Search

MCI - The Definitive Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
Weather is bi-polar in KC but that is half the fun hah
And if you have a few hours layover there is always Smokin Suns BBQ -AWESOME FOOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoR3TLZFWWY
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
And if you have a few hours layover there is always Smokin Suns BBQ -AWESOME FOOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoR3TLZFWWY
Okie Joe's. 'Nuff said.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Okie Joe's. 'Nuff said.
Agreed but it is easier to get to and easier to get served at Smokin Guns
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
There are a number of comments here about TSA at Kansas City (MCI). Because of my horrible need to be pedantic, I have to add that there is no 'TSA' at MCI. That airport is one of the handful of places that uses independent private subcontractors for security. In this case, it's a company called 'FirstLine'. They wear similar blue shirts and follow TSA training guidelines, but they don't work for the gubmint.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by Down3Green
There are a number of comments here about TSA at Kansas City (MCI). Because of my horrible need to be pedantic, I have to add that there is no 'TSA' at MCI. That airport is one of the handful of places that uses independent private subcontractors for security. In this case, it's a company called 'FirstLine'. They wear similar blue shirts and follow TSA training guidelines, but they don't work for the gubmint.
Hey, I appreciate the corrected info and the kind, polite manner in which you provided it. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Down3Green
Good find- it is my home airport - I should have remembered and picked that up. ^
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
So no one is an Arthur Bryant's fan?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Thanks for the info OP. I fly MSP-SLC a lot in the winter and have thought about doing and MCI connection as it can be a little cheaper or offering it as a suggested route to the GA in case of a VDB. Guess I'll have to think twice about that option.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Slightly off topic, but any idea onwhy are there so few restaurants in the area around the airport? If you stay at any of the airport hotels, there's nowhere to go out to eat...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by presto310
Slightly off topic, but any idea onwhy are there so few restaurants in the area around the airport? If you stay at any of the airport hotels, there's nowhere to go out to eat...
Maybe not late hours but Zona Rosa is close to airport hotels and offers many places to dine.

Arthur Bryant's a classic - nothing compares to stopping by on the way to a Royals game back in the day! Gotta hand it to the well known Gates family too for all the amazing work they've done for the community! And best Smoked Brisket IMO.

My favorite is/was the American Royal BQ contest. Worked with many a musical group performing there and to wander around and sample, yum, yum!

That new concert hall downtown is pretty dang sweet too! Nice sounding stage....
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Could, theoretically, all of the current KCI daily flights operate out of one of the three terminals currently in use?
I couldn't see that happening without quite a bit of modifications. As it stands, DL & WN take up quite a bit of terminal B, and that would leave too little space for AA/AC/F9/UA.

I thoroughly enjoy being able to park 50' from the terminal, though that is not possible with Term. B.. All of the DL & WN traffic take up the majority of the parking garage, and finding spots is often a big challenge.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Another issue with connecting through MCI is DL's website forcing my whole itin onto paper boarding passes when I would prefer to use my phone.

I know the people manning the checkpoint are contractors, not TSA employees, but they follow the same SOP. They also follow the same , such as the Trained Document Checker deciding he wanted to play some behavior detection voodoo with me recently.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Another issue with connecting through MCI is DL's website forcing my whole itin onto paper boarding passes when I would prefer to use my phone.

I know the people manning the checkpoint are contractors, not TSA employees, but they follow the same SOP. They also follow the same , such as the Trained Document Checker deciding he wanted to play some behavior detection voodoo with me recently.
DL doesn't support mobile BPs @ MCI? Strange, as AA & UA are able to accept them.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I don't know about everyone else, but personally I like KC and think it is primed for growth just by having Google Fiber. Lots to do, lots to eat, and relaxed atmosphere. I think a new airport or significant changes to MCI could really boost that city and surrounding area....
Google Fiber is just in KC, KS I believe.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no one is an Arthur Bryant's fan?
It is OK - the other two mentioned are much better IMHO

Originally Posted by presto310
Poor planning- not good inside the airport either. That is why it needs rebuilding even though I love the airport.

[QUOTE=Ti22;20988628]Maybe not late hours but Zona Rosa mall is close to airport hotels and offers many places to dine. QUOTE]

Yes it is 5 exits away south on 1-29 - a really good selection. The Hereford House is a really nice steak restaurant and not too pricey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.