Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI - The Definitive Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Google Fiber is just in KC, KS I believe.
I've used it in MO at some coffee shops... maybe not home based yet? https://fiber.google.com/cities/kcmo/#header=check
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
This was a good discussion prior to my trip there friday... at which I get in around midnight so it shall be even worse
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
This was a good discussion prior to my trip there friday... at which I get in around midnight so it shall be even worse
At KCI, they request the last passenger off flights that get in around midnight to please turn off the lights as they leave security.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
DL doesn't support mobile BPs @ MCI? Strange, as AA & UA are able to accept them.
If I could get the app or website to give me a mobile BP I'm sure it would scan at the gate, it's the checkpoint that doesn't have a scanner. So instead of the app or site saying you'll need to print out a paper BP for MCI (or any similar airport without checkpoint scanners) but other airports are okay for mobile, it forces you to paper on all segments.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by presto310
Slightly off topic, but any idea onwhy are there so few restaurants in the area around the airport? If you stay at any of the airport hotels, there's nowhere to go out to eat...
I guess it would have to depend what your take on "area" is. As noted you can travel a distance of 3 miles from 112th St. down I-29 to Barry Rd. where the Zona Rosa outdoor mall is adjacent to at least 3 others on all sides of hwy with a number of food options. For somewhat late night food Minsky's Pizza (essentially an Sports Bar w pizza) is right off the highway. There is a 24 hr Waffle House at Tiffany Springs Pkwy only a mile or so south of 112th St. It's adjacent to the Hyatt Place and I think there is or at least was another full service rest there too....Ruby Tuesday maybe?

It's not Grand Central Station, not a lot to walk to but for the most part everything you'd ever want to eat is available within a 5 min drive of most of the "airport" hotels.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
....for Southwest flights, MCI works well....all SW gates are inside one security zone, so crowds are spread out through lots of seating (although bathrooms are way too small)....and there is now a full bar/restaurant "upstairs" above the gate seating area....so MCI is also a good spot for Southwest lengthy connections!

----from Aug 2012-----

If it helps make a decision about a Kansas City (MCI) connection on Southwest......there's now a sit-down table-service restaurant inside security for the Southwest gate area. It's upstairs, with elevator access across from gate 41.

It's called the "Pork and Pickle" --- menu has the usual burgers ($11), big cobb salads ($7-15), sandwiches, brats and an emphasis on BBQ ribs, chicken and brisket . Unexpected are mussels from PEI ($16), and a list of a dozen distinctive beers.

Serves breakfast all day......Run by HMS/Host, although I dreamed of a branch of Arthur Byrant's BBQ.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
My two cents as a KC native and still a frequent traveler there:

1) Agree with most of the pros and cons of the airport given here, although my experience has been:
--better with regard to DL gate security wait times (mine have almost always been short and DL Skypriority line normally enforce
--Worse with regard to a weird fixation on really, really inspecting the driver's license. (I mean three times through the purple light, and then squinting at it, every time?)

2) Won't veer too far OT on the new airport debate, but in summary I'm against it. I can't see the value in spending $1B when the only hard dollar benefit is reduced security staffing. The payback on 50 or 100 fewer agents per year isn't going to cover that expense. Boosters IMHO have relied on "comparable" cities of similar population like Charlotte (which is a hub) to justify high estimates for incremental concession costs, while downplaingy stories of other airport redesigns that have failed to generate new revenues (STL). Bottom line: much as I wish it were otherwise, a new terminal won't bring a hub operation to KC.

3) Barbecue barbecue barbecue.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice

--Worse with regard to a weird fixation on really, really inspecting the driver's license. (I mean three times through the purple light, and then squinting at it, every time?)

OMG- you are correct. Now that you mention it I do remember they always do this - crazy. Wonder why?

3) Barbecue barbecue barbecue. No need to say anymore
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
[QUOTE=PersonalFlotationDevice;20990610]My two cents as a KC native and still a frequent traveler there:

2) Won't veer too far OT on the new airport debate, but in summary I'm against it. I can't see the value in spending $1B when the only hard dollar benefit is reduced security staffing. The payback on 50 or 100 fewer agents per year isn't going to cover that expense. Boosters IMHO have relied on "comparable" cities of similar population like Charlotte (which is a hub) to justify high estimates for incremental concession costs, while downplaingy stories of other airport redesigns that have failed to generate new revenues (STL). Bottom line: much as I wish it were otherwise, a new terminal won't bring a hub operation to KC.

As to Point 2 (and I'm not sure I buy it 100%), but City and Airport claim TSA/Homeland Security has issued a number of warnings that MCI can't support the number of TSA (FirstLine or whatever they're called, but paid by TSA) officers and they're going to get cut off at some point. They also claim the $$ for new terminal is to be fully paid by existing airport revenue and Fed. funds (albeit backed by Muni Bonds). They aren't quite this explicit, but the argument is basically "We can build it and other people will pay for it vs. if we keep what we have, security lines may increase dramatically if TSA/Homeland Security cut the number of officers. Locally, I haven't heard comparisons to STL or CLT, more IND, which I think is a better comparison. CLT and STL have hubs (albeit very small AA "hub" at STL these days) vs. IND & MCI generally have multiple daily flights to all carriers' hubs.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A compromise interim solution may be to close one terminal down so at least security is more concentrated. C terminal would make the most sense and move existing to A.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
A compromise interim solution may be to close one terminal down so at least security is more concentrated. C terminal would make the most sense and move existing to A.
Agreed.. Unlike a few years ago when F9 had a large contingent of flights from MCI, they only need one (maybe two at the max) gates. They do have some seasonal flights to Mexico, and Term C is the only part of the airport with CBP facilities.

AA, though not as large as UA, could probably use three or four gates. Still would leave plenty of space at Terminal A if another airline were to start service to MCI in the future (B6 or VX)
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I first moved there were Vanguard, WN, Midwest, UA, AA, US, Frontier, Northwest, DL, CO, Skybus - remember them they lasted a few months at best. I am sure there were others. So with consolidation etc, some form of terminal consolidation seems sensible IMHO.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I took SkyBus once or twice MCI-CMH (I think--that was 6 years go). What a weird airline--anyone know why they even tried to operate?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
I took SkyBus once or twice MCI-CMH (I think--that was 6 years go). What a weird airline--anyone know why they even tried to operate?
Straight one word answer - NO.

Their business model was all wrong. Silly cheap fares with no chance of being profitable. I had a flight booked but manged to get my money back when it was cancelled.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
IIRC many years ago, MCI was actually a hub for an airline. It was their Midwest hub, but I cannot remember the airline. Of course, I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.