Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List

In viewing a recent thread about MM status, it made me reflect on my Flying Colonel status.

I remember the day I found out. My travel agent (??) called me and told me a DL district manager in TYS had invited us out to his office, for coffee and my FC award. It consisted of a plaque (I have no idea where it is now) and net bag tags and a membership ID. And apparently, you had to be nominated by a travel agent and approved (??) by DL.

How times have changed. No DL marketing office in TYS anymore. The DL district mgr took an early out.

And of course, the Flying Colonel concept is gone. I really wonder how many DL employees even know what we are talking about.

I'd be curious:

Who here is a former FC? I received mine in 1996. And if you are FC, how did you receive your award?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
There have been reports on this forum that the occasional DL frontline employee remarks on a pax's FC status, so that information must still be retained in the system and displayed at least sometimes. It's a shame they just dumped it. Didn't that happen in 1997? So OP you got in just in time.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I believe the recognition now is limited to "FC" appearing with your name on a flight manifest..
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I believe the recognition now is limited to "FC" appearing with your name on a flight manifest..

Correct... It is on the manifest as FC. I actually had a elderly lady yesterday that was thrilled to have me recognize her as a FC.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
My father-in-law is/was a Flying Colonel. I get the distinct impression he still thinks it is the only way of being recognized as a FF at Delta. I don't have the heart to tell him it is kind of meaningless at this point.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:30 pm

The Flying Colonel program came with a bag tag and free Crown Room membership, nothing else. Had nothing to do with how much one flew, given to people by Delta Marketing who they felt could send business their way. In the late 80's I once was seated next to guy fresh out of college who was a Flying Colonel, he told me he went to school with a guy who worked in the Marketing Division @ Delta and he had sent him the tag/letter--guy had only flown Delta twice before in his life.

Remember the Delta Marketing Mgr for my region calling / inviting me to lunch when I reached my First MM back in the early 90's ... presented me with tags/letter from the CEO ect ... long gone by the time I reached 2MM & 3MM.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
IND District Manager took me to lunch. FA did recognize me after a flight last year.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

FCC

I got mine in 1990 when we still had a DL office here. The DL rep took me and the travel agent to lunch and gave me the stuff. I still have my card.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I got mine in 1990 when we still had a DL office here. The DL rep took me and the travel agent to lunch and gave me the stuff. I still have my card.
Post up a picture of this relic.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:07 pm

I didn't qualify for the Flying Colonel program, I believe it was men only.

I was, however, a Flying Orchid. (Yes, it existed. I got a jewelry box)
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG PLAT, MARR GOLD
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere
In viewing a recent thread about MM status, it made me reflect on my Flying Colonel status.

I remember the day I found out. My travel agent (??) called me and told me a DL district manager in TYS had invited us out to his office, for coffee and my FC award. It consisted of a plaque (I have no idea where it is now) and net bag tags and a membership ID. And apparently, you had to be nominated by a travel agent and approved (??) by DL.

How times have changed. No DL marketing office in TYS anymore. The DL district mgr took an early out.

And of course, the Flying Colonel concept is gone. I really wonder how many DL employees even know what we are talking about.

I'd be curious:

Who here is a former FC? I received mine in 1996. And if you are FC, how did you receive your award?
I remember the FC program. DL District Mgr at TYS was a man named Dave Conklin. Nice guy.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Still have my card!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Flying Colonel

I was wondering if this program/honor still existed. In the early 90's I was given that status and have a nice plaque signed by Ronald Allen, CEO and Board Chairman. Originally this status gave you lifetime entry to the lounges as well.
Are there any other FC's here?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
There are lots. DL discontinued the program long ago. But somewhere buried deep in their ancient creaky IT your status is still recorded. And once in a while someone on FT reports that an agent who has been around long enough to remember the FCs comments on a passenger's FC status.

Sadly, it will get you nothing nowadays.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
These threads might interest you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hlight=colonel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.