Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:11 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Just revived this via email. I clicked the button and wallah, when I check the DL website I am SM for life.

hnewman, uanj, baqnav and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JRF
Just revived this via email. I clicked the button and wallah, when I check the DL website I am SM for life.

are you freaking kidding me? 🙄
FC is the new FO 🙄
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by vielflieger
FO = flying orchid, female equivalent of FC.

FC still shows on manifest alongside with Medallion and MM status.

In the early 90's it was very helpful with IROPs. Also got inflight upgrades from C to F on my regular flights from CVG to FRA. Maybe was the Purser (Alexander) he flew the route regularly and welcomed me on board by last name at least 20 times :-) I start feeling old now...
Actually, an FO - Flying Orchid was a complimentary status given to the individual who usually assisted the Flying Colonel with their travel arrangements. Back then (think 1960s, 1970s), those were “secretaries” and “secretaries” were almost always women. You know, they did all the important things for the men in the office - poured coffee, picked up dry cleaning, emptied ash trays, cleared jams in photocopiers when men tried to use “office equipment” (it was well-known that it required a “woman’s touch” to deal with temperamental office equipment). Things were horribly sexist back then.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:00 pm

One other bit of trivia from antiquity - this didn’t happen too often, but If Delta had connecting passengers inbound to the last flight of the night, they’d hold the flight for the passengers (regardless of status) for a reasonable amount of time. I remember being on flights that were as much as 30-45 minutes late pushing back so people could make the flight and not be stuck in ATL. Now, we have the big countdown clock in the jetway, and who knows what happens to the gate agent if that aircraft door is closed one second late (I suspect the poor people are docked every minute the plane is past time).
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I believe the recognition now is limited to "FC" appearing with your name on a flight manifest..
I was awarded Delta's Flying Colonel (FC) status in 1985 or 1986. The status had nothing to do with frequent flyer miles (FF). I still have my plaque that stated I received the award because of my major contributions to and support of Delta Airlines. I also still have my ID card that provided.me with complimentary access to
Delta's Crown Rooms, my luggage tags, my document case and my portfolio tote.
If anyone is still .
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk rma in delta seat 1A
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
I was awarded FC way back then as well. Was surprised that Crown room membership went with it and when I asked how long I would have that membership, I was told "forever!" Does anyone who who is a flying colonel still get access to the Crown room/sky club?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dldmfll
I was awarded FC way back then as well. Was surprised that Crown room membership went with it and when I asked how long I would have that membership, I was told "forever!" Does anyone who who is a flying colonel still get access to the Crown room/sky club?
From a previous post upthread, it seems the comp Crown Room membership benefit was not extended beyond the late 90's --

"Flying Colonel was awarded with a Personally Engraved Wood Plaque, Baggage Tags, ID Card and a Crown Room Membership. Membership was automatically renewed every 5 years until the late 1990's. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.