Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Required to Check In

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 8:25 pm

Denied boarding for failing to present credit card?

Hi all,

I have a Skymiles Business Class booking from JFK-DKR tomorrow night.

This evening, I attempted to check in online was told that I would be unable to check in because I am required to show my credit card.

The problem? The credit card was cancelled due to a fraudulent charge and it no longer exists.

The first online support representative indicated that I would be denied boarding. Is this true? If so, I'm pretty upset. I've spent more than $1000 for visas, hotels and internal flights for this trip.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:32 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I've never heard of this before. Something to do with the fact that DKR is the destination?

Do you have old statements with the old card number and any correspondence from the credit card company regarding the fraudulent charge?
Old May 10, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Is your address, or the CC registered overseas? That could be part of it. Best bet is probably to print out an old statement or call the CC company and have them fax/email you one.

Is it your skymiles account that you booked the award with, and is the CC in your name? If so, it will probably be okay at the airport. If the miles and/or CC were from someone else but you are traveling, then you might have a problem.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's an anti-fraud measure and DKR is perhaps the most fraud prone location in the world.

Call back, get a supervisor. DL may be able to verify that your new card # is associated with the same account as the old # and allow you to present the new card.

Alternatively, a supervisor may be able to override the system and allow a new ticket to be issued in the same fare bucket and at the same price as the old ticket and then cancel and refund the old ticket.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by us2
I've never heard of this before. Something to do with the fact that DKR is the destination?

Do you have old statements with the old card number and any correspondence from the credit card company regarding the fraudulent charge?
There are several existing threads on this requirement. This is nothing new. Here is of the more recent ones --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ard-check.html
Old May 10, 2013, 9:07 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by LBJ
There are several existing threads on this requirement. This is nothing new. Here is of the more recent ones --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ard-check.html
Thanks for the link. Always good to learn something new.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by us2
Thanks for the link. Always good to learn something new.
When I've had to "present the card", not on DL, but on TG in Thailand, it was sufficient to recite the old card number. I have gotten the "must present card" warning on Delta.com when using my wife's account and cc to buy a ticket for me. At that point, I gave up and used my own log-in and cc.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I have had to do this on QR, CZ, and EY. Not all the flights with them but some of the flights. The gate agent does nothing except look at the card so there is no way of them knowing if the card has been canceled.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tennis69
I have had to do this on QR, CZ, and EY. Not all the flights with them but some of the flights. The gate agent does nothing except look at the card so there is no way of them knowing if the card has been canceled.
The problem is that when a card is cancelled or has expired, many people do as they're told and cut up the card and then throw away the pieces. Now one apparently one must retain the old card and carry it around for up to a year just in case it's needed in order to board a plane using a ticket that may have been purchased with that card.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
re: Denied boarding for failing to present credit card?

Originally Posted by Often1
It's an anti-fraud measure and DKR is perhaps the most fraud prone location in the world.

Call back, get a supervisor. DL may be able to verify that your new card # is associated with the same account as the old # and allow you to present the new card.

Alternatively, a supervisor may be able to override the system and allow a new ticket to be issued in the same fare bucket and at the same price as the old ticket and then cancel and refund the old ticket.
grlmopz,
I travel to Africa several times per year. If I fly into Nairobi, they have asked for me to show the credit card I used to purchase the ticket. Though, when I fly into JRO (Kilimanjaro Intl Airport) they do not ask. As it was explained to me, they have anti-fraud measures in place, and so the requirement to show the card.

The GA stated it was to high risk locations where CC fraud was prevalent.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Often1
No, that would be LOS, with ABV as a close second.

Last edited by Sabai; May 11, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old May 11, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
As long as your name is the same on the CC and on the ticket, I don't see why the would even want to physically see the card.

OTOH, I wonder if the CC merchant agreement even permits them to physically require to see a card post-sale. (the purchase of the ticket is already completed, and charged, at the time of issuance, not the time of travel.)
Old May 11, 2013, 6:02 am

Happened to me, I didn't have an old credit card. All they did was charge my current card the same amount and also issued a credit on the original transaction.

I think they increased their risk doing this as they already had the money from the first charge (made 11 months earlier) but it was far less painful a process than it could have been.

An additional technique would be to just use another card and then claim a credit card refund after you return as you have documentation it was a duplicate charge
Old May 11, 2013, 6:10 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that when a card is cancelled or has expired, many people do as they're told and cut up the card and then throw away the pieces. Now one apparently one must retain the old card and carry it around for up to a year just in case it's needed in order to board a plane using a ticket that may have been purchased with that card.
I had to do just that in Peru. I luckily held on to the card after cancellation.
We booked an Avois redemption LIM-CUS (a great value) on LAN and Rail tickets on Peru Rail from Ollantatambo to Machu Picchu
The card was canceled for suspected fraud.
At the Lima Airport we had to get the Lima Rail tickets
(for those who have not been there, it makes air tickets in 3rd world look positively easy by comparison)
We had 10 min to get the tickets and rush to gate and the agent took almost 9 min using that card for something or other. If we had brought the card, there was no way for him to do whatever he needed to do.
A Pre-Berlin wall East European state would not have had so much to do woth all our passports as Peru does for the Inca city.
For those who do decide to go to CUS, we found on landing that there is a PeruRail booth in Cusco (unlike LIM it is not manned all the time, so there may be a big wait, but good to know it is available if you miss it in Lima)
Old May 11, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by ffI
At the Lima Airport we had to get the Lima Rail tickets
(for those who have not been there, it makes air tickets in 3rd world look positively easy by comparison)
Of course, Peru IS a third world country, by definition. (Typo for 2nd world?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.