Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI - The Definitive Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former Diamond
I just got smoking guns BBQ... definitely awesome! Bought a bottle of their sauce too!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
As a MCI based Delta FO who travels on Monday mornings, I have yet to receive an upgrade to any hub out of MCI, but that is to be expected. Delta has a LOT more elites in MCI than they used to, say, 3-5 years ago.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:27 pm

"I can see the appeal for local MCI travelers to have the TSA right at the pod of DL gates and basically walk from the curb. On the other hand, if you want to find food, you are really stuck. MCI-ATL was delayed and so I went up to the KC Crown room lounge thing at gate 58 and they had already closed their kitchen. The little snacky area had nothing but garbage."

What is the Crown Room lounge thing? I thought that was closed a few years ago, much to my dismay, but since I haven't been there since then, I really can't complain.

I agree with most other comments. It's a great airport for locals, not so much for connectors. If they think that building a new terminal will give them additional nonstops, that would have to come from a hub, and after all the failed attempts to hub there, I'm hard pressed to think which airline might be interested. There are fewer hubs these days.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by PIONEER
MCI-ATL was delayed and so I went up to the KC Crown room lounge thing at gate 58 and they had already closed their kitchen.

What is the Crown Room lounge thing?.
It is a restaurant with bar open to all and nothing to do with SkyClub. It has Kansas City Royals themed food. The food is very ordinary but the beers are not bad. It is right by gate 58 air-side which is the bit I like about it. So at least you do not have to back through security. It is not too bad for plane watching and you can see the plane arriving at gate 58.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
MCI is barely adequate as an airport, and was never designed to be a hub.

Is that definitive enough?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
The layout of MCI worked as a hub before security mattered. Whether it ever worked economically as a hub is the better question.

As someone who likes the progress of the city in other areas (Power and Light, downtown arena, etc.), I could be convinced on the terminal, but dislike the rosy scenarios, as others have mentioned, which depend on assumptions of more direct flights and retail revenue from connecting passengers. Give me a better business case and I could be convinced--but in the absence of that justifying the investment on a lower TSA cost doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Just watch this video, and you'll be sold on the single-terminal plan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ofjOxkgX4

One of the biggest sells with MCI going to a single-terminal will allow the airport to implement TSA PreCheck. You also need a physical DL boarding pass at MCI currently, and it must be on the ever small list of major airports that still don't have e-boarding pass support. So those conveniences are enough to sell me. The airport's two biggest carriers, WN and DL are in Terminal B (as they can't fit anywhere else) and if you ever been in there at 6-7am on a Monday, you are on the side of wanting the new MCI. Most of the outcry are from casual fliers, or non-MCI based casuals who just barely use the airport if you ask me. Live and breathe this non-sense weekly and you'll change your mind.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
MCI is barely adequate as an airport, and was never designed to be a hub.

Is that definitive enough?
Well, it actually was designed to be a hub (TW). It was placed slightly too far out of the city to be convenient for many, and the current location was selected only because the MO legislators raised hell when a superior location in KS was suggested (at an already existing airfield closer to most of the users of the airport).

KCI (as most call it, rather than MCI) is perfect for what I use it for, but with all of the already mentioned drawbacks for travelers w/o status. The airport certainly has plenty of space to work with when/if building a new terminal, but it would be a huge new burden on the taxpayers already paying off Sprint Center and Truman Sports Complex expansions. I suppose that the design of the new terminal would determine my support, as I love the ability to park and be at the gate less than 10mins later. That is not possible at most airports (at least not those w/o PreCheck).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
It is a restaurant with bar open to all and nothing to do with SkyClub. It has Kansas City Royals themed food. The food is very ordinary but the beers are not bad. It is right by gate 58 air-side which is the bit I like about it. So at least you do not have to back through security. It is not too bad for plane watching and you can see the plane arriving at gate 58.
So is that upstairs where the Crown Room used to be? Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I do not know. In the late 90s and most of the 2000s I was a CO man through and through so always out of Terminal C.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is called KC Top of the Crown Grill
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
We have pro sports teams that have always had their own stadiums. I think the Jackson County taxpayers just put some big cash into Arrowhead Stadium renovations. They put some rental car tax in place and built the Sprint Center downtown. There isn't even a legit tenant for that building (what Arena Football?) yet it was constructed.
But only one team that wins, playing at arguably the best soccer stadium in the country.

Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by technole
You also need a physical DL boarding pass at MCI currently, and it must be on the ever small list of major airports that still don't have e-boarding pass support.
To this point, they have an e-boarding pass scanner for American in Terminal C (and I think someone upthread mentioned United as well), does anybody know why the Delta gates haven't gotten one yet?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Yes, where the Delta crown room was. Oh I wish the club was back, cheap vodka and all.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice

As someone who likes the progress of the city in other areas (Power and Light, downtown arena, etc.), I could be convinced on the terminal, but dislike the rosy scenarios, as others have mentioned, which depend on assumptions of more direct flights and retail revenue from connecting passengers. Give me a better business case and I could be convinced--but in the absence of that justifying the investment on a lower TSA cost doesn't seem to make sense.
As you and I have both noted the City has an inordinate amount of nice public venues and facilities save for the airport terminals. I guess this would suggest that KC is still an island surrounded by I-435. Nothing much happening outside that ring would seem to interest the population...(read: nobody really ever goes anywhere lol). It's the only plausible explanation for a City having so many modern facilities mated with one of the most outdated air transportation set-ups going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.