Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI - The Definitive Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Wasn't MCI also a substantial an Eastern Airlines hub?

This place is rivaled only by PIT as a ghost town airport with unused gates etc.

It's probably best to struggle with the design, it's a pain but quasi-functional. Low O and D mid-continent hub airports have mostly gone by the wayside and there's no reason to suggest that MCI traffic will grow substantially.

Last edited by jfinsocal; Jul 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:13 pm
G2

Hi folks - haven't been here in years. I am coming to MCI in August. Can anyone tell me where I can find info on the earliest flights out on Sunday mornings to ANYWHERE. The problem is, my daughter needs to be back in Richmond, VA early Sunday afternoon Sept 1. The earliest I can find to get her in from MCI is at 11:37 am. Any delay would be trouble. There seem to be no late night Saturday flights our of MCI. Am I missing something? No very early Sunday flights either. Any info on where I can go to find all flights out of MCI that weekend would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by G2
Hi folks - haven't been here in years. I am coming to MCI in August. Can anyone tell me where I can find info on the earliest flights out on Sunday mornings to ANYWHERE. The problem is, my daughter needs to be back in Richmond, VA early Sunday afternoon Sept 1. The earliest I can find to get her in from MCI is at 11:37 am. Any delay would be trouble. There seem to be no late night Saturday flights our of MCI. Am I missing something? No very early Sunday flights either. Any info on where I can go to find all flights out of MCI that weekend would be great. Thank you in advance.
I class 6.00 am on a Sunday morning as very early. All perspective I guess.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G2
www.expedia.com
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita
Yes, where the Delta crown room was. Oh I wish the club was back, cheap vodka and all.
The vodka may have been cheap, but the wine was pretty good, and the DL people were fantastic!

I was hoping that the Club might re-open after the NW merger. I guess there are no clubs at all at MCI now.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by G2
You're fighting the time zones and the lack of non-stops, so 11:37 sounds pretty good. There are, however, nonstops to DCA and maybe IAD. Depending on exactly where she needs to be, and whether or not you can arrange ground transportation, that might be worth thinking about.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:45 am
G2

Thanks all. I looked at all of those. For the person who said "expedia," thanks a heap, I went there and everywhere else. What I wanted - guess I wasn't clear - was some site that showed all flights leaving MCI that morning to ANYWHERE that I could connect her through without having to put in each city separately. Does anyone happen to know the nearest airport with a nonstop to the DC area? I would drive all night if I had too. I checked into getting her into DCA or IAD from MCI earlier and didn't find anything. If an 11:37 am arrival in Richmond is the best we can do, then so be it.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G2
Thanks all. I looked at all of those. For the person who said "expedia," thanks a heap, I went there and everywhere else. What I wanted - guess I wasn't clear - was some site that showed all flights leaving MCI that morning to ANYWHERE that I could connect her through without having to put in each city separately. Does anyone happen to know the nearest airport with a nonstop to the DC area? I would drive all night if I had too. I checked into getting her into DCA or IAD from MCI earlier and didn't find anything. If an 11:37 am arrival in Richmond is the best we can do, then so be it.
Sorry that was me. UA has non stops MCI-IAD. US Airways has them MCI -DCA. Southwest has them to BWI
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G2
Frontier has a non-stop from MCI to DCA. Arrives at 10:55AM on Sep. 1. US has non-stops from MCI to DCA on most days of the week, but there is currently nothing in the schedule for Sep 1. UA does not operate their morning departure from MCI to IAD on Sundays. Ditto for WN on MCI to BWI.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:56 am
G2

What about St Louis or Oklahoma City or someplace I could drive to Saturday night to get on an earlier flight on Sunday? DC area traffic is monstrous on summer weekends so 95 south to Richmond from DC takes 3 hours minimum.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Bonvoy
The problem the OP is facing is that this is the Labor Day Weekend, so airlines trim the already thinner number of flights available, especially in the middle days of long weekends. On other Sunday mornings during the year, there may be additional flights, but on the early Sunday morning of this particular weekend, the flight they have already found may be their best option. The good news is that delays should be few at that hour as air traffic and airport congestion should be light. Best of luck.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Didn't see this in here, so sorry if I just missed it, but what about car rentals at MCI? Do you have to take a bus/shuttle or is it onsite? I'm using National (Executive).

Also, driving from there to Olathe. Looks like it's pretty much interstate--any tips or suggestions here? I'll be going to Olathe mid-morning on Friday and returning to MCI early, early on Sunday.

Thanks

PS--For those who weighed in on upgrade chances on a thread I started a few weeks back--many thanks. I do have an upgrade on the outbound, and the return one looks like it will clear at the five-day window tomorrow.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by atl runner
Didn't see this in here, so sorry if I just missed it, but what about car rentals at MCI? Do you have to take a bus/shuttle or is it onsite? I'm using National (Executive).

Also, driving from there to Olathe. Looks like it's pretty much interstate--any tips or suggestions here? I'll be going to Olathe mid-morning on Friday and returning to MCI early, early on Sunday.
All of the rental car agencies have been consolidated into an off-site facility, though it's only a two-three minute ride on the shuttle bus.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
All of the rental car agencies have been consolidated into an off-site facility, though it's only a two-three minute ride on the shuttle bus.
Thanks--almost sounds like you could walk it--though it probably wouldn't be that pleasant of a walk.

Each company has their own shuttle or just a generic one for all?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by atl runner
Thanks--almost sounds like you could walk it--though it probably wouldn't be that pleasant of a walk.

Each company has their own shuttle or just a generic one for all?
You could walk, though I would not recommend it.

All of the rental companies share the same bus- look for the grey 40' bus that will pick up from the outer island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.