Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Today, DFW-ATL, booked on an evening flight, got done early, went to airport, in Pre-Check line at 12:58, called DL, got placed on SB list...

Got through Pre-Check, looked at monitor...one open seat and I'm on top of the list. Turns out to be a window seat. On the plane now, getting home hours earlier and didn't have to pay a thing.

So far, I've been able to get on every flight I've wanted to get on, without paying a fee, and haven't had to pay any fees.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Previously you would've been able to call before leaving for the airport, SDC to that flight and be on the upgrade list for no fee instead of playing the standby game where you could've easily been sitting there waiting for the next flight.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Previously you would've been able to call before leaving for the airport, SDC to that flight and be on the upgrade list for no fee instead of playing the standby game where you could've easily been sitting there waiting for the next flight.
Good post. You are correct. Thank you
Old May 10, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Failed;

Purchase a last minute A fare for 1300 (that turned out to be a Q-UP ) Scheduled on 6:10 IAH-LGA today. Tried to get on the 3:25, nothing in my fare bucket. No dice. Went to the airport a little early anyway. Got to gate to try and SDS. Sorry it's full.

Spending 3 hrs in airport with no DL lounge or even a bar
Old May 10, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Did you stay at the gate? Were there others on the SB list?
Old May 10, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Failed;

Purchase a last minute A fare for 1300 (that turned out to be a Q-UP ) Scheduled on 6:10 IAH-LGA today. Tried to get on the 3:25, nothing in my fare bucket. No dice. Went to the airport a little early anyway. Got to gate to try and SDS. Sorry it's full.

Spending 3 hrs in airport with no DL lounge or even a bar
Thanks for posting. Much appreciated. For anyone posting results (especially with UP fares), please let us know if the coach bucket (in this case Q) and the first class bucket (in this case A) were available. If you don't know this, several on this board can check for you prior to departure.

We are trying to understand if you were denied because either A or Q was not available. My guess is both need to be available to confirm you.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
New SDS vs SDC.

A couple of posts ago, a poster talked about having to use SDS, because SDC was not available (I'm guessing no seats in his fare bucket). All worked out well for him.

Recently, I changed flights where the flight I wanted to take was 5 hours earlier than my original flight. I managed to get SDC under the old rules (with some difficulty -- deltaassist still wanted to charge me $50)), however:

- There were 9's across the board
- Because it was more than 3 hours earlier, SDC would have been $50
- I would have been happy to SDS, but I don't think it would have been allowed, because SDC would have "been available" The new rules say:
"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available"

This is all going to really suck. There's very little benefit here for medallions anymore.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Didn't the old rules also offer SDS to elites when SDC wasn't possible? IIRC the old reules said that nonelites cannot SDS unless they were affected by IROPs.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Here is another data point:

Flew to SFO yesterday for a meeting with a client with the intentions of staying for a little vacation. Decided last night o head back home so I purchased a K fare SJC-SLC-JFK departing at 10:30 am. Woke up later than I should have so was able to co-terminal change to OAK-LAX-JFK at 10:20 Am. Booked in K fare and upgraded in both legs.

I tried to make this change via Twitter to save time (so it could be done while I was rushing to leave) and they gave me some runaround that its a co-terminal change and a fee applied. I called DM line and it was done.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Basically from recent experiences they seem to still be allowing co-terminal changes which is very helpful for situations like explained above. I've also been monitoring the fare buckets for the routes that I frequently travel on and usually inventory is available on the flights that I fly.

This new "enhancement" only really APPEARS to screw me on personal travel on the cheap fares (LUT and the new ones) as unless the flights are wide open no availability will show on day of.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Didn't the old rules also offer SDS to elites when SDC wasn't possible? IIRC the old reules said that nonelites cannot SDS unless they were affected by IROPs.
I think you do recall correctly. I remember, not that long ago, being at DTW where the GA was goading 3 of us that we were not going to get on a flight about to close, unless we were diamond, plat or gold. She was crestfallen when I insisted she put me (mere gold) on the list. When I did board, there were whole clusters of exit row seats unassigned.

GA's were frequently reported on this board as stating that "DL doesn't do standby anymore".
Old May 10, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Success

Flying back from SLC - ATL with a broken fare (SLC-xxx, xxx-ATL) that priced into G, not sure which up-fare. Changed to direct that left 45 minutes earlier. Called diamond line and they could only change me to coach. Decided against it, then rethought it at the airport. Went to sky club, they said no dice. Oh well, except other sky club agent said to mine that she called help desk for someone else on similar itinerary, and they allowed the change. Not only that, help desk got me back into first on the direct. My agent was dumbfounded, as was I.
Old May 11, 2013, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maizeandblue96
Flying back from SLC - ATL with a broken fare (SLC-xxx, xxx-ATL) that priced into G, not sure which up-fare. Changed to direct that left 45 minutes earlier. Called diamond line and they could only change me to coach. Decided against it, then rethought it at the airport. Went to sky club, they said no dice. Oh well, except other sky club agent said to mine that she called help desk for someone else on similar itinerary, and they allowed the change. Not only that, help desk got me back into first on the direct. My agent was dumbfounded, as was I.
If I understand right, this would not have been allowed as a SDC under the old rules because the broken fare would require the same connecting routing as your original ticket. Apparently your experience says that one can not only go from connecting to nonstop on SDC (but not SDS?) under the new rules, but can now do so even on broken fares, but doing so can require escalation as many agents don't know this.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I understand right, this would not have been allowed as a SDC under the old rules because the broken fare would require the same connecting routing as your original ticket. Apparently your experience says that one can not only go from connecting to nonstop on SDC (but not SDS?) under the new rules, but can now do so even on broken fares, but doing so can require escalation as many agents don't know this.
That is how I understood it, but then I just stood there and watched it unfold. What was interesting was that my agent kept asking the help desk for documentation on how to do this and kept repeating to them that she did not think this was allowed under the rules, but that the rules were confusing.

Two of us may have gotten lucky, although the diamond desk said this was allowed too, except for the availability in first. Take this as merely one of many data points.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rylan
Likely incorrect: under the old scheme, I wouldn't have been on the plane. One of the ~40 other people on the SB list would have likely done a SDC long before I knew I was at the airport early enough to get on the 1:30 flight. Instead, a little over a half hour prior to the flight, I was able to leapfrog over everyone else on the list, including the Plat standing next to me when I was looking at the board who never got on the plane. (Had brief conversation with him.)

My presentation wasn't ending until 12:30, so I wouldn't have done a SDC to a 1:30 flight. Under the old scheme, I would have aimed for the 2:45 flight.

While I liked the old system, this one is not panning out to be the gloom and doom many predicted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.