Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Dwayne...Where are you getting your information from regarding the same fare class needing to be available? According to the policy - "You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight." Class of service is NOT the same as "Fare Class". I just confirmed with someone at the DIAMOND DESK.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
This change with the fare class is shameful.

I have no issue with the $50. If I have a 4PM flight and I can change it from 1PM-7PM for free, but $50 beyond that - I am okay with that. For me the biggest issue was you could never change to a later flight unless you were willing to go without a flight (i.e. this lets you take a morning flight and switch it to a late flight).

No beef paying the $50. Would have been a nice happy medium. DL gets to generate some more $$, some people like me happier, others upset....More money for the company and equal number of people happy/upset = good negotiation.

HOWEVER, the fare class thing basically tells you the DL wants to STOP the SDC. There is no way that on the day of travel you are going to find a K,L,U,T fare on a major route - basically telling you NO SDC for you on those fares.

The entire re-adjustment of this is a smoking mirror. The true intent here is to effectively eliminate MOST people's ablity to SDC.

I am generally a pretty big defender of DL here, but this is really over the top.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by mfullmer
Dwayne...Where are you getting your information from regarding the same fare class needing to be available? According to the policy - "You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight." Class of service is NOT the same as "Fare Class". I just confirmed with someone at the DIAMOND DESK.
While I agree with your read, if you look at the way they word the sentence in the CURRENT policy and thew NEW policy I think you can infer their intent - which is consist with Dwayne

CURRENT: "You will be booked in the same class of service you were originally ticketed."

NEW: "You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight."
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Wow, that's a stretch. It says the same thing, it's just worded differently.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:38 pm

Who Loses?

Is the end result that high value customers can't easily SDC?

Ultimately do the seats go out empty, or to non-revs?

Imagine the confusion for agents too, trying to convince them that you don't owe them $50 because it's within three hours.

A lot of TA's would use SDC as a way to re-book late arrivals, is this not possible now due to same fare class rules? You suddenly have a flat tire, and now they want to re-book the entire reservation because they can't re-book you into the same class?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
HOWEVER, the fare class thing basically tells you the DL wants to STOP the SDC. There is no way that on the day of travel you are going to find a K,L,U,T fare on a major route - basically telling you NO SDC for you on those fares.

The entire re-adjustment of this is a smoking mirror. The true intent here is to effectively eliminate MOST people's ablity to SDC.
Yep unless you purchase a Fully Refundable fare , you're not gonna be able to rely on getting onto any other flight other then the one you were tkted for

The Airlines with the exception of those on Full fares dont make their money any longer selling the tkts.their profits are from teh Fees they charge.

Burger King only gives its Whopper away for 99 cents since it knows most people are gonna buy french fries and a soda as well,and thats where their profit lies. Supermarkets have their Loss-leaders since they know most folks will fill their basket up with items not on sale and net result a nice profit. But as things are thats been changing where more and more only buy whats on sale.Thats why many supermarkets are starting up again with an * Additonal purchase of $XX is needed on non-sale items
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I think what this will do is basically shift most of us from being able to SDC, to being able to SDS (same day standby). Elites will probably still be able to get on those flights with seats available, but it means that you will not get on the upgrade list and will not be able to select a seat.

So it used to be that I could SDC to any flight the same day (if available), get a shot at an upgrade, and if sitting in Y have a likely shot at an aisle/window EC seat. Now the options will likely be: fly up front on the original flight or take a middle seat in the back of the optimal flight (while lower medallions get the UG).
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Thanks for the drive by posting, and the immediate dash to ignoring any follow up questions.
^

Surprised?

Delta has repeatedly shown in the last year that they have absolutely no interest in any real communication with their customers, i.e. dialogue with engagement. The dictatorial, one-way pronouncements like DL utilizes sure don't fly in my in my field of work.

I thought this was the modern era. What a shame that a seemingly successful company has decided to waste the loyalty of their customers along with the skills and enthusiasm of their service employees. Might make a good case study someday.

I have never had a bad experience on DL, but it looks like the high point for enjoyable flying on Delta will be seen as the two years after the DL/NW merger. It's downhill from here.

I will occassionally fly DL, but all 2013 flights will credit to AS, and I don't see myself willing to play the MQD game in during 2014.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mfullmer
Pathetic.

Another case of a business or entire indutsry where the customer is more knowledgable about the products & services than the business itself that is selling them.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by dsldog400
^

Surprised?

Delta has repeatedly shown in the last year that they have absolutely no interest in any real communication with their customers, i.e. dialogue with engagement. The dictatorial, one-way pronouncements like DL utilizes sure don't fly in my in my field of work.

I thought this was the modern era. What a shame that a seemingly successful company has decided to waste the loyalty of their customers along with the skills and enthusiasm of their service employees. Might make a good case study someday.

I have never had a bad experience on DL, but it looks like the high point for enjoyable flying on Delta will be seen as the two years after the DL/NW merger. It's downhill from here.

I will occassionally fly DL, but all 2013 flights will credit to AS, and I don't see myself willing to play the MQD game in during 2014.
Originally Posted by dsldog400
Pathetic.

Another case of a business or entire indutsry where the customer is more knowledgable about the products & services than the business itself that is selling them.
If you take a step back, look at the responses in this thread and those of the original rumor thread, would you want to jump into the snake pit?

I think if people focused more on exacting questions vice attacking, "screaming," and the like, corporate reps might be more inclined to participate.

The "anonymity" of the Internet seems to make some perfectly sane adults act like whining children. This tends to drown out the very worthwhile questions some FTers have posted about this change.

Are there those of us who know more about various DL programs and offerings than the employees? Absolutely...it always amuses me when I explain to a DM Desk agent what the worst Economy Comfort seats are and why...then again, my butt probably spends more time there than many employees...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by craz
The Airlines with the exception of those on Full fares dont make their money any longer selling the tkts.their profits are from teh Fees they charge.
Like many of you, I do not game the system, but as a business traveler, have relied on this key benefit when meetings cancel or work gets done early.

I can accept devaluation of the skypeso. I can accept first class monetization. I can put up with defective online booking - but don't effectively eliminate my SDC!

Other airlines are allowing you to find flexibility across their fare classes, albeit at a small price increase/upcharge.

If only Delta had followed their path instead. I would have been much happier paying a $10 same-day flexibility charge, on top of my LUTVXE class ticket, at the time of booking, when I thought my plans might finish early. I bet they would have made more money that way, too.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by planecrazy63
For the person who said "yes another one gone" - even jokingly. Yes one gone at least in part who has been a loyal Delta flyer from a young age. In my business we always encourage businesses to look at lifetime value and I have just hit in the last 3-5 years my prime spending years...now Delta will lose out on a larger porition of that spend because I won't have the flexibility I need day to day.
^

Well said. I'm 52 years old and at a decent point in my field. I can eat anything I want today (even if it's a ham sandwich or lobster), sleep anywhere I want tonight (in a Hyatt or under a bridge), and with 30 minutes spent on the computer today, can be on my way to anywhere in the world tomorrow, on the flights & planes of my choosing.

In the past seven years, I have enjoyed flying Delta jets, with or without status.

From here on out, I won't be choosing Delta (if I happen to) based upon my past experiences, and if I can't expect my next trip to be as enjoyable as the last, I won't choose DL.

Has to be the most basic example of an ACTION / REACTION scenario.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Its gonna be You get what you pay for,or pay up for those extras you may want. Dont bother switching from DL ,Im 100% positive UA & AA are not far behind
IDK. I think this may be an opportunity for UA and AA to make a play for DL's medallions. While all three will still get their money, if UA and AA can figure out a way to do it without pissing of their elites and enticing DL's medallions, it will be a major win for them.

I'm sure there are people in the exec offices of UA and AA running these scenarios as we speak.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Loquascious
IDK. I think this may be an opportunity for UA and AA to make a play for DL's medallions. While all three will still get their money, if UA and AA can figure out a way to do it without pissing of their elites and enticing DL's medallions, it will be a major win for them.

I'm sure there are people in the exec offices of UA and AA running these scenarios as we speak.
This could be Frontier Airline's move to keep them afloat. They should target travelers out west, and offer a PM/DM status challenge to their "Summit" tier, which still includes free SDC.

If only Frontier had a better network for me in the Southwestern US, I'd be their best new customer.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by grahampros
As much as many are unhappy, this seems more in line with what the other carriers do. It's been either stand buy or confirmed changes on AA for a while now. The only difference seems to be same fare class, but i see to recall UA also has that in place.
What DL is implementing is not what AA or UA have done. The difference is materially significant for passengers and DL is counting on that difference as bringing about a material gain at the expense of DL customers in a way that doesn't hold true with AA or UA and their customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.