. I know, the icons on DL.com aren't always accurate. Just a reminder, as many people seem to either forget they're there, or don't even know about them!
2:44am EDT/11:44PDT

My "goal"/"intent" is NOT to get anyone FIRED, however, the letter is going to be sent certified/dropped in person on Virginia Ave.

I remember reading several pieces on this website about the "shenanigans" and they EXIST. I do NOT like this prevailing attitude that if you board you loose your place in line....just don't agree with that.

This should be a "teaching" moment for Delta. maybe there is just a misunderstanding of the policy?{ask me about Flt #2202 from LAS-->ATL last Sunday and 1B}

KOTAR
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Sadly it's not an attitude, it's policy. You board, you lose your place in line on the UPG list. UA/AA actually come on board and get you. I don't know who's policy is better as I've seen people get upgraded while on the aircraft, not want it, and now they have to replace two people's seats as opposed to just the one. Personally, I would be hanging out in the gate area if I had a coach ticket and was right on the bubble.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:54 am
Original Poster

I had NO choice..

Originally Posted by Burj
Wow! Congrats on staying calm AND for standing your ground!

Taking a picture is an excellent idea! Will have to remember to do that for now on!
Thanks! I had NO choice to remain VERY calm and my voice is a somewhat "happy" voice....because I had to connect to Tokyo and on to BKK on Saturday. The ironic part is......I remember MANY conversations on the website about this happening.....also, I was so happy to see the GIDS say "UP" on a Transcon that I immediately joined the line....next time.....I will wait till the t-5 before getting on board. What happened tonight was NOT right to ANY Medallion!

Last edited by KOTAR1988; Oct 19, 2013 at 12:55 am Reason: added "to"
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Glad you got the upgrade you were entitled to. It sounds like they were trying to get a non-rev into that seat. But, every Delta employee I have asked has told me that once you board the aircraft you lose your position on the upgrade list. I would not have gotten on the aircraft.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
But, every Delta employee I have asked has told me that once you board the aircraft you lose your position on the upgrade list. I would not have gotten on the aircraft.
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Sadly it's not an attitude, it's policy. You board, you lose your place in line on the UPG list.
I'm a little confused . . . At some point, you hafto board. The screen said he got the UG. Nuff said! It shouldn't change!

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
But it is Friday night and in ATL. Not a huge surprise that there was something fishy going on.
Sorry, I don't get the corealtion to Friday nite?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This may start a new trend of FT'ers taking pictures of the GIDS when their UG clears! ^
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
This may start a new trend of FT'ers taking pictures of the GIDS when their UG clears!
They certainly should. And should take screen shots of all relevant information when booking tickets too. There are too many stories of wasted time on this forum to take anything for granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.