Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:14 pm

Was never a FC but was given a Crown Room card which said 'Lifetime' , it is worthless!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:51 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by Fly So Free
Was never a FC but was given a Crown Room card which said 'Lifetime' , it is worthless!
Maybe it'd be worth something...if there were still Crown Rooms.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Thanks for the replies and links.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I didn't qualify for the Flying Colonel program, I believe it was men only.

I was, however, a Flying Orchid. (Yes, it existed. I got a jewelry box)
I recall flying FC in the late 90's and took a peek at the manifest and saw the Flying Orchid notation. The FA had no clue what it was.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Chalky White
Maybe it'd be worth something...if there were still Crown Rooms.
It was worth nothing long before Crown Rooms became Sky Clubs!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The last surviving Flying Colonel benefit?

Just stumbled upon this:

Preferred seating

"A number of choice Coach/Economy Class seats are set aside and offered to qualified passengers. Qualified passengers include:

Passengers ticketed in Y and B class
Medallion SkyMiles members:
Silver Medallion (FO)
Gold Medallion (GM)
Platinum Medallion (PM)
Diamond Medallion (DM)
Passenger traveling with a Medallion SkyMiles member
Agency or Corporate accounts due to contract negotiations
Unaccompanied minor (only if non-preferred seats are depleated).
SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus partner members
Flying Colonel (FC)"
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Unaccompanied minor (only if non-preferred seats are depleated).
I would certainly hope never to be forced to sit in a seat that has been depleated. I like pleats.

David
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would certainly hope never to be forced to sit in a seat that has been depleated. I like pleats.

David
DL may have a big Revenue Management department, but the website makes it clear that they do not have a Proofreading department.

Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Flying Colonels. Oh for the past

Delta used to be "fun to fly"

Prior to some As. Suing AA to make their VIP program open to all (thus the advantage)' Delta had the Flying Colonel. A marketing program that each stTion manager could give a couple out every year. They had "no host" private lounges with booze and decks of cards (some great poker games).

A Col was always upgraded with his party (I once had 4 friends upgraded) and all"rules" we're broken if possible

Then came the flying milers who thought they had as much right and the paid crown rooms. Delta used to guarantee to get you home (held your connecting flight if yours was late)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Could you tell those of us younger folks how you could qualify to become flying colonel. And what the perks were? And was it a lifetime status?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It came with lifetime Crown Room membership... that is, until VA Ave took it away.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Prior to some As. Suing AA to make their VIP program open to all (thus the advantage)
Just for my edification I had never heard of this. Do you have a pointer. Google did not help during my search. Likely the wrong terms.

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM FC Two-MM CRC
Flying Colonel was awarded with a Personally Engraved Wood Plaque, Baggage Tags, ID Card and a Crown Room Membership. Membership was automatically renewed every 5 years until the late 1990's. Gate Agents DID go out of their way to help whenever there were opportunities to do "a little extra." When I received my initial appointment, I asked what I could expect as a Flying Colonel. A Gate agent in Chicago told me "Assume your flight was canceled and the passengers were being given Hotel Vouchers (that dates the Program), most passengers would be sent to the Days Inn, but the Flying Colonel would be sent to the Hyatt. When the program was retired, Delta at least kept the designation in the Customer records and it still to this day appears on the Flight Manifest for the Flight Attendants. Unfortunately, most of them have no idea what the "FC" actually means.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Each station chief had so many that he could give out, plus corp. it was for those who either had done something for Delta (I trioged the '88 Dallas crash) or who brought business to Delta. Ron Allen flew to Chicago to present me my plaque

Originally, there were "no host" lounges with booze in most airports and you could use them. Additionally, essentially all "rules" we're broken. I often upgraded 5 - 6 friends to first.

Reportedly, the major reason it was cancelled was that their became too many (and $ lost because of free Crown room)

With older agents, I still get rules broken and am called "Colonel"
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Last night IND-ATL the FA went through first class thanking passengers for being loyal, etc. She thanked me for being a Flying Colonel. The guy next to me asked what it was and she gave a 95% correct description of how it used to work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.