Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WWGuy
This person claims to "Manage the product strategy, design, and implementation of the product across all Delta Sky Club locations and third-party lounges."

His email address includes a middle initial and can be found with a little help from Google.

www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-berger/35/a05/a00/
Given that he's been in this position for a little over a year and that's probably about how long it takes to renegotiate provisioning contracts and implement changes, looks like we've identified the party responsible for hosing us!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
No, the regular (slow) WiFi will still be complimentary, but you will be able to use the "Premium WiFi" for a slight hourly charge.

After that, I expect coin and credit card slots on the power outlets
Eh come on - don't give them ideas - this is exactly what may happen - shudder
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Ironic coincidence or conspiracy?

This person claims to "Manage the product strategy, design, and implementation of the product across all Delta Sky Club locations and third-party lounges."

His email address includes a middle initial and can be found with a little help from Google.

I clicked the above link to view the profile. In the right side ad column was the following:

Picture yourself at Diageo
My profile pic next to the Diageo logo
My name
Sales at Diageo
[View Jobs] button

Hmmmmm...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I used to be a pretty staunch defender of DL. Living in MSP, I stood by them before and after the NWA merger. I simply preferred the personnel, aircraft and routes.

I also liked seeing the trend in the Skyclubs to offer local craft beer.

In the last few months, however, I have seen DL go on a binge of cost "initiatives" that finally crossed the line with the Skyclub alcohol decision. I now criticize this airline and the poor choices they have recently made. I have yet to talk to a single Skyclub member who is even neutral about this decision. All have been angry.

Maybe it's the long term plan to lessen crowding by driving out us booze "freeloaders". Either way, my 3-year membership will lapse when due. In the meantime, I'll continue to order premium drinks, express shock when asked to pay for it, then walk away. Suck on it, Delta.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have the e-mail address of the person who apparently is the current Sky Club general manager.

This was freely and openly provided to me by another DL employee.

What are the proprieties/improprieties of posting the e-mail address here?

Thoughts?

No, it's not that person.

I have decided not to post the name. I guess I have more regard for preserving someone's privacy that he has for preserving customer service.

People wishing to e-mail should be directing their correspondence to Anderson and Hauenstein anyway.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

I can assure you that person is reading these posts, every single one of them. But don't blame him, not his idea.

I have the e-mail address of the person who apparently is the current Sky Club general manager.

This was freely and openly provided to me by another DL employee.

What are the proprieties/improprieties of posting the e-mail address here?

Thoughts?
Gotta go higher: Glen W. Hauenstein executive vice president Network Planning, Revenue Management and Marketing is the brains behind this move and lack of creative options to raise revenue in the clubs (as well as the award calendar, tight awards avail, etc.)

Please don't harass the good people who work day-in-day out and understand our experience, talk to Glen. He loves HVC FlyerTalkers
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

This guy has got to have some interesting LinkedIn metrics this week..."Your profile has been viewed by 5,620 people in the last 7 days"

Seriously, let's get focused on this gin/baileys boondoggle and quit letting our focus stray towards partner mile benefits and the like...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
This makes my wife feel better

I haven't tried this (and quite honestly am not that happy about my wife doing this) but Mrs. Reds says it makes her feel good when she orders a double Bailey's on the rock and when the bartender tells her it's $14, she will act surprised and say it was free just a couple weeks ago and then order a diet coke and declines the Bailey's stating she can get a better pour for less at Friday's. She has done this four times now (the first time she wasn't aware of the change) and none of the times has the bartender volunteered the change to her until after the drink is poured.

She is hoping wasted drinks get reported to HQ and maybe Delta's management will get the hint that not every patron is going to cough up $14 for a drink out of guilt.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Now that one can't consume beverages in the SkyClub freely, the mind is much more able to focus on several issues at once!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
My experience last week was the that DL staff at the clubs (not the contract "mixologists" ) were pretty embarrassed by the changes.

Anyone else picking up on that?
Yup. Visited 3 clubs this past weekend and there did seem to be a slight sense of embarrassment by the DL employees. Sat at the bar and watched as the contract bartender explained to person after person that what was complimentary the previous week now required payment. No one opted for the Gordon's products. Unlike other posters, I saw no one buying anything, and while I was there (1 hour) he received a grand total of $3 in tips, $1 of which was from me for my diet coke.
I saw the same two weeks ago when I was visiting several DL SC's. Really was sad in SLC

Originally Posted by fattieonboard
Seems Kirkland brand liquor from Costco and a few sample carts would be a better Sky Club offering. Or would this be too upscale?
Whatever. Like most other Kirkland-branded offerings, Kirkland spirits usually get great reviews. Kirkland Signature vodka is often compared to Grey Goose and many who enjoy smooth quality vodka (like me) actually prefer it over GG. In my opinion Kirkland Signature brand liquors are preferable to all complimentary spirits ever offered in the Sky Club.
Yes, this would be much more upscale than what DL offered before. Well I am still partial to WR, but the KS Bourbon is a close second, beats Makers Mark IMO. And which type of bourbon is offered now?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I'm sitting in the DCA SC right now. At the stroke of 0600, when service of adult beverages became lawful in the Commonwealth of Virginia, I ordered a Bloody Mary and a half shot or so of Gordon's Vodka neat, so that a trained palate such as mine could comment on "L'affaire du Gordon".

First, a taste test of Gordon's Vodka neat. The nose had hints of Aqua Velva that had been sitting in an open bottle for, say, three days or so. The feel in the mouth was slightly oily; no burning sensation was noted. The taste in the mouth had notes of vodka and was definitely alcoholic. There was no burn going down the hatch. No noticeable aftertaste was discerned.

Next, I'm tucked into a bloody mary in the traditional Delta style; ice in the glass, then booze, then Mr. & Mrs. T mix from a can. No Worcestershire sauce was on the bar. To be perfectly honest, I can't tell much of a difference between Skyy and Gordon's.

Flame away.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I haven't tried this (and quite honestly am not that happy about my wife doing this) but Mrs. Reds says it makes her feel good when she orders a double Bailey's on the rock and when the bartender tells her it's $14, she will act surprised and say it was free just a couple weeks ago and then order a diet coke and declines the Bailey's stating she can get a better pour for less at Friday's. She has done this four times now (the first time she wasn't aware of the change) and none of the times has the bartender volunteered the change to her until after the drink is poured.

She is hoping wasted drinks get reported to HQ and maybe Delta's management will get the hint that not every patron is going to cough up $14 for a drink out of guilt.
I think that is a brilliant idea, actually.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think that is a brilliant idea, actually.
^^

I think they have a lot of gall charging $7 for a captain also. I'd expect that bottle to sit there in the rack and evaporate before it gets consumed. Same with the baileys... I think that will be an ultra-low selling item especially when somebody orders one and sees that the measured shot results in a awful looking drink that is all ice and has only a sip of the liquor at the bottom.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ND76
I'm sitting in the DCA SC right now. At the stroke of 0600, when service of adult beverages became lawful in the Commonwealth of Virginia, I ordered a Bloody Mary and a half shot or so of Gordon's Vodka neat, so that a trained palate such as mine could comment on "L'affaire du Gordon".

First, a taste test of Gordon's Vodka neat. The nose had hints of Aqua Velva that had been sitting in an open bottle for, say, three days or so. The feel in the mouth was slightly oily; no burning sensation was noted. The taste in the mouth had notes of vodka and was definitely alcoholic. There was no burn going down the hatch. No noticeable aftertaste was discerned.

Next, I'm tucked into a bloody mary in the traditional Delta style; ice in the glass, then booze, then Mr. & Mrs. T mix from a can. No Worcestershire sauce was on the bar. To be perfectly honest, I can't tell much of a difference between Skyy and Gordon's.

Flame away.
Keep your day job That trained palate is letting you down.....
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by ND76
Flame away.

I don't think there will be much flaming...if it works for you, that's great. I suspect there are even some folks who are Gordon's drinkers who are delighted with the change.

I prefer Sapphire, but Tanqueray was completely acceptable. Gordon's is a low rate brand of gin. Nothing wrong with that, it hits its target market, but it isn't comparable to S or T.

In addition to the downgrade, I am perhaps just as ticked about the way DL handled this change, and the annoying trend of trying to spin chicken s**t into chicken salad. They claimed they made this change based, in part, on customer feedback and to standardize offerings throughout all clubs. Claim #1 (customer feedback) is just laughable. Claim #2 is ridiculous, as to my knowledge Tanqueray is available nationwide. Perhaps some of the local brews are not, but is that a big deal?

DL says they want to be the airline of the business person, and the clubs are advertised as an oasis of peace, offering complimentary premium spirits. Gordon's clearly doesn't fit into this marketing plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.